OpenText Announces $1M USD Donation to Fight Food Insecurity

• 11 December 2020
  • 11 replies
OpenText Announces $1M USD Donation to Fight Food Insecurity
Userlevel 7
Badge +48

COVID-19 has created significant challenges in communities around the world. Heading into the holiday season, we know that demand for food banks has increased, while at the same time it has been more challenging to hold food drives and campaigns.

“Due to the pandemic, we’ve seen a 35% increase in need for food assistance — a need we project to continue into 2021 and beyond. In order to meet the increase in demand, we’ve had to purchase an enormous amount of food,” said Kim Da Silva, executive director of the Colorado-based Community Food Share.

To play our part in addressing this issue, Webroot parent company OpenText will donate $1 million USD, roughly 4 million meals, to community foodbanks this Holiday Season. In lieu of holiday parties, each office has identified a local foodbank to receive these donations.

“This donation will help us acquire, coordinate, and distribute safe and nutritious food to people in need in Waterloo Region and South Western Ontario, especially during a time when we are seeing an increase in the number of people accessing emergency food assistance,” said Wendi Campbell, CEO of The Food Bank of Waterloo Region in Waterloo, Ontario.

The communities in which we live and work support us every day. We are grateful to be able to give back. 

Click here for more information on the OpenText Voyager Fund community food bank initiative.

11 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +5

Glad to see a company giving directly instead of asking their customers to do it.  Kudos for stepping up.

Few things more irritating than (insert major retailer company here) raking in billions trying to guilt-trip customers into donating.  A lot of people in need and the only ones with money to help are corporations. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Glad to see a company giving directly instead of asking their customers to do it.  Kudos for stepping up.

Few things more irritating than (insert major retailer company here) raking in billions trying to guilt-trip customers into donating.  A lot of people in need and the only ones with money to help are corporations. 

Could not agree more.

Userlevel 7
Badge +63

Very nice!

Userlevel 7
Badge +48

Thanks for the support, @Morrow ! 

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Really happy to be a part of a company that gives to the less fortunate. Warms my heart <3

Userlevel 7
Badge +25

This is excellent. A lot of people do not understand food insecurity. I was on a food bank board for 9 years, and the board chair for two. It was a very eye opening experience.  The majority of our clients (end users, not pantry and distributors) were children. Often, a child’s only hot meal is the one they get at school. But now with Covid and stay at home, that meal is gone. Another large portion of clients were families where both parents worked TWO jobs a day, and still could not make ends reach. It’s. To the panhandler you see on the street, they made up a small portion.  It is working families and children who have to decide to pay the electric bill or buy groceries. I am very happy to see this excellent donation. Thank you from someone who has been donating to such causes for two decades or more. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +5

Great job, Webroot. I’m proud to partner with such a great company!

Userlevel 7
Badge +54

Fantastic idea.

Userlevel 5
Badge +24

This is the kind of donation I can get behind.  Feeding the is doubly important during this uncertain time where jobs aren’t always as certain.

I am grateful to Opentext for showing their thanks in a more stable area of the economy (IT) to give to those who may be in a more precarious position.

Userlevel 3

I’m grateful to have a job and that I don’t need assistance. I’m also grateful for the community at large, including businesses, who step up to provide the means to get people on their feet, especially now.

Userlevel 7
Badge +62

Very generous and very nice to be giving to those who need it! Thank you OpenText!🎄