New

Stop advertising with false alarms!

Userlevel 3
Badge +3
OMFG! I don't want your password manager!

STOP throwing false alarms at me to advertise it!

17 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

Userlevel 7
Badge +25
Don't forget to vote on your own idea @Madeupname0998.
Userlevel 7
Badge +55
I got the same thing a few hours ago!!!!!!!

Userlevel 3
Badge +3
They pulled this same shit in march. I refuse to be forced sign up to "lastpass" to artificially boost their subscription numbers. An "online password manager" is an oxymoron to start with. I will continue to use the portable product of "my choice".

Userlevel 7
Badge +25
I believe that a password manager should be well vetted before using it and should be continually vetted as time passes. However, I wouldn't throw LastPass out just because it's online. I'm not familiar with how Webroot has integrated itself with LastPass and if anything has been done to compromise it. I'm not saying that it has, only that I don't know. However, if you're interested in a password manager that's been thoroughly vetted, I suggest you lookup Steve Gibson's review on LastPass. He did a very good review of it and other products on the Security Now podcast some time back. If you have a question he'll sometimes answer them via Twitter or use the question on the podcast.

For the record, I also had ads like this too. I just think LastPass should be considered. We all have the products we love, so I understand if it's not for you.

Sincerely,
Userlevel 7
Badge +36
Honestly, the main reason that alert is showing is for anyone that uses Password Manager and has yet to do the migration. Reason being is they are at risk of losing saved passwords, so what you're seeing is just that. Sorry if it's bothering you, I'll pass along the feedback and see if there's a better way to insure folks don't lose passwords when the 25th rolls around.
Userlevel 7
Badge +25
@LLiddell, that's a very good reason to display something like this. Some people have come to rely on password managers as their sole source for keeping their passwords. Should they lose them, you'd have a lot of pissed off customers. Obviously, this is bad for them and Webroot, so I don't blame you for displaying something. However, your suggestion might help make others happy with it needing to be displayed. Might I suggest a clearer message, this way it doesn't sound like an ad.

Currently the message says:
"Saved passwords might not be available after 6.25.19. To ensure their availability, upgrade your password manager now."

Potential new message:
"If you're using our Password Manager, we suggest upgrading your software before 6.25.19. Failure to upgrade your software could result in the loss of saved passwords. Contact https://link to support site if you have questions."

Obviously I just threw this together, but you get the idea. Another idea, and I don't know if you can do this, would be to only show this to users who subscribed to your password manager.

Good Luck!
Userlevel 3
Badge +3
Honestly, the main reason that alert is showing is for anyone that uses Password Manager and has yet to do the migration. Reason being is they are at risk of losing saved passwords, so what you're seeing is just that. Sorry if it's bothering you, I'll pass along the feedback and see if there's a better way to insure folks don't lose passwords when the 25th rolls around.

In the many years I have used Webroot, I have never used the webroot password manager.

Intentionally throwing a false positive for any reason is an unacceptable practice.

Webroot has the ability to put up it's own notifications. I get the "Your personal Security Report is Ready" notifications (that I would also like to get rid of). Use that delivery system that is already in place. Better yet, integrate those notifications into the windows 10 notifications system. Then I can choose whether to allow them or not.

On the positive side, support has taken care of this issue (hopefully permanently) for me.

Userlevel 7
Badge +36
Nic, I like the idea and yeah I'll run it by the team managing the UI there. Ultimately it will be a matter of how quickly they can implement prior to the 25th.

Madeupname, glad to hear support has taken care of you for this situation, and again, sorry that it has been such a disturbance.
Userlevel 7
Badge +25
@LLiddell, I realize the 25th isn't far off, so good luck! However, you might want to present it as a way to display messages in the future. Short, clear, and precise communication is always helpful when you want to get any point across to a customer. Also, giving them the info in a way that doesn't annoy or disrupt them will help get your point noticed more frequently. Did I mention that I work for a communications/marketing company? 😉

From an IT perspective I understand @Madeupname0998's idea of having it appear in the Windows 10 notification system. This is a cool idea. However, I wonder if you can pull it off and support as many versions of Windows as you do. After all, I'm using Windows XP through Windows 10 PCs and Windows Server 2003 through Windows Server 2012 R2.
Userlevel 7
Badge +36
Yeah makes sense, I appreciate the insight!
Userlevel 7
Badge +25
No problem, have a great weekend everyone! 😎
Userlevel 3
Badge +3
And it's back :(

As I said before "Intentionally throwing a false positive for any reason is an unacceptable practice."
Userlevel 3
Badge +3
What part of "WRONG" does this company not understand?
Userlevel 7
Badge +25
@Madeupname0998, I understand your frustration. I'm working with support on a false positive issue right now and have been for months. However, they've been working on it and making progress, so I hope mine is corrected soon. As for your issue, this is why I suggested that they only show the message to users who've subscribed to the Webroot password manager. If you haven't subscribed to it, then you wouldn't get it if they implement this type of solution. I can't say for sure, but considering @LLiddell said the issue being warned about happens tomorrow, this false positive might be gone by the 26th. @LLiddell doesn't control how the devs create the software, but maybe she can impress upon them the ideas we've shared for future messages like this.

@LLiddell, can you verify if this message will go away after the 25th? I realize changing the code is probably too late. However, if we can put @Madeupname0998's mind at ease by letting them know the end is nigh, I'm sure they'd appreciate it. 😋

Thanks,
Userlevel 7
Badge +36
That's correct, this should be back to normal by the end of the week.
Userlevel 7
Badge +25
Thanks for the update @LLiddell!

@Madeupname0998, you should see it go away this week. Hope this helps! I realize you'll still have to deal with it until then, but at least you know the end's in sight. 😀