2022 BrightCloud® Threat Report: The year of innovation for cybercrime

2022 BrightCloud® Threat Report: The year of innovation for cybercrime

Show first post

114 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

“53% of consumer PCs were infected more than once, and 19% infected more than 5 times”

For this reason expecially during the last year we are receiving from companies to organise cyber security courses

Userlevel 1
  • The Middle East, Asia, and Africa were the regions with the highest percentage of infections.
  • 53% of consumer PCs were infected more than once, and 19% infected more than 5 times.
  • Apple was most often impersonated company in phishing attacks.
  • Of all the places where malware could hide on business PCs, it uses %temp% more than half the time.

These statistics are extremely interesting to me. It’s important to report this kind of information to our customers so ensure that they’re aware how easy it is to get infected. I bet most of the users don’t even realise they have infections. I will bring up the issue with the %temp% folder because most of our customers don’t realise it exists! 

Userlevel 3

Very interesting! thanks for info!

Userlevel 6
Badge +5

Great info, thanks for all you guys do. 

Userlevel 7

Congratulations to all the winners!

• The Middle East, Asia, and Africa were the regions with the highest percentage of infections.

not too surprised by this statement

Userlevel 5
Badge +5

Congratulations.

Userlevel 7
Badge +62

Educating people more. Let others know about Webroot/Bright Cloud and Security Awareness. 

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

Protect your BYOD PCs - they expose your corporate network too!

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Why would people allow their machines to be infected with malware more then once? Some even 5 times (19%)? Unbelievable. They never learn…..

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

You’re right there @MajorHavoc 

For me it was that the education/training of users is a constant requirement for any business wishing to limit these types of attacks.

I strongly agree with this part. With a layered approach and proper user training, it is possible to drastically reduce the chance of attacks being successful.

Small organization are the primary targets,  and this is a rilevant data that has to be deeply considered. 

Userlevel 2

It appears that Malware infection is being dropped as an attack vector in favour of the Ransomware - obviously a more lucrative return on their efforts.

Where malware is being deployed, the ZeroDay Heuristic scanners are required to identify these increasingly unique apps.

Userlevel 2

Security awareness, learning is a must! Educate the user and you can reduce a lot of risks  

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

how antivirus on  phone  zte max 10

Hey @gregkrause have you seen this post?

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Well done all!

It all boils down to 2 things for me, vigilance and training. People are the weak link in any attack and they will always be. 

This has shown to be true in every attack we have witnessed.

“53% of consumer PCs were infected more than once, and 19% infected more than 5 times”

Some people never learn...

Userlevel 6
Badge +4

No Surprise at all to see Africa there. 

Userlevel 1

It should come as no suprise that ransomware attacks companies with under 1000 employees, they are more vunerable because they may not have the necessary security in place.

In my experience the sell of security to small companies is a lot harder than large and the education is also less.

Very interesting

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

Here is an interesting thought regarding windows 7 and windows 10.

“Windows 7 PCs experienced 0.06
infections per PC, and Windows 10 PCs
averaged only 0.03 infections per PC”

|Is it the fact that the windows 7 users are looking for “apps” to make their pc faster which get flagged as they are nomally classed as malware? Are non-computer savy users (who havn’t changed their OS in 10 years) and  also have old unupported apps as well with their own vulnerabilities.

In 27 years of IT support business I have not seen the massive “O/S unsupported" spike in infections predicted each time.  However last year I did get a decent answer from a security professional.  He said its the browsers on the old systems.  This makes sense and tied with the DIY nature of a Windows 7 user, thats going to be very dangerous.

BTW:  the most important part of a layered defence is making the main user profile a non-admin.  Cuts out lots of stupid moves from the users and even some convincer remote access frauds, as the users can’t install the remote software they are being told to install.

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Why would people allow their machines to be infected with malware more then once? Some even 5 times (19%)? Unbelievable. They never learn…..

I’m not sure “allowed” is the right word here. Remember we have a more unique view of these issues. To some users, this is all black magic and have no cause and effect understanding of the issues. It’s our jobs to help educate people so they can learn to help prevent these infections.