Complete

Outbound connections fw control in Win 8/ Win 8.1

• 8 October 2013
  • 66 replies

Userlevel 7
  • Community Expert Advisor
  • 1492 replies
Hi,

It'd be great if the outbound connections user controls (allow/block the connection of a process, etc) in firewall and the settings for the firewall in Advanced Settings is brought back in Win 8 and Win 8.1  I think it's very useful feature to users who can control outbound connections.  Just like it's been in previous versions.

66 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +55
If it can be done it would be nice! :)

TH
Userlevel 3
Badge +8
Need to be done i think. This is not nice to have feature.
Yes, is would be really nice to have these back, and also the missing settings: ,,Warn if any process connects to the internet unless explicitly allowed" etc.
Userlevel 7
I have read the reasons why this has not been done, and I agree it is a lot of extra work that may not be really required... but at the same time it would make things SO very much more useful for the users of WSA to have all the security stuff in one place.
Userlevel 7
The problem is that Windows prohibits this level of firewall control in Windows 8. It's not possible to provide functionality that Windows itself does not permit. We should provide messaging to indicate as much though at least.
Userlevel 7
Hi Jim,
Do you have the technical explanation? I'm very interested because I have heard of several regressions in antivirus abilities across products in Windows 8. Webroot isn't the only one with these reductions in functionality. I know there are good reasons for it but I would love to hear about it straight from an antivirus developer! You would be my best friend @ !
Userlevel 7
PrevxHelp( JoeJ, VP of Development ) wrote:

The firewall in Windows 8 is much easier to work with than previous platforms because of the built in OS controls. Every vendor needs to use the same APIs now (the older methods are deprecated), but that's exactly why we aren't doing it currently - no matter what vendor wraps the APIs, it will be exactly the same underlying calls which are built into the OS, and you can use the OS UI to do the same job if you want to customize it.

The reason why we have the functionality on Windows 7 and not Windows 8 is because Microsoft doesn't expose the same normalized interfaces on Windows 7 (or require vendors to use the new APIs).
@
Well looks like I'm your best friend now.:D
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Here's what the settings look like in pre-Win8 versions, for comparison:

Userlevel 7
Unfortunately there are limitations to the OS that do not allow us to do this.
If you have some peculiar program installed that you need to have but want all its internet communication blocked you can do that easily with Windows' built in firewall. On Windows 8 just hit the Windows key to get to the main menu and
- type Firewall.
- Click on Settings on the right pane and
- go to Windows Firewall.
- Click on Advanced settings on the left side of the window.
- On the left pane of the new window, right-click on Outbound Rules and
- select New rule...

So it can indeed be done, in fact I am doing it myself. And the Windows Firewall over rides WSA so it only has to be done once.
Userlevel 7
Badge +55
Can we add the granular control back in even though it uses the same API's of Windows 8, 8.1 and Windows 10 so it looks like the same on Windows 7? So many people are asking/complaining about/for it but don't post on the Community!

Daniel ? ? ? ? ?
Userlevel 7
Completely agree with Daniel on this one...it is causing more negative feeling and trouble than it is worth.Baldrick
Userlevel 7
Badge +55
Yes it is, I get hammered at other security forums and I try to explain but they say hey this AV has it and this other AV has and why isn't Webroot telling there customers that they don't have a full firewall per say as they are looking for the granular control like in the first post of this thread. Even just for the consumers as they don't need it for the enterprise edition or that's up to Webroot.

Daniel  ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?
Userlevel 7
Badge +34
I agree that something needs to be done. Apart from anything else, the documentation regarding the firewall is misleading since it refers to the pre-W8 situation and many users on W8/10 are constantly referring to the community to point out the discrepancy.

TH does his very best but IMO he is fighting a losing battle on the other forum and, to be fair, some of the arguments that are made against the WSA stance seem very fair to me.

Webroot should not put volunteers into such an invidious position. If they are not prepared to make the necessary changes that were requested by the OP two and a half years ago, then they should document that fact, update the User Guide to explain the differences between W7 and earlier where there is some WSA firewall control and W8 and later where there isn't.

Nemo
Userlevel 7
Badge +55
Well I have to agree with you ? and it's hard to watch this go on: in other Forums trying to explain this like Daniel does.:@
Userlevel 7
Badge +55
Thanks ? ? and ? for the support lets hope it's not a big issue to add it back in and lets hope they do one or the other like you said Nemo it's been 2 and a half years....... And I would like to see this reopened.

Daniel 😉
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Let me see what I can find out on this one.
Userlevel 7
Badge +55
Please do your best ? or let me know who I can talk with! Here it starts about the firewall:
http://www.wilderssecurity.com/threads/webroot-secureanywhere-discussion-update-thread.364655/page-87#post-2565026

And here: https://malwaretips.com/threads/webroot-and-a-talkative-virus.56698/

If I could I would add 1000 Kudo's!

Thanks,

Daniel
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
So I talked to some folks here and found out this is something we're actively working on.  No ETA at the moment though, but I'll keep you posted when I hear more.
That is great  news nic.
I think this one thing is really hurting Webroots customer base as they see it in other security  products and Webroot say it is not possible to add it.
Userlevel 7
That is indeed excellent news, Nic...thanks for the update.Regards, Baldrick
Userlevel 7
Way hey!
Userlevel 7
Badge +55
Boondabah!!:D
Userlevel 7
Badge +55
? awesome to hear and thanks to everyone for your support ? ? ? ? ? ? to get this done and hopefully soon.

Cheers,

Daniel

Userlevel 7
Badge +55
Always ? Always! 😉