Complete

WSA won't uninstall under user->admin elevation

• 8 April 2014
  • 9 replies

Userlevel 7
In Windows 8.1.1 and logged in as a standard user I went to uninstall WSA. Windows asked me to elevate the uninstaller to the administrator account so I put in the password and hit enter. However, WSA then prompts me with this:

---------------------------
Webroot SecureAnywhere
It is necessary to log in as an administrator to access this feature.
OK

It is evidently not doing correct detection of what context it's running under, which concerns me.

9 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +55
Is this Win 8.1 Update 1? It's not even out to the public via Windows Update I'm sure Webroot will look at it after it's been released.

Daniel
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Let me check on that and see what's going on.
Badge
I appear to still be having this issue. I ran the uninstall argument in command prompt using elevated privileges, and it still gave me this pop-up box. I believe this is the issue that we are having when trying to uninstall and reinstall with a script. Definitely need this issue resolved.
I remember reading recently somewhere on this Forum (in an older post by someone from Admin if I remember) that you should only use the command prompt uninstall argument:
"C:\Program Files\Webroot\WRSA.exe" –uninstall
in Safe Mode.

If you haven't already, try this and see if it works. And let us know!
Badge
Thanks for the reply. We are needing to uninstall and reinstall remotely, without interrupting the user. On these machines that have difficulty receiving a change keycode command, a reinstall is our best option, except for these machines where it refuses to uninstall by any method. Best solution I've found for changing the keycode (although still interrupts the user) is to set the policy to unmanaged in the web console, and rekey it manually in the UI. This is for mainly windows 10 for us by the way.
I'm afraid that, as erudite as my advice may (or may not 😆) sound, that is about the limit of help I with my humble Webroot knowledge am able to offer. Maybe someone else more knowledgeable than I might want to chip in or maybe, even better, you might wish to contact Support?
Badge
I totally appreciate the comment. I'm glad to know that it was intended for use in safe mode! I wish this issue was not present though. I would have thought it wouldn't have existed still after 4 years since this post, but that does not seem to be the case. We'll just continue doing it the way we have been. We're almost done migrating all of these clients anyway haha.
It was just one post which surprised me because it seemed to go against the others that suggest you first try this command line in Normal Mode before doing so in Safe Mode. I thought it was worth mentioning. Unfortunately I did not save it to bookmarks so I can't give you the link.

Anyway hoping that everything goes smoothly for you.
Userlevel 7
Badge +36
@edward.cossett if you are still seeing this issue, please contact our support team at 1-866-612-4227 so we can investigate further. As this is not a feature request, I will be closing it, and any further questions can be asked in the Product Help section.