New Community Database: Malware Manifesto

Userlevel 7
Badge +36

Hello Webroot Community!

Today we are soft launching a database of malware threats. This is still pretty early on into it's creation, however we want to start getting feedback.

Why? We found that a lot of users are searching for particular threat variants and Webroot wants to start having a space to display some information. Currently, most of our information is from external sources, however we are working with our Threat team to provide homemade content.

What is it? This is meant to be an encyclopedia resource for any threat that shows up around the web. If you hear about a new kind of malware, our goal is to have Webroot's take on it. Do bear in mind that our perspective for each threat is being gradually rolled out. In the meantime, we've sourced some great articles from other threat researchers.

When will it be done? We're not sure yet, but our goal is to have it completed in the coming months.

Where can I leave feedback? Feel free to post any feedback here, or you can private message myself. We want this to be a tool for anyone that's curious about malware threats and it will eventually include a much more thorough analysis. So if you see anything that could be improved on, let us know so we can make this best it can be!

If you want to check it out, the button is below. Let us know your thoughts in the comments below!

Malware Manifesto 

10 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +63
Thanks for your hard work Lara! 😉
Userlevel 7
Badge +36
@ wrote:
Thanks for your hard work Lara! ;)
Of course! Looking forward to making this even better over time.
Userlevel 7
Badge +54
Thank you @ it is looking good.
Userlevel 7
Badge +36
@ wrote:
Thank you @ it is looking good.
Great, thank you!! It wouldn't be possible without your efforts as well of course, so thank you for that as well.
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Yes, me three...Thank you Lara!:D
Brilliant work, Lara! Thanks!!

All we need now is to have the class of malware specified in the Webroot threat log and, perhaps also, in the Webroot prompt if and when a threat is detected. But I expect, knowing you, that is already in the pipeline?
Userlevel 7
Badge +36
@ wrote:
Brilliant work, Lara! Thanks!!

All we need now is to have the class of malware specified in the Webroot threat log and, perhaps also, in the Webroot prompt if and when a threat is detected. But I expect, knowing you, that is already in the pipeline?
I agree, that would be great to have. I'm honestly not sure if that is in the works, and to be honest, I don't think it is. This is a great idea though and as such, I'll pitch it to the product team.
Userlevel 5
Badge +24
I agree with @ - a built in way to pivot from the detection / discovery into the manifesto from the GSM would be a pretty nice addition.
Userlevel 5
Badge +24
Hey - how about a search for the Manifesto?  The search bar at the top searches the entire Community, and not just the Manifesto.  I was looking for something specific, and being that I didn't know how you classified it, I was going to have to go through each section.   A search by malware name would have been helpful
Userlevel 7
Badge +36
@ wrote:
Hey - how about a search for the Manifesto?  The search bar at the top searches the entire Community, and not just the Manifesto.  I was looking for something specific, and being that I didn't know how you classified it, I was going to have to go through each section.   A search by malware name would have been helpful
That's a great idea!! I'll look into adding a seach bar for it, pretty sure it's possible. Thank you!