2022 BrightCloud® Threat Report: The year of innovation for cybercrime

2022 BrightCloud® Threat Report: The year of innovation for cybercrime

Show first post

114 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge

“Apple was most often impersonated company in phishing attacks.”

I’m honestly not surprised there, the amount of phishing emails I get from ‘Apple’ never ceases to amaze me :D

Userlevel 2

“By combining layers, like inspecting all incoming emails for malware, keeping PCs fully patched, using antivirus software and endpoint protection tools on all PCs and educating users on how to avoid phishing attacks and other forms of social engineering, you can make it less likely that attacks will succeed.”

I strongly agree with this part. With a layered approach and proper user training, it is possible to drastically reduce the chance of attacks being successful.

Userlevel 7
Badge +54

1 paragraph stands out to me as regards Ransomware

“As a result, many organizations are shifting from relying on cyber insurance policies to increasing the strength of their layered defenses in order to be more resilient against ransomware attacks.”

A layered defence has been for years been thought to be the best approach and yet it appears that some industries have been slow to toughen their systems up despite the warnings over the years about the threats.

Userlevel 3

Interesting stat:

The smallest organizations, with 100 employees or less, comprised 44% of ransomware victims.

Userlevel 4

I liked the final statement - “Adopting cyber resilience allows you to prepare and recover from attacks. Through a defense in depth approach, you can act more quickly to thwart malicious threats from spreading, minimize the likelihood of a major data breach and restore your operations. Only through cyber resilience can we truly make progress in our fight against cybercrime.”

Userlevel 7
Badge +63

Always on top of it and will be watching 

Brightcloud 2022 Threat Report Webinar!

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

In a bad way good to see that Apple get some attention from the bad people. It is gaining marketshare.

Explain what you mean please. From what I read, Apple was basically a target of impersonation, and a ransomware target. I did not read that Apple machines were being targeted. Did I miss something?  Thanks.

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Come tell us your favorite takeaway from this report and be entered in a raffle to win this prize Lego X-Wing at the end of the month! See all details in this community contest post

I recognize that prize. Hopefully it will go to someone who really wants to win it. 🙂 Thanks for running contests again. It was a lot of fun last time! 

“This year, 86.3% of malware was unique to one PC.”  I am not sure I understood this statement. What exactly does this mean? That just one person had all the malware on their single machine? Seems like that is not really a problem, so obviously I do not understand the meaning of this line. 

53% of consumer PCs were infected more than once...”  This fact really bothered me. It seems once infected, one would take some steps to prevent it from happening again. That seems to not be the case. How can we better educate people? 

Educate your users. Not to be overlooked!

Userlevel 4

“53% of consumer PCs were infected more than once, and 19% infected more than 5 times”

More. Than. 5. Times.  This just blows my mind.  Some people just never learn.

I have to agree with this one, that is crazy. I’m surprised and also not at all...​​​​

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

“53% of consumer PCs were infected more than once, and 19% infected more than 5 times”

More. Than. 5. Times.  This just blows my mind.  Some people just never learn.

Userlevel 3

In a bad way good to see that Apple get some attention from the bad people. It is gaining marketshare.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Surprised to hear that The Middle East, Asia, and Africa were the regions with the highest infections. Would have thought Europe!

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Come tell us your favorite takeaway from this report and be entered in a raffle to win this prize Lego X-Wing at the end of the month! See all details in this community contest post