Complete

Unsecured Network Protection

• 26 January 2013
  • 11 replies

Userlevel 7
Would it be possible for Webroot to add soem sort of data encryption program/browser for cases when an unsecured network is used?

For example: I have to travel a decent amount, and sometimes I have no choice but to use an unsecured wireless network. I would feel much better if I knew that my data was excrypted. 

11 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +55
The best thing is to get a VPN service as I do when travailing.

TH
Userlevel 7
Thanks for the info, TH.

It seems to me that it would be nice and convienient to have an encryption service built in to Webroot Complete, or even an add-on service, to activate when an unsecured network is detected.

It would also make for a great sales point for Webroot.
Userlevel 7
While I was out of town on a business trip, having a quick and easy Webroot VPN or encryption service would have been great. I tried a free trial of a VPN program, and while it seemed to work just fine, it slowed my notbook down a lot and I did not care for the cartoonish GUI.
Userlevel 7
I think that this would be something the average consumer would not use, so I would not think that it would be a good addition to WSA Complete.

That said, I think that having it availble as an add-on module would be wonderful!

Userlevel 7
Are you saying that I am above-average? ;)
Userlevel 7
I think your situation and use is above the average compared to the average user :D

Userlevel 7
Badge +55
@ cohbraz

"Thanks for the info, TH.

It seems to me that it would be nice and convienient to have an encryption service built in to Webroot Complete, or even an add-on service, to activate when an unsecured network is detected.

It would also make for a great sales point for Webroot."

I personally can't see it happening because a VPN is encrypted at both ends. This is the service I use and it's fast http://www.hidemyass.com/vpn/ but I would like to hear from Webroot.

Userlevel 7
While this idea could certainly add value or even potentially end up as a separate stand-alone product, it's not currently within the scope of any of our products and isn't likely to appear on our product roadmap. That said, there was a time when Best Buy chose to bundle us with Hotspot Shield, and that promotion was very effective, which leads some credence to the idea that developing such technology could be valuable. While there are no plans to do something like this currently, we could consider revisiting this idea in the future.
Userlevel 7
Webroot already has the infrastructure in place thanks to their business-only Webroot Web Security Service product. But it would take some bending to slim the configuration down and provision consumer accounts.

Interesting idea.
Userlevel 7
I appreciate the consideration for this feature. Please let me know if anything changes as far as adding a stand-alone option for it.
Userlevel 6
Badge +12
This idea falls outside the core competencies we are focused on right now and would require the implementation of new infrastructure that does not currently exist. While a Webroot provided data encryption service would augment the other security we provide, we have no plans to implement that. Other firms already provide this VPN type of service.