Carbonite to Acquire Webroot

Show first post
This topic has been closed for comments

108 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +22
I just can hope the staff at WS will not suffer from the change
Userlevel 7

It was likely picked up by the spam filter since you have several links to external organizations. We're still training the spam settings, so I apologize if you see a post disappear, and please let me know if you do so I can fix it.Well, this new forum software sucks! That is all I will say. I still do not get notifications of comments.

e.g. I got a notification of this post earlier, today, by Dan @TripleHelix - https://community.webroot.com/wsa-for-home-beta-73/firefox-just-updated-to-65-0-1-and-the-web-filter-is-nowhere-to-be-seen-337316 , but none about subsequent posted comments.
@Tarnak it appears the new community only sends one notification when a new comment has been added to a thread since you last visited the page. Visiting the page only registers if you're logged into the community. For example, I received an email that you posted the comment I'm quoting, which you posted 12 hours ago. Since your post, there have been 11 additional posts that I never received notifications about. This approach is a common forum UI method that helps keep users mailboxes from overflowing. I would have had 12 notifications for this one thread when I came into work and checked my email this morning. By using this method, I can get the one notification that takes me to the next new post I haven't read and read all the comments from then on.

Forums that use this UI method usually have a way to see all threads that your subscribed to that have new comments you haven't read. I see how to see my subscribed threads, but there isn't a way for it to show threads with unread comments. @LLiddell or @freydrew, is there a way to see this? If not, can it be added? If you add this, the link to the thread should take you to the first unread comment the user hasn't read.

FYI, while writing this, another comment was added to the thread. Because I had visited the thread, I received an email notification and there are now 12 comments since the comment I'm quoting.

It look like there may be a bug in the system. I have already reported it. I'm subscribed to many sub-forums here. I have not received one email notification. May be other members are affected from this bug. Webroot is looking into it.

HTH,
Dave.
Userlevel 7
Badge +28
It look like there may be a bug in the system. I have already reported it. I'm subscribed to many sub-forums here. I have not received one email notification. May be other members are affected from this bug. Webroot is looking into it. HTH, Dave.

I'm receiving notifications as a described. However, any new system is bound to have some bugs.
Userlevel 7
Badge +36
Let's all stay on topic of the thread please.
Userlevel 7
Badge +36

Forums that use this UI method usually have a way to see all threads that your subscribed to that have new comments you haven't read. I see how to see my subscribed threads, but there isn't a way for it to show threads with unread comments. @LLiddell or @freydrew, is there a way to see this? If not, can it be added? If you add this, the link to the thread should take you to the first unread comment the user hasn't read.

FYI, while writing this, another comment was added to the thread. Because I had visited the thread, I received an email notification and there are now 12 comments since the comment I'm quoting.

Let's continue this conversation in this thread: https://community.webroot.com/community-101-2/community-forum-questions-337341
Userlevel 4
Badge +8

It was actually more than 5 years ago so I might made an unfair commentary on the subject...still love Webroot thoGood to hear. Let's hope that they are better at not corrupting backed up data now than they were when you experienced that incident.

Don't want to push you too much on this but if you can remember, and I realise it may be too long ago for you to do so, would you be able to place a year on that incident??

Yeah it was back in 2012 , our offsite backup location suffered a site disaster and to make matters worse Carbonite had a series of server failures which impacted our cloud backups as well. It was a good lesson to learn. While we had invested heavily on security software we didn't really consider the need for more backup redundancy. Who could foresee both offsite solutions suffering failures. In any event it took 6 months to fully rebuild two years of research data. So as in life...data is also fragile...humans make mistakes...things break...fires destroy data centers....stay frosty my friends
Yeah it was back in 2012 , our offsite backup location suffered a site disaster and to make matters worse Carbonite had a series of server failures which impacted our cloud backups as well. It was a good lesson to learn. While we had invested heavily on security software we didn't really consider the need for more backup redundancy. Who could foresee both offsite solutions suffering failures. In any event it took 6 months to fully rebuild two years of research data.
Thanks!

The reason I asked is because there was a serious problem of data loss by Carbonite that was the subject of a lawsuit in 2009 against the firm that had sold them their backup monitoring hardware . It was widely reported in the press at the time. You can see more about it here and here.

I was (optimistically) hoping that the worst (at least) of their data corruption problems was behind their backs after that incident, but your incident was several years later and the Carbonite part of that incident doesn't sound particularly pretty.

Anyway, many thanks for coming back on my second question!
Userlevel 6
Badge +22
Hello ! I receive all notifications as before