Complete

Version for IT Pros/Power Users

• 25 June 2017
  • 4 replies

Badge +3
There seems to be a current trend where software developers are creating software versions optimized for advanced admin tasks, including friend/family computing devices.

One useful feature for example would be a way to backup device drivers, along with previous versions, SSL verification info, and perhaps some crowdsourced data on which drivers seem to work best on which devices. For those of us with a home media server, it would be great to have an app that can be installed on the router (ex. synology) and perhaps a compation app for the media server that could either supplement or replace some of the functions typically handled by a home router.

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Apologies ag0346

Whilst I can understand where you are coming from I believe that WRSA should concentrate on the core mission, which is AM protection rather than adding peripheral fucntionality in, i.e., to some, bloatware, as seems to be the marketing inspired trend with suites these days.

We already have some functionality included in WRSA which, I suspect many will agree, is a 'waste of space'. The Webroot design philosophy, at least as I have understood over many years is, small, simple but most of allthe most effective...which I believe it achieves today.

So, am afraid I cannot support...andf would urge others not to either.

Regards, Baldrick
Badge +3
This is perhaps the most polite disagreement that I have been given in a forum, and for that I thank you.

I will rephrase some of what I said in the context of anti-malware protection, which I assume is more of the type of feedback that applies here:

A product, such as webroot security, is primarily a solution to a problem. When consumers shop for other goods/services, they are more concerned with its ability to solve a problem completely or at least be part of a toolset that forms a robust plug and play configuration. 
"Malware is software designed to infiltrate or damage a computer system without the owner's informed consent."

Imagine a completely hypothetical situation where you bring your car to the mechanic because it has very flimsy locks and you are very concerned about people breaking into it and leaving all the doors wide open. Your mechanic then seals two doors shut with a bit of re-inforcement because you don't need them all the time and although you're not a mechanic yourself, you really should learn more about motor vehicles. This leads us over to the ignition which has been altered with an elaborate process that involves two OEM car keys with special rechargable batteries that must be fully charged first. The startup process checks the security sensors, which  must be fully functional or the whole car shuts off shortly after making an automated call to the larceny unit at the local police station. The good news is that you stand a decent chance of hearing a barking dog to complement the car's alarm that you can't shut off because your mobile phone is off and you didn't reset your password before the automatic account disabling kicked in. As if that wasnt fun enough, now you get to wait on the phone to explain everything to an overworked IT staff that's been hearing about these crazy issues for far too long.

To make matters worse, this is only a small, though very important, part of the overall daily/weekly/monthly/yearly maintenance that this very special car requires. Oh, and everyone at home has a set of devices. The sheer amount of time that this whole thing takes almost guarantees that a home user, their tech-savvy friend will overlook, and even IT Professionals will overlook thousands of problematic settings, insecure privacy changes made by legitimate software updates, log system alerts, etc.

I think that it's only fair that if a given software developer does not intend to venture too far from their core product, that their product should integrate exceptionally well with those products that become part of the solution. I'll lump together a few home computer/network security issues that seem to go largely ignored: DNS, local windows certificate stores, driver catalog, maintaining file metadata in a separate searchable catalog so that important files are even harder to find, and content filter to cut down on wasted bandwidth.
Userlevel 7
Hi ag0346

We do try to be civil and respectful here in the Community, to whatever is proposed, especially when it is proposed eloquently.

Whilst you make a good case for what you are proposing I still believe that the Webroot philosophy is not one of throwing everything in that is related to the core mission, however meritorious the inclusion may be. It is about design philosophy and what is viewed as best for the customer and, no doubt, what is likely to sell more software.

Personally, and I can only restate that it is my view and not that of fellow members or Webroot, if I am looking for some of those additional items you mention then there are many excellent apps out there, some freeware, that do the job specifically.

But then again this is a forum and if the Development Team believe that you suggestion has merit they will no doubt indicate this with a change to the appropriate status.

I wish you luck with that much as I hope that it never happens for the aforementioned reasons.

Regards, Baldrick

Userlevel 7
Badge +36
Thank you for the recommendation, however we are not looking to implement this, at this time.