Luminaries Survey: Business documentation results

• 24 September 2018
  • 9 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +4
  • Webroot Employee
  • 18 replies
Hello world!

Moto here. I’m a customer experience designer here at Webroot. I work behind the scenes to improve the way anyone works with Webroot outside of our products.
For two weeks in August I ran a survey asking the Webroot Luminaries to choose between several treatment options for the Webroot product guides. We got a lot of unexpected participation, so I wanted to share the results. I’m hoping we can continue the discussion in the comments here.

Tone: Simple bullet points and conversational
81% preferred that we use compact sentences with bullet points for easy scanning. From the comments, we should write in a personal and conversational tone.

Define industry or Webroot terms: Very yes.
We showed a new type of documentation style where we use breakout boxes to define industry terms or terms we use for Webroot products. 94% preferred that we use this technique as it’s easy for an expert to skip over while standing out to a novice user.

Using diagrams:
Of three types of illustrations, 65% preferred that we reuse our marketing illustrations from data sheets and white papers.

Include or link to technical details: Tie
In the survey, we had an example where we link to system requirements to save on space, or provide the complete list. The results were closely tied leaning to always include details like system requirements in the document. From the comments we know that people do not want to click through to new tabs, but they also do not want long laundry lists of details that can be found on the website when researching the product. We’re considering using an expand and collapse feature to keep the details hidden, but when clicked, it reveals the details.

(Because there was no clear winner, there's no example.)

Number or do not number major steps: Number and label
66% of participants like the idea of us numbering the major steps to set up our products. These will appear usually as “three steps to get your product installed” with the headlines for each major step numbered and consistent with an overview paragraph in the beginning of the guide.

Amount of screenshots: Every step
67% prefer that we include a screenshot for each step in our guides, with the fields or labels highlighted with a red marquee.

So there we are. We’re working to include all of these results in our next set of Getting Stated Guides.

But there’s always more questions. This survey couldn’t answer:
  • If the same treatments would work for our consumer products.
  • If these results would apply to the full Administrator Guides, the Getting Started Guides, or both.
Feel free to sound off with a reply.

M

9 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +4
Clever idea to use gain opinion & feedback, thanks for the tip which I''l certainly use 🙂
Userlevel 1
I always believe that more is more instead of less is more.
Userlevel 2
Badge +3
Thanks for sharing the results.  This is good info to learn when even trying to market our own services.
Userlevel 4
Badge +6
This is very cool how you circled back to let us know how that survey went. Thank you @
-Mike
Userlevel 2
Very interesting
Userlevel 2
Badge +6
Thanks for the update! An interesting read, I think the expandable details is a great way to add additional information while keeping the information organized.
Userlevel 4
Badge +3
Hi Moto
You mention %ages.  What was the sample size (number of respondants)?

Userlevel 4
Badge +8
Thank you for the feedback, it's nice and interesting to read the results. I like the idea that more details is hidden and can be revealed on when needed. 

@ wrote:

But there’s always more questions. This survey couldn’t answer:
  • If the same treatments would work for our consumer products.
  • If these results would apply to the full Administrator Guides, the Getting Started Guides, or both.
Feel free to sound off with a reply.

M
Regarding the above, I think it would be good to have consistency throughout all Webroot's Products and areas. The survey results produced a well balanced conclusion, so I can't see why that wouldn't work for the other products and areas as well.

Looking forward to seeing the final product...
Userlevel 4
Badge +4
Thanks for all the comments so far. Let me answer a few questions:

Audience size: 68 people completed the survey. Usually we get 20-40 responses to a survey of this length.

How do the results apply to the documentation?
We think that we'll apply the same treatments to our consumer line of documents, but we also want to perform a similar survey with the Luminaries for our home products.

The result to include a screenshot at every step is tricky when we look at our Getting Started Guides vs. our Admin Guides. In general, we're trying to keep the length of the Getting Started Guides reasonable - so we're probably not going to call out each individual field in a form with a shot. Instead, we're looking at including the entire form before and after completion as a good "bookend". But in the admin guides we'll be as thourough as possible.

Your friendly neighborhood Webroot Designerd,

M