Under Review

Web Threat Shield User Interface

Userlevel 7
I know that the new Web Threat Shield is under a slow rollout, and that not everything is 'set in stone' so to speak.  One thing that has been noticed by several users is a lack of usable User Interface with the new 2014 versions.  I am only human, so I make mistakes, we all do.  In the situation that a user clicks to Allow (WhiteList) a URL, and then realizes that was not the right decision, there is currently no way other than uninstalling/re-installing WSA to correct that.

Would it be possible to provide us with an interface on which locally WhiteListed URL's are shown and allow us to edit/remove listings in the event a wrong button is pushed?

11 replies

Userlevel 7
David, if it happens, you can go to WRdata folder -> wrUrl and find file WhiteList.txt. Move this file from this folder to other place in your HD, open it and delete web addresses you want, save this file and copy it back to the original destination.

However this procedure is not so handy and smart as WSA is and I agree it needs to be done within GUI.
Userlevel 4
Hi Pegas, nice work around!
Userlevel 7
Pegas, 

Great workaround!  I had done about everything  BUT that!  Thanks :)
Userlevel 7
You're welcome folks :D 

Just to clarify ... the file needs to be temporarily relocated out of wrUrl folder to make changes in it because in this folder the file is locked by WSA.
Userlevel 7
Badge +55
What I do is shut down WSA then remove what you want from the WhiteList.txt and then start up WSA again very simple!

HTH,

Daniel
Userlevel 7
Daniel, you're right but I like a workaround that doesn't require WSA shut down because I use WSA alone so if I shut it down my PC gets vulnerable what I obviously don't want. Yeah, I am a little bit paranoid :$
Userlevel 7
Badge +55
But I do agree it needs to be changed as we all know most users should not be in the WRData Folder in the first place unless you know what you are doing like us Petr, David & Jack. I kudoed the Idea! And sorry Petr I'm not paranoid at all myself. ;)

Daniel
Userlevel 7
I'm checking with our Product managers to see if that's the best workaround. Stay tuned!
Userlevel 7
It looks like there will be usability enhancements to the web filtering capabilities added and a UI for managing white lists is one of the enhancements we will be making, but there's not a timeframe for rolling it out yet. In the meantime, a manual editing of the whitelist.txt is the best workaround.
Userlevel 7
Thanks for the quick update Cat!  
Userlevel 7
Badge +55
Great Thank you Cat!

Cookie policy

We use cookies to enhance and personalize your experience. If you accept or continue browsing you agree to our cookie policy. Learn more about our cookies.

Accept cookies Cookie settings