Accepted/In Progress

Threat encyclopedia

• 5 December 2012
  • 17 replies

Userlevel 3
When webroot blocks a threat, it shows the file name it blocked, but how about giving us a whole new area where we can click, and be taken to a short summary about the virus that infected our PC.

I don't know about some people, but I like to learn about the new viruses and a description of them, but I can't find anything about any threats unless i take a trip to the blog.. Like i said, How about a threat encylopedia.

17 replies

Userlevel 7
This is something we are going to do. Other ideas have come up lately that have unfortunately moved work off this project, so this idea will have to go into On Hold status for the moment. Prevx, which Webroot acquired, has a threat encyclopedia, which you can view here. Some improvements need to be made to make those pages or pages like them more properly align with Webroot's Intelligence Network rather than just the Prevx end of it, and they should be made available as links wherever appropriate. In short, this is a great idea, and it will ultimately happen. It would most likely help to get some kudos on this idea to give the idea a bit more priority, so please kudo if you like the idea.
Userlevel 7
Don't think this is an idea/service which should be pushed back in the priorities list too much, as also the Prevx Malware Centre is no longer viewable.
I've also been asking for similar over at Wilders for fair time now. Love to see the 'Threat Center' plan happen, if possible please ;) 
  Wilders Security Forums - View Single Post - WSA suggestions thread
Userlevel 7
Any news on this? Anything on the 'horizon'?

Userlevel 7
Badge +55
Yes I would like to know also I miss that Prevx had readable database on files!

Daniel
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
I checked with dev and they're going to look into this one.  
It would be really great if Webroot had it's own encyclopedia.
Perhaps with some cool big data from the cloud  :)
Userlevel 7
Anything on the horizon yet Skipper?......
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Not that I've heard of, but I'll double-check.
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
I heard from the support escalations team that they have put in a ticket for this one - not sure what the prioritization will be on it, but I'll update when I get more info.
Userlevel 7
Badge +55
It would be nice as Prevx had it, all you had to do is click on the infected file after the scan in the scan window  then it would open the Browser with allot of info like first seen and different files names the Cloud has seen.

50 more Kudos added! LOL

Daniel
Userlevel 7
@  Thank you very much for doing that, and getting that info back :D

I still believe this will happen, but there's probably always so much to do in that busines nowadays, and it's a big project to achieve this in a comprehensive way that best leverages the Webroot Intelligence Network.

Userlevel 7
This has been on Hold for quite a while....  any more recent thoughts on this?  :)
Userlevel 7
I am thinking that the way to implement this would be to have as one option, the ability to click on the threat (in Quarantine) and be linked to an online malware directory which provided a explanation/description of the item detected, etc...so that if you wanted to you could find out without having to Google it as I always end up doing.

Baldrick
My experience;

Webroot found this file as malware:
C:UsersUserAppDataLocalTemp7NV7DAWB.exe.part
I could find no explanation of it so I restored it and looked at properties.
The certificate was by LLC DE PROEKT.
The certificate is issued by COMODO RSA Code Signing CA. The publisher is located in the Ukraine.
It was identified as a PUP.

It would be nice if I didn't have to depend upon Google to learn about threats.

Frank C
Userlevel 6
Badge +24
I like this idea, and would like to see this implemented.  I had one of my ideas archived/closed that would make the MD5 linked over to Virus Total - the data is out there - just needs to be easily accessible.
Userlevel 7
Badge +35
We've taken your feedback into consideration and have worked with our threat team, we hoping to provide in update in the next couple weeks when the new database should be live. Stay tuned for the featured post about this new part of the Community here soon.
Userlevel 7
Badge +55
Awesome to hear! :D

Thanks,

Daniel

Cookie policy

We use cookies to enhance and personalize your experience. If you accept or continue browsing you agree to our cookie policy. Learn more about our cookies.

Accept cookies Cookie settings