Under Review

Resizable user interface / search options in lists

Userlevel 5
Badge +24
As I keep on using WSA, more and more programs gets added to the lists, namely Application Protection lists under Identity Protection. This feature often blocks programs like MailBird and Product key activation window of many programs and I have to manually allow these programs to copy text. While this feature makes it more secure and I have no issue manually configuring them, as time goes the list grows and it becomes a painful task to scroll down the tiny window and find the required entry. I am now talking about scrolling down through more than 100 entries. I am sure some many users have way more.

Idea: Make WSA UI window resizable or an option for fullscreen, so that the list expands and it will be easy for us to go though it. Also add a search option to search for the required entry.

19 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +55
I don't think resizing is possible with WSA as that would add much more kb's to the 750kb installer.

Daniel
Userlevel 5
Badge +24
Search function surpasses UI requirement.
Also I dont think responsive UI is not a big issue.
And in these times we can surely afford an installer more than 750kb..
I dont mind a 5 mb installer 🙂
Userlevel 7
I personally would not like to see the installer increase in size by any significant amount, especially for the implied usage here.

For the average user, I do not think the list of programs is nearly that long to be honest.  From your comments, you seem to imply the main reason your list IS so big is due to adding programs in order to copy/paste the key code to activate them, and then I assume setting them to DENY after that.  (I see a number of DENY settings in your graphic above).  Most users simply would not be using the add program feature for that manner.  

I have a total of 7 entries in my list... that is it.

There might be another way to accomplish what you are looking for.  Instead of increasing the UI size, or ability to maximize it, AND instead of the seach button, how about simply a way to REMOVE a program from the list, thus resetting it to the default status of every other program on the computer.  That way you would be able to use it the way you do: add the program so you can paste the key code, but then quickly and easily remove the program from the list again.

While it has admittedly been over a year, the ability to maximize the UI has been brought up before and the idea rejected/closed by Webroot.
Userlevel 5
Badge +24
Where and how can I set programs not to be added to the list automatically and be denied automatically.
For eg mailbird client gets denied after each update.
Userlevel 7
Badge +55
It's part of the Identity Shield there is not much gain to add anymore then Web Facing applications like Web Browsers because all your programs are protected by WSA's Realtime Shield. So I don't know where you are really coming from on this request? Also just use the Add Application Button and add the Program's EXE from Program Files if you want but again it's the Identity Shield only.

Daniel 😉
Userlevel 5
Badge +24
Well for me programs just keeps on adding and getting blocked by default which I dont want to. Mailbird app gets blocked each time I update even if i set it to allow.
It would also be nice if the columns were sortable, so you could order the list alphabetically or show Deny's on top instead of having to wade through the list.
I agree with the idea, while being a good feature, the identity shield can be a pain in the ass sometimes.. adding and denying lot of programs without any prompt and thus disabling it's text pasting copying functions. The one here is a good solution , atleast a search box expecially for power users, unlike others who has countable apps in their systems. 

Or add a prompt pop before denying any apps.
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
No current plans to change the UI in this regard.  If that list is overly long we do recommend contacting support to get applications whitelisted in our database so that you don't have to manage them manually on your end.
Userlevel 5
Badge +24
Well what about adding a prompt before denying an app?
Userlevel 7
OK, Nic...understand what you say about "recommend contacting support to get applications whitelisted in our database"...but that still involves something that is not that slick in the overall scheme of things...so what about an option...say on the right clicki of an entry...to allo wthe details to be automatically uploaded to the Support Team.

Now that would be extremely user friendly and also...slick.
Userlevel 7
Pretty good idea there Baldrick.... I like it
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
I like your idea Baldrick!  Maybe a separate Feature Request for that so it gets attention?
Userlevel 7
Badge +48
Well that makes a lot of sense Baldrick, I like it.
Userlevel 7
Badge +55
Hello Baldrick! I think that it's a great thinking there!:D
Userlevel 5
Badge +24
This means we have to go to the app's installation folder right click, or add apps to the list and then right click and white list the executables. A prompt post installation before black listing sounds more efficient (similar to deny;allow once; and allow always prompt WSA has for PC security).Why not that for identity shield. I come across this issue so often, copying activation keys, copying email from my mail client (mailbird (getmailbird.com) gets denied after each update.  This should be more of a manual subjective choice rather than a whitelist database imho, though this Idea definitely sounds good leading to a good whitelist datsbase.

Atleast my idea lead into a healthy brainstorming session :)

Userlevel 5
Badge +24
I allowed a few apps and removed the entries to lower the number of entries and they get readded and denied again. This is pathetic. Blocks copy/paste functions of my most used legitimate apps. You must seriously consider revambing this.

Also say I have some 40 entries.. I scrolled down to change the attributes of 31st and 32nd apps.. after changing 31st app, the list automatically gets scrolled all the way up.. and i have to scrolled down inside your teeny weeny UI (painful) to reach 32nd again.

And why does it deny world famous not taking application like Evernote, that too after each update????
Userlevel 1
Badge +2
I agree with this idea, too. The UI works, but is limiting and can get frustrating to some. I understand that keeping the installer file size to a minimum is important (for marketing reasons I assume, since it's unbelievably small to cause problems to anyone with its size, even if it's increased) but a friendlier UI is even more important. Let's also remember that resizeable windows is an OS standard, so moving away from such a standard with a more limiting approach can't be good.
Userlevel 5
Badge +24
@ Well said..

Cookie policy

We use cookies to enhance and personalize your experience. If you accept or continue browsing you agree to our cookie policy. Learn more about our cookies.

Accept cookies Cookie settings