2022 BrightCloud® Threat Report: The year of innovation for cybercrime

2022 BrightCloud® Threat Report: The year of innovation for cybercrime

Show first post

114 replies

Userlevel 3

The Middle East, Asia, and Africa were the regions with the highest percentage of infections. We should look into decrease percentage of infections 

Userlevel 5
Badge +3

Many small businesses tend to make “easy” targets through a perfect storm of denial that they are likely targets, psuedo-MSP’s who don’t provide truly comprehensive security, training issues, and a butt-load of cash.  With older “family” staff that is ripe for phishing makes it difficult to protect some of these clients.

Userlevel 4

It’s good to see that the overall infection rates are on the decline. But its still surprising to see how much Windows 7 and related exposure is still out there. Having the numbers to see the rising cost of ransomware and the effectiveness of phishing shows that we have a long way to go. Thanks for providing the stats with this comprehensive report and explaining things in the webinar too! 

Userlevel 3
  • During 2021, 82% of ransomware attacks targeted organizations with less than 1,000 employees. The smallest organizations, with 100 employees or less, comprised 44% of ransomware victims.

WOW!

82%!!! Huge number!

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

That webinar yesterday was really good! Thank you for doing that.

Alarmed to see how many Windows 7 computers are still out there and also how high the percentage of infections for small businesses is.

Userlevel 3

with this i think we can see where awareness and training are taken (a little more) seriously

Userlevel 3

With Digital currency threats are almost certain when using currency

82% for small businesses with less than 1000 employee’s is very high but it makes sense when it comes to a small number of users

Userlevel 2

Interesting take concerning the Apple impersonations. Is an impersonation of Apple easier then Android, because Apple is more desirable? Or because Apple is more identifiable vs the multiple companies that utilise Android across flagship phones?

Strange trying to put myself in that though process!

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

It was Interesting to read that the smaller companies are starting to be hit more.

The bigger ones have gotten wise to a lot of it and invested in their security / training. A lot of smaller companies (in my experience at least) seem to prefer to bury their heads in the sand and think it will never happen to them

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Congratulations to @Heltus 

it’s very tedious to add you all to these wheels :)

You win the Lego X-Wing!

Great answer kid, that was one in a million

Look out for a DM and hopefully you have a shipping address in US, UK, CA (and you don’t mind a couple more goodies)

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
  • The Middle East, Asia, and Africa were the regions with the highest percentage of infections.

not too surprised by this statement

Nor me!

Userlevel 1

Always a good read,.“The Middle East, Asia, and Africa were the regions with the highest percentage of infections.” make perfectly sense.

Userlevel 1

Apple being the larger ones spoofed makes sense considering how they lead the sway of smart phones and tablets for a while.

Congratulations to all the winners

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

I feel kind of glad that Apple is the most impersonated, it might help some of the blind faith people seem to have in Apple always being perfect, but it’s a shame people have to be fleeced first before they’ll learn.

Apple bring impersonated is not where that blind faith lies with Apple users. It’s their belief that Apple products are not susceptible to attack. These are two very different things. 

But I’m rather disappointed at the number of responses here that are seemingly  taking joy in what they mistakenly perceive as attacks on Apple products.  Seriously, is your anti-Apple sentiment so strong that you find joy in people being deceived or attacked?  I find that more sad than the attack itself. I thought we were supposed to be professional people here. This is very disappointing and makes me wonder if you are truly protecting your Apple customers. 

“During 2021, 82% of ransomware attacks targeted organizations with less than 1,000 employees. The smallest organizations, with 100 employees or less, comprised 44% of ransomware victims.”

I would say that 44% for smaller business may be on the low side.  I see these attempts almost daily.

Interesting read!

Userlevel 2

I'm really amazed by the increase in Apple phishing attack. When I work with Mac users, their goto reaction is Macs are built safe so I don't have to worry about viruses,  hacking, etc. But they are still vulnerable,  so it's very important for all users to be cautious. 

Userlevel 1

I was interested to learn that, “The smallest organizations, with 100 employees or less, comprised 44% of ransomware victims”. This wasn’t necessarily surprising given that smaller companies have less resources in terms of support from IT experts, but having information like this is valuable for our clients. As an MSP this is relevant to a good proportion of our clients, and ransomware poses a massive threat to companies that prize system uptime over most other things.

Userlevel 1

The high infection rates amongst personal devices is not suprising, but seeing the numbers is useful. Worth addressing within any company that uses a BYOD policy and the need for those devices to be used as securely as any business device.

Userlevel 4

“With the introduction of Windows 11, bad actors won’t think twice about engaging in new and dangerous exploits that leverage new features not previously available.”

Just when you thought it was safe to release a new OS.  I'm personally not planning on migrating to it anytime soon, as well as our clients.  

Userlevel 3

“This year, 86.3% of malware was unique to one PC”

I couldn’t believe this, this is shocking, the world needs to realize and protect its self.

Userlevel 1

Great rreport. Eye opener. Have passed along to our Account managers

Userlevel 3

Great to see the ANZ region see a drop of 51% in infection rates between 2020 and 2021!

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Interesting take concerning the Apple impersonations. Is an impersonation of Apple easier then Android, because Apple is more desirable? Or because Apple is more identifiable vs the multiple companies that utilise Android across flagship phones?

Strange trying to put myself in that though process!

I believe Apple ranks very high (depending on what survey you look at) on the list of bets known company names. Also, Apple products are desirable by lots of people and expensive, so I’m sure thinking you won an iPhone or iPad is a thrill and pulls people in.