Under Review

Opera browser support for the toolbar

Userlevel 2
I know Chrome is now popular and there is a good chance the next version (2013) of WSA will support it, but I would also like to see in that future release support for Opera browser as well. It is my favourite browser and apparently the favourite (or browser of choice by useage) of  5.24% of other people on the internet (taken from Feb 2012 statistics on http://www.cygy.com) . I am only using Firefox because your toolbar doesnt support Opera. Check these statistics out (they are approximate but will still give you an idea) 5.24% (of people using Opera browser) X (multiplied by) Webroots 14 million users (taken from http://www.webroot.com.au), and you have potentially 733600 webroot customers who would value your toolbar supporting Opera browser.....

Food for thought!

13 replies

Userlevel 7
I cast my vote for Opera support as well so I second Sturie. Opera is my prime browser regardless on equipment (PC or phone). I tried also FF and Chrome but always returned back to Opera because no other browser can match it, at least for me. Though to be honest Chrome looks promisingly but is losing on features Opera has (in-built mail client, IRC client etc.) and still Chrome needs to be polished heavily. Anyway I have to admit that I hate FF. So the day when WSA fully supports Opera is the one to celebrate 🙂
Userlevel 7
The toolbar is only used for the password management function, and Opera is actually otherwise supported. All of the other functions in WSA will work in Opera. However, the idea to get the toolbar into Opera is a good one. We encourage anyone who likes this idea to add kudos to it.
Userlevel 7
@ wrote:
The toolbar is only used for the password management function, and Opera is actually otherwise supported. All of the other functions in WSA will work in Opera. However, the idea to get the toolbar into Opera is a good one. We encourage anyone who likes this idea to add kudos to it.
Webroot does not seem to block pages in Opera as it does on IE, Firefox, and Chrome. I can go to a page that I know is blocked in Chrome by Webroot and do not get the blocked graphic in Opera. The page opens with no warning.
Userlevel 7
Cohbraz, I've seen that issue occur before as well. Development reports that we should see some improvements to the Web Threat Shield that should remedy that kind of situation in the coming months.
Userlevel 7
The toolbar is only used for the password management function, and Opera is actually otherwise supported. All of the other functions in WSA will work in Opera. As far as getting the toolbar into Opera is concerned, this is doable, but we would like to see a stronger demand before moving in that direction. Additional kudos will continue to help move this idea forward.
Userlevel 7
While we will still consider creating a toolbar for Opera, we'd also like to make you aware of the often-overlooked ability to install bookmarklets into Opera, which will allow you to use Webroot's password protection features in Opera in a different way. To activate the bookmarklets, sign into your online console at http://my.webrootanywhere.com and go to Passwords. On the right side, in "MyIdentity Actions," click "Install Bookmarklets." If this suits your needs, please let us know. 🙂 Bookmarklets are also available for Safari and Konqueror.

Userlevel 7
Jim, thanks for the hint. Didn't know it. It seems I need to more explore My Webroot portal :D
Userlevel 6
Badge +12
In addition to the helpful hint Jim provided recently, I can say that we are reviewing possible enhancements to our current password management functionality and this would include Opera support. Our 2014 product release would be the target for any such enhancement.
Userlevel 7
That's excellent news WRSupport! Thanks!
Userlevel 7
I finally got the chance to try the bookmarklets in Opera and they don't work at all, at least for me.
Userlevel 7
Full Opera support would be AWESOME!
I am still waiting years later for Opera support. The bookmarklet instructions are old, and do not fit anything I could find in the current Opera version.
Userlevel 7
Am very surprised as to your comment as I am running Opera Opera 33.0 and have both the Password Manager Toolbar & the Web Filtering Extension installed and running in the browser?Baldrick