New

Webroot Notifying End User of PC Being Infected

Userlevel 7
Badge +25
On May 9, 2016 my laptop was infected with W32.Rogue.Gen  I only found this through another program that I used.  I was never notified by Webroot that I had a Trojan infection.  I went over and signed into the console and it was there (under Pc and Security) that I found that my laptop was infected.   Had I not signed into the console or used another program to identify the Trojan, I would not know that my laptop was infected.  The Trojan is non-existing now.

Here;s my idea:  When your PC gets infected and in using the existing Webroot icon on the task bar that upon infection, the icon turns red and blinks (like a red traffic light) alerting the end user that there's an infection and then from the red blinking webroot icon that there's a link that brings you to the area (console) to view the type of infection and what was the resolution of the infection.  You could also include the notification when you right click on the webroot icon and go from there.  

Thanks for reading and I encourage your comments.

23 replies

Userlevel 7
That is roughly speaking what already happens as far a I know and most likely WSA did advise of the potential infection and the fact that  WSA had dealt with it, but you mos likely missed it. And then folllowingnthe next scheduled scan the task bar icon reset to green as the potential infection had been dealt with by WSA and your system was clean.

If one needs details on the type of infrction then one can consult the Threat Log (available in the Report section of the WSA client).

As a result in my humble opinion I see no reason as to why the way that WSA works needs to change.
Userlevel 7
Badge +25
Hi ? - While the Trojan was in the background doing it's thing, nothing on the taskbar changed colors (Webroot Icon) or alerted me that I was "infected". I did notice a couple days ago that when I was in yahoo mail I started to type and the two letters were reversing hmmmm and the other thing I tried to open one yahoo mail which opened quickly and then close quickly.  

Like I said, I was poking around and signed into the WSA console and notice under PC & Security that it was bright red over the PC pic of my PC and said Infected.  There was no explanation what my PC was infected with and no indication that it was taking care of.  Also to note the WSA icon on taskbar had the Identity Shield on.  My system was not clean, as you apparently missed it in my original post.  I used another program to find the virus (Trojan) and take it out.  At that time my system was clean.  So therefore,

I stick with my original idea:  WSA icon on toolbar to turn bright red and blink and notify end user with a link or make the selection of notification when you right click on WSA taskbar icon to go to the area of resolution. Let's see what the rest of the crew thinks.   I rest my case.  ;)

Userlevel 7
I very strongly doubt that there was a Trojan "in background doing it's thing" (especially as something as generic as W32.Rogue.Gen) as that is completely contrary to what WSA does...it focuses on stamping on malware the moment it activates, and dealing with it without generating any excitement...most users just want WSA to deal with the issue, prevtn the malware from taking root and doing its nefarious worst...and that is all.

I suspect that despite what you say that your system was clean and that WSA had dealt with the attempt to infect your system...I have never heard of WSA detecting an infection (which you say the console highlighted) and just doing that, i.e., taking no action either to prevent the infection or, if it was unable to deal with the malware automatically to not advise the user quite clearly that they need to contact the Suport team as a matter of urgency.

So I stick with my original response...in MY humble opinion...no need to change the way WSA operates...and I too rest my case. As you said...let's see what the other Community member think. 
Userlevel 7
Badge +55
Webroot does take care of the viruses when scanning and I've always known Webroot to warn me of a virus. But there are times I've noticed in the Online Account Console I have seen a threat listed that I wasn't aware of. I have 5 computers to keep track of so its easily missed for me. Maybe there might be remnants left behind where Support has to be notified to remedy this? Could it be ? that you had a PUA in yahoo that was causing your issues? 

I didnt realize my Mac had a threat until looking on the Console. But it may be that I just didn't notice it at the time of occurrence. I was just happy Webroot took care of it. As I don't remember that far back whether I was warned or not.

I have had very few viruses and the ones I have had have notified me of such. Webroot does change colors when there is an issue right? But maybe for those newbies who don't realize this then maybe a blinking icon would grab ones attention? 

Just my 2 cents.... ;)

Userlevel 7
Badge +25
Hi ? when you say webroot changing colors, your talking about the console itself right or the webroot icon on the taskbar?   My console was there in the background since I was dealing with multiple windows which hid the console.  I didn't see any colors changing.  I haven't been in yahoo mail in days so I don't think any PUA's were evident.  

Before I noticed that the PC & Security section (under the console), I was watching you tube videos perhaps the virus was picked up there.  Like I said previously, webroot taskbar icon had a lock on it meaning the foreground window is protected by Identity Shield.

I still think the blinking red webroot icon on the taskbar would be ideal, more visible.  ;)
Userlevel 7
Badge +55
Yes ..

To show your computer's overall protection status, the system tray icon and the main interface change colors, as follows:
  • Green. Your computer is secure.
  • Brown. An important function has been disabled.
  • Red. One or more critical items require your intervention.

Userlevel 7
Badge +25
Hi Sherry - I was looking at the system tray icon,  nothing changed colors?
Userlevel 7
Badge +55
Hi Julie,

Well that's odd. Maybe you could contact support about that? 😠
Userlevel 7
Badge +25
I will Sherry thanks for your input!
Userlevel 7
Badge +55
You are welcome Julie! Anytrime!;)
Userlevel 7
Badge +55
? uncheck these 3 boxes so you will see all alerts from WSA, by default WSA is silent most times in the background! So IMO this Idea is not necessary as you can set it up as you like.

Also see what it says in the 4th line!

Block threats automatically if no user is logged in
Stops threats from executing even when you are logged off. Threats are sent to quarantine without notification.

http://www.webroot.com/En_US/SecureAnywhere/PC/WSA_PC_Help.htm#C3_Shielding/CH3b_Changing_Shield_Settings.htm

Daniel ;)

Userlevel 7
Badge +55
Aww Thank you Daniel!:D
Userlevel 7
Badge +55
? no sense beating a dead horse. LOL 😃
Userlevel 7
Badge +55
No I am sorry but after all this time I didn't really know or understand these settings?:(Now I know!
Userlevel 7
Badge +55
Always learning my young Padawan! But the Force is strong in you!

http://www.smiley-lol.com/smiley/sf/jedisabre.gif
Userlevel 7
Badge +55
Userlevel 7
Badge +55
Nice one Daniel!

Userlevel 7
Badge +25
? I unchecked those boxes you pointed out.  Does that mean the next time I will see the alert? (not wishing for an alert).  Thank you Triple Helix I wasn't aware of that setting.  

Que la force soit avec vous

Julie   ;)
Userlevel 7
Badge +55
Hi Julie,

Yes you should see most of the alerts now and that's why I posted the info for you to know and any others that might have the same question in mind! Here is the Online user guide for WSA it's a good read and you will learn allot! http://www.webroot.com/En_US/SecureAnywhere/PC/WSA_PC_Help.htm#OpeningPage.htm

Thanks,

Daniel ;)

Also if you want WSA to Scan at the same time every day and see the scanning window see how I have mine setup here.

Que la force soit avec nous tous et nous allons gagner la bataille!
Userlevel 7
Badge +25
?   Merci Daniel très apprécié
Userlevel 7
Badge +55
Vous êtes très bien accueillis comme toujours! 😃
Userlevel 7
Badge +55
You should see alerts like this at the bottom right corner by the clock! And the Webroot Tray Icon will turn Gray with a Red exclamation mark!

Userlevel 7
Badge +25
 ok thank you daniel.