Complete

Suggestion: Possibility to check if a license code is valid

• 11 March 2013
  • 1 reply

Userlevel 1

I was having a lot of trouble with some license codes.

More or less short story: Bought a sealed Webroot CD box at a third party company and the license code was invalid because the company who originally sold it to the third party company "forgot" to activate it.  I am not going to mention any names because this could happen to any company as far as I understood.

Well the result: I had an invalid license. I paid money for something, I had a sealed box in my hands but no way to use it. The seller was so nice to offer me a replacement code but the same problem again. License code invalid because it probably has been reported as stolen.  Thanks to the very accommodating seller, I got a refund.

But this for sure is not the normal way. Normally the seller is sending one to the manufacturer/developer. And then the developer does not refund if one bought a license through a third party company. 

I know, I could always buy directly at Webroot, but to be honest, I cannot pay $60 for the ISP edition of Webroot (I only need a single user license), when I could get for 1/10th of the price an one user (1 year) license of an AV company who is market leader. A legal code of course. 

Don't get me wrong, I know this might be a little unfair comparison but you know it's a fact that people look at the price. I do. I am willing to pay extra money for service and the Webroom forum is fantastic. But it must be a fair extra money not 10x more.

There are legal ways to get Webroot licenses from third party companies for 1/3 of the original price on the Internet. But as I mentioned before... if one has bad luck, the money is gone because of the missing possibility to check if a keycode is valid or not. 

So, either Webroot must forbid all third party online sales or offer a possibility to check if a keycode has been "reported as stolen" or so. 

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Unauthorized resells are essentially already prohibited by virtue of the keycode not functioning in the product, as you unfortunately experienced. If it looks too good to be true, it probably is. To ensure you're buying legitimate software, buy only from well-known, reputable vendors, and avoid independent online resellers. The other part of the idea is impossible to implement because if the keycode in question had arrived at its intended destination and remained there, it would have ultimately been activated by the reseller authorized to sell it. In which case, it would have functioned perfectly. The keycode not functioning after failing to be activated at the intended point of sale is why it did not work. It's good to hear you obtained a refund, which you were due.