News

Carbonite To Be Acquired by OpenText for $23.00 Per Share

• 11 November 2019
  • 7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +48

Hello Webroot Community!

I’m excited to share that this morning, Carbonite, Webroot’s parent company, announced that it has entered into a definitive agreement to be acquired by OpenTextTM (NASDAQ: OTEX, TSX:OTEX)

The transaction represents an exciting next step for Webroot as it enables us to continue providing robust cybersecurity solutions to more customers around the world.

OpenText is the global leader in Enterprise Information Management with a strong roster of services and customer channels that are complementary to ours.

The entire team is united in our mission to make cyber resiliency simple, reliable and accessible in the connected world, and we feel confident that joining forces with OpenText supports that mission.

Click here to view the press release Carbonite issued today regarding this important announcement.

Notice to Investors and Security Holders

The offer referred to in this communication has not yet commenced. The description contained in this communication is neither an offer to purchase nor a solicitation of an offer to sell any securities, nor is it a substitute for the tender offer materials that OpenText and Merger Sub will file with the Securities and Exchange Commission (the “SEC”). The solicitation and offer to buy shares of Carbonite common stock will only be made pursuant to an offer to purchase and related tender offer materials. At the time the offer is commenced, OpenText and Merger Sub will file a tender offer statement on Schedule TO and thereafter Carbonite will file a solicitation/recommendation statement on Schedule 14D-9 with the SEC with respect to the offer. THE TENDER OFFER MATERIALS (INCLUDING AN OFFER TO PURCHASE, A RELATED LETTER OF TRANSMITTAL AND CERTAIN OTHER OFFER DOCUMENTS) AND THE SOLICITATION/RECOMMENDATION STATEMENT ON SCHEDULE 14D-9 WILL CONTAIN IMPORTANT INFORMATION. ANY HOLDERS OF SHARES ARE URGED TO READ THESE DOCUMENTS CAREFULLY WHEN THEY BECOME AVAILABLE BECAUSE THEY WILL CONTAIN IMPORTANT INFORMATION THAT HOLDERS SHOULD CONSIDER BEFORE MAKING ANY DECISION REGARDING TENDERING THEIR SHARES. The offer to purchase, the related letter of transmittal and the solicitation/recommendation statement will be made available for free at the SEC’s website at www.sec.gov. Additional copies may be obtained for free by contacting OpenText or Carbonite. Copies of the documents filed with the SEC by Carbonite will be available free of charge on Carbonite’s internet website at https://investor.carbonite.com or by contacting Carbonite’s Investor Relations Department at (617) 587-1102. Copies of the documents filed with the SEC by OpenText will be available free of charge on OpenText’s internet website at https://investors.opentext.com or by contacting OpenText’s Investor Relations Department at (415) 963-0825.

In addition to the offer to purchase, the related letter of transmittal and certain other tender offer documents, as well as the solicitation/recommendation statement, Carbonite and OpenText will each file annual, quarterly and current reports with the SEC. You may read and copy any reports or other information filed by OpenText or Carbonite at the SEC public reference room at 100 F Street, N.E., Washington, D.C. 20549. Please call the SEC at 1-800-SEC-0330 for further information on the public reference room. Carbonite’s and OpenText’s filings with the SEC are also available to the public from commercial document-retrieval services and at the website maintained by the SEC at http://www.sec.gov.

Forward Looking Statements

The information contained in this communication is as of November [12], 2019. Carbonite assumes no obligation to update forward-looking statements contained in this communication as the result of new information or future events or developments.

This communication contains forward-looking information related to Carbonite, OpenText and the proposed acquisition of Carbonite by OpenText that involves substantial risks and uncertainties that could cause actual results to differ materially from those expressed or implied by such statements. Forward-looking statements in this document include, among other things, statements about the potential benefits of the proposed acquisition, Carbonite’s and OpenText’s plans, objectives, expectations and intentions, the anticipated timing of closing of the proposed acquisition and expected plans for financing the proposed acquisition. Risks and uncertainties include, among other things, risks related to the satisfaction or waiver of the conditions to closing the proposed acquisition (including the failure to obtain necessary regulatory approvals) in the anticipated timeframe or at all, including uncertainties as to how many of Carbonite’s stockholders will tender their shares in the tender offer and the possibility that the acquisition does not close; the possibility that competing offers may be made; risks related to obtaining the requisite consents to the acquisition, including, without limitation, the timing (including possible delays) and receipt of regulatory approvals from various governmental entities (including any conditions, limitations or restrictions placed on these approvals and the risk that one or more governmental entities may deny approval); risks related to the ability to realize the anticipated benefits of the proposed acquisition, including the possibility that the expected benefits and accretion from the proposed acquisition will not be realized or will not be realized within the expected time period; the risk that the businesses will not be integrated successfully; Carbonite’s ability to integrate the Webroot acquisition and achieve the expected benefits of such acquisition; Carbonite’s ability to profitably attract new customers and retain existing customers; Carbonite’s dependence on the market for cloud backup services, and its ability to manage growth, changes in economic or regulatory conditions or other trends affecting the Internet and the information technology industry; disruption from the transaction making it more difficult to maintain business and operational relationships; significant transaction costs; unknown liabilities; the risk of litigation and/or regulatory actions related to the proposed acquisition; other business effects, including the effects of industry, market, economic, political or regulatory conditions; future exchange and interest rates; and changes in tax and other laws, regulations, rates and policies.

A further description of risks and uncertainties relating to Carbonite can be found in Carbonite Annual Report on Form 10-K for the fiscal year ended December 31, 2018, and in its subsequent Quarterly

Reports on Form 10-Q and Current Reports on Form 8-K, all of which are filed with the SEC and available at www.sec.gov and www.carbonite.com.

7 replies

Some interesting information I’ve gleaned about OpenText and posted to another Forum:

Some information about OpenText:
Canadian company
Founded: 1991
Activity: development and sale of Enterprise Information Management software
Annual Revenue: US$ 2.815bn (2018 )
No. employees: 12,200 (as of Aug 2018 )
Regional headquarters:
Americas: Waterloo, ON, CA
Asia Pacific and Japan: Sydney, AU
Europe, Middle East, and Africa: Munich (Grasbrunn), DE
(±100 regional office locations worldwide in total)

"University of Waterloo professors Frank Tompa, Timothy Bray, and Gaston Gonnet founded OpenText Corporation in 1991. It grew out of OpenText Systems Inc., founded in 1989. The founders spun the company off from a University of Waterloo project that developed technology to index the Oxford English Dictionary."

Information sources: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenText
https://www.opentext.com/about/office-locations

I have a question to ask regarding the acquisition.

A little bit of searching reveals that OpenText is an Information Management solution that has historically been aimed at larger companies. In the press reports, there is talk of how this acquisition marks a new move for OpenText into the SME sector.

So what are the implications of this acquisition for Webroot’s many private consumers like myself?

A little bit of searching reveals that OpenText is an Information Management solution that has historically been aimed at larger companies. In the press reports, there is talk of how this acquisition marks a new move for OpenText into the SME sector.

So what are the implications of this acquisition for Webroot’s many private consumers like myself?

My question was addressed to Webroot. @freydrew?

Userlevel 7
Badge +48

Great question. The transaction will allows us to strengthen our offerings and global footprint, which will enhance the services we can provide to our loyal customers and partners like you. There is little additional information I can share right now, but I look forward to sharing more details as we go through the acquisition and integration process.

Thanks for the reply,@freydrew :relaxed:

So you’re saying that, looking forward, OpenText is committed to continuing to offer cybersecurity protection not only to Webroot’s corporate customers but also to its private consumers? Is that correct?

Thanks for the reply,@freydrew :relaxed:

So you’re saying that, looking forward, OpenText is committed to continuing to offer cybersecurity protection not only to Webroot’s corporate customers but also to its private consumers? Is that correct?

It’s now a week since I posted this question, but still no answer.

It’s nice to have a warm, fuzzy answer like:

The transaction will allows us to strengthen our offerings and global footprint, which will enhance the services we can provide to our loyal customers and partners like you.

but your answer leaves me with the uncomfortable feeling that you haven’t really said anything specific.

@freydrew (or @khumphrey?), it really would be helpful to have an answer to my question:

Is OpenText committed to continuing to offer cybersecurity protection not only to Webroot’s corporate customers but also to its private consumers?

The answer could be Yes, No, or I don’t know yet. Indeed, the latter would be a perfectly valid answer.

Very much hoping that you can give us an indication one way or the other of how the ground currently lies.

Userlevel 7
Badge +28

@Muddy7,

I’ve been off the community for awhile and just now saw this. However, I’m a business customer and I’ve been getting very odd answers from support on an issue for a little over a month. My support ticket was being handled by someone in a European office that might be worried about losing their job, so I got strained answers from him. The case got switched to someone in the US and they’ve been more helpful, but they also seem to not have complete answers. I’m not blaming this person, because one of their answers was that the developers said that there was no longer any issue with their new Script Shield in the latest version. However, I can pinpoint the exact process that it’s conflicting with. Sadly, it’s the explorer.exe process, which is a basic process in every version of Windows. Another issue is the Command function in the GSM Console has been broken for months and there doesn’t appear to be a resolution in sight. At this point, I get the feeling that they don’t care, at least until the dust settles and things get decided as to what their place is at OpenText. I suggest they figure it out quickly, because our renewal is due in January and if they aren’t a stable platform again by then, we’re gone. I’m sorry you’re also having so much trouble getting answers too!

Sincerely,

NicCrockett