Nastiest Malware

Nastiest Malware 2020

• 23 October 2020
  • 11 replies
Nastiest Malware 2020
Userlevel 7
Badge +48

Once again, it’s time to examine the year’s biggest cyber threats and rank them to see which ones are in the running for Nastiest Malware of 2020. For the third year in a row, we’ve combed through the data, analyzed different behaviors, and determined which malicious payloads we think are the absolute worst.

As you might expect, COVID-19 related attacks have risen to the fore. For example, almost all the malspam phishing lures used by malware that we’ve seen are based on COVID-19. The most common lures refer to COVID safety guidelines and pretend to be from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), the World Health Organization (WHO) or the White House. We also saw lures using fake pandemic stimulus check info to trick unsuspecting victims.

While new examples of malware and cybercriminal tactics crop up each day, plenty of the same old players, such as ransomware, continue to dominate the scene. In fact, to maximize their chances of success, many criminals have begun to combine attack methods. A lot of the names you’ll see in this list can cooperate with one another in some way, so we’ll do our best to explain these ghoulish groupings and how they work.

Additional Resources: 

11 replies

Not all links work in these pages.

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

This article tells me nothing.  It just links to other pages that also tell me nothing.

Userlevel 1

Having the same issues as the other users comments 

https://community.webroot.com/news-announcements-3/meet-the-nastiest-malware-of-2020-345415 

Works fine

Userlevel 6
Badge +5

Reading about the Nastiest Malware of 2020 makes me cringe to think of what new Malware is to come. I am thankful I can rely on Webroot to keep my network and my clients networks safe. 

Userlevel 3

Mine seems to work OK

Userlevel 6
Badge +5

Who has taken the “Test your malware knowledge” test? I’m too embarrassed to post my results. It was very interesting to see the answers.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Seems ok for me!

Userlevel 5
Badge +1

I took the plunge with the Ransomware test without having studied the first link beforehand 😂

Didn't too the greatest but hey, was worth a try. 

Definitely worth a look into if you're curious to understand the various/common Ransomware or Malicious tools floating about, attacking networks.

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

Got 6/8 in the quiz,amazed at how much I’m learning through osmosis without concentrating on this stuff.  Not sure it makes things any safer though.

But what I want to know is: Is there a Webroot trivial pursuit planned?

Userlevel 7
Badge +25

Worked for me.