Under Review

User-based rules added to the firewall

Userlevel 2
I think that it would be a good thing to include the option to add user-based rules to the firewall. It's like this:

At the moment, if we want to block an application from being executed, we can manually add it using the following steps: PC Security -> Quarantine -> (Detection Configuration) Configure.

However, we cannot (at the moment) do the same thing if we want to block an application's access to the Internet. We just can't manually block it from using the Internet BEFORE it is executed. In order to block an application, we would have to go the PC Security -> Firewall -> (Select) Warn if any process connects to the Internet unless explicitly allowed -> [Access the application] -> See it in the Firewall table (accessed from PC Security -> Firewall -> View Network Applications) -> Block that application -> Then revert the Firewall heuristics to their previous settings.

As you can see, the process is more complicated than it should be. I think that an "Add/Remove Rule" button should be added to the Firewall table (accessed from PC Security -> Firewall -> View Network Applications), so we could make a choice about a certain application before it is executed. Thus, there would be no need to fiddle with the Firewall heuristics every single time you want to block a certain something.

I also think it is worth mentioning that other vendors (that I shall not name) who offer similar overall protection solutions already have this feature included in their products.

In my opinion, this shouldn't be a complicated thing to do, because the code from the Detection Configuration table [PC Security -> Quarantine -> (Detection Configuration) Configure] could be reused to accomplish this.

Thank you for your time and please tell me your opinion about this.
Ovidiu

11 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +55
I agree to have some Granular control in the Firewall but every running process is already being monitored and you can Allow or Block them already and most processes are checked with Webroot's Cloud Database! http://www.webrootanywhere.com/sah_Firewall.asp?n=Managing_network_applications

TH
Userlevel 7
I cast my vote for the user-based rules as well. I would like to have more control over the outbound processes. An option to add my own process/application to block is indeed missing.
Userlevel 7
Badge +55
At looking at this closer I would like to see the count down removed because I don't believe in auto allow it should wait till user interaction!

TH
Userlevel 7
I second TripleHelix idea about removing of the countdown. It doesn't give a sense there.
Userlevel 7
The "removal of countdown" sounds like a good idea, I'll vote for that. Thanks TH :D
Userlevel 7
Or have an "Option" to disable the Countdown and wait for user interaction.
Userlevel 7
Badge +55
I would like to retract my request to remove auto allow please see Here and Here

Thanks,

TH 😉
Userlevel 5
The countdown should be extended if it is to remain, at least.
Userlevel 7
This idea has prompted some interesting discussions. We're going to flesh out the idea a bit more with our development and product management teams and give the idea some well-deserved consideration. Thanks for the idea!
We are keeping this open and under consideration because it is clearly a useful feature however due to resource contraints it is currently a low priority to be developed.
At present setting the firewall to 'Warn if any process connects to the internet unless explicitly allowed' will prevent anything connecting until the user has made a decision or the countdown has finished. Granted this is at execution time of the application. I will talk with the dev team and see if this can be improved.
Userlevel 7
@ J4CK Thanks for your comment. I understood why this idea is of low priority. However implementing an option to add own process/application to block shouldn't be so heavy on resources. So please consider at least this feature.

Cookie policy

We use cookies to enhance and personalize your experience. If you accept or continue browsing you agree to our cookie policy. Learn more about our cookies.

Accept cookies Cookie settings