Solved

Solution Posts

• 19 September 2013
  • 44 replies

Userlevel 2
I would like to come to a better understanding of how solutions work in this forum. In other forums I have been a member of there is only 1 solution post allowed per thread which makes sense to me. Here I have seen 2 and even 3 posts marked as the solution and this seems nuts to me. What is the limit? Is it possible to mark every response to the OP's problem as the solution? I don't believe that all these solutions are being marked by the OP, either. How would most people know that they have the ability to mark multiple posts as solutions? It is hard enough to get people to mark even 1 post as the solution. Not too long ago 1 of my threads was mysteriously marked solved by someone other than myself and even though I said nothing I did not not appreciate it at all. I could understand it if the thread had been dormant for a month, but this was an active thread. I unmarked the solution and marked it solved later when the thread had been solved to my satisfaction. This seems a natural consequence of giving too many or at least the wrong people moderator abilities.

I offer this thread as an example, to date there have been 5 responses to the OP's problem and 3 of them were marked as solutions, am I alone in thinking this is nuts? I believe that the post that best addresses the OP's problem or best answers his question should be marked as the solution, and I believe the OP should be given every opportunity to mark the solution himself.

https://community.webroot.com/t5/Webroot-SecureAnywhere-Complete/I-have-2-strange-startup-entries-called-Webroot-Installer/td-p/57207#.UjpdMVMn21s

Don't get me wrong.  I have not seen a more helpful forum than this one, When you need help you not only get it quick you get it from people that actually know what they are talking about, very refreshing.
icon

Best answer by JimM 19 September 2013, 17:31

View original

44 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Well I marked the solutions in that thread Gorg was going to the right place as well as David and I confirmed it I see no issue. So to you who should get the solution? It was a team effort IMHO.

TH
Userlevel 2
@ wrote:
Well I marked the solutions in that thread Gorg was going to the right place as well as David and I confirmed it I see no issue. So to you who should get the solution? It was a team effort IMHO.

TH
So you don't think that the OP should have the opportunity to mark his own thread solved? You are going to do it for him while the thread is still active? I have a lot of respect for you, and I don't want to step on any toes, but the basic philosophy of what solutions are and how they should work appears to be skewed here.
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Why I knew the answer so I gave them a piece of the pie I like to share sorry that you're taking offence.

TH
Userlevel 2
@ wrote:
Why I knew the answer so I gave them a piece of the pie I like to share sorry that you're taking offence.

TH
None of the questions I have asked in this thread have been answered, so I would appreciate it if you would not mark it solved, thanks.

I only used that thread as an example of multiple solution posts, if I had known you would be offended, I would have chosen a different thread.
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Of course because there isn't any answer I wonder why you're so concerned with tedious things? Many things bother me but I keep it to myself this is a public forum and I belong to many others and you can't make everyone happy. But when you have Questions we try our best to give the best answer as I don't work for Webroot but I know many things about WSA that most don't so should I stop helping Users and Members because I give credit to others being on the same page and I come along and know the correct answer, I try to be nice why should I take all the credit I'm glad others are helping users and members and I encourage it as when this forum started I was the only one that didn't work for Webroot that had correct answers and helping the Community Staff.

Sorry If I have gone off the deep end but.........

TH
Userlevel 2
@ wrote:
Of course because there isn't any answer I wonder why you're so concerned with tedious things? Many things bother me but I keep it to myself this is a public forum and I belong to many others and you can't make everyone happy. But when you have Questions we try our best to give the best answer as I don't work for Webroot but I know many things about WSA that most don't so should I stop helping Users and Members because I give credit to others being on the same page and I come along and know the correct answer, I try to be nice why should I take all the credit I'm glad others are helping users and members and I encourage it as when this forum started I was the only one that didn't work for Webroot that had correct answers and helping the Community Staff.

Sorry If I have gone off the deep end but.........

TH
I never said a word about you giving credit to those other guys, that stuff is all in your head. My problem is with you marking solutions before giving the thread creator a chance to do so.
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
OK you win!

Cheers,

TH
Userlevel 2
@ wrote:
OK you win!

Cheers,

TH
I still have no answers and I angered the highest ranking member of the forum, in what way did I win?
Userlevel 7
Hi tempfile,

seeing a little tension here, it's not necessary. I am sure that @ or @ (Community Managers) will come to this thread and will explain you what is behind philosophy of the accepted solutions.

If I could join the discussion, I would add that having the multiple options to mark solution is definitely nothing wrong because sometime there are more solutions than one and it is good for readers to know which posts give solutions. Furthermore it's worth noting that only Expert Advisors and above ranks are allowed to mark solutions of course including moderators and admins. By this way it is guaranteed that solutions are marked sensitively and appropriately, imho.
Userlevel 2
 Hello pegas

But wouldn't you agree that the thread creator should be able to have the opportunity to mark his own thread solved? If not what is the point of the Accept as Solution button? It should be removed and the higher ranking forum members can decide which posts should be marked as solutions. This is the only forum I have ever seen where active threads are routinely marked solved by someone other than the OP, and the crazy thing is that no one seems to have a problem with it.
Userlevel 7
Well, to be honest I see some logic in what you say and I agree that some balanced solution could be sought. Such solution might be to assign rights to mark solution from Frequent Voice rank but it would be available only for OP. Please understand that certain degree of security needs to be applied because you know ... wandering spammers and similar with their dirty practices might cause some damages.

OK, lets see what admins say.
Userlevel 2
I would just like to say to all Expert Advisors and above, please don't mark solutions in my threads, be decent enough to let me decide which post best addresses my problem or answers my questions, thanks.
Userlevel 7
As Pegas pointed out, it's possible to have more than one right answer sometimes, so there is no need to restrict the accepted solution marking to a single post. The result of this would be that the average passer-by who comes across an archived topic might jump to only one solution, which works but does not optimally suit him.  A lot of times, there is more than one way to do something.  While an OP is the primary beneficiary of the solutions that are provided, this is a public forum with a lot of lurkers who often have the same question, and alternative solutions are equally as valuable and valid to them as what may be declared a primary solution.

That said, I see your point.  While we do restrict solution marking abilities to only those among us who have proven themselves as experts (and the OP in all cases), there can be times where what is accepted as a solution by an expert may not be the answer the OP was looking for.  Misunderstandings can happen too.  In such cases, unless a moderator has said otherwise in the topic, experts should defer to the OP in terms of what is marked as a solution.

Tempfile has asked that experts not mark his threads as solved, and I think it would be the courteous and right thing to do to respect those wishes. 

Out of 5,000+ community members, this is the first time anyone has made such a request, so unless we get similar requests, we aren't likely to change how solutions are handled more generally.

The OP can always over-rule the marked post and reject it as a solution.  The hierarchy of who decides what a solution really is, is:

1. Admins and Moderators
2. OP
3. Experts

Experts, please respect Tempfile's wishes for his topics.  Thanks!  :)

Userlevel 2
Hey Jim

I appreciate your reply. I accept your explanation regarding multiple solutions, I still can't quite wrap my head around it, but I accept it, after all it is your forum and you can do what you want.

I already knew about the multiple solutions, but I just found out last night that active threads are being routinely marked solved without any input from the OP. To say that I was shocked is putting it mildly. As you already know I am a member of another security software forum besides this one. Gurus in that forum have the ability to mark and unmark solutions but that ability is rarely used. Gurus there opt for a much more conservative approach than is taken here and no Guru would even consider marking a solution in someone elses active thread. Such indiscriminate use of the power to mark solutions would almost certainly result in a warning from an administrator. The power to mark solutions is mostly used when a Guru runs across an old, dead thread that should have been marked solved but never was. Some Gurus, even though they have the ability to mark solutions, have never done it and probably never will.

Jim wrote:

The OP can always over-rule the marked post and reject it as a solution.

Yes but how many people know that? I have observed while working that other forum that a lot of people don't even know how to mark solutions, let alone unmark them.

As I asked in my opening post, I would still like to know how far this multiple solution thing can go. How many posts can be marked as the solution? Is there any limit? Is it possible for every response to the OP to be marked as a solution?

Again, thanks for your response.
Userlevel 7
I would agree that we shouldn't be marking solutions unless A. they are actually the solution and usually B. we've provided a reasonable amount of time for the OP to do it himself. That said, I'm quite confident our experts are not acting indiscriminately in their use of accepting solutions. I read every post that gets made on the community, and I'm caught up. I don't see any solutions marked that shouldn't be.

Regarding how many people know how to mark a solution, your point actually makes the case for having moderators and experts take care of this for users since many of them may not know how to mark a solution at all when they first start off on the community.

In theory, sure, it's possible that a topic could be created and every answer is, in reality, a solution, and gets marked as such. That is pretty unlikely to happen though.

Looking at the thread you mentioned, I could go either way on whether or not those should all be marked or not. It looks to me like we've got 3 answers there that all essentially say the same thing with varying degrees of certainty. On that particular topic, it might be sensible to only mark Gorg's since the subsequent two are just more authoritative restatements of the same thing. On the other hand, we use accepted solutions in the ranking criteria, and we want to encourage helpfulness. Gorg was uncertain of his answer, but he was then backed up by two users who most certainly did provide solutions as well. We don't want to ignore those contributions but rather encourage them to help the community grow and thrive. What are everyone's thoughts on this?
Userlevel 2
Jim wrote:

I would agree that we shouldn't be marking solutions unless A. they are actually the solution and usually B. we've provided a reasonable amount of time for the OP to do it himself.

Bingo. That is exactly how I feel about it.
Userlevel 2
Jim wrote:

Looking at the thread you mentioned, I could go either way on whether or not those should all be marked or not. It looks to me like we've got 3 answers there that all essentially say the same thing with varying degrees of certainty

The main reason I mentioned that thread was to use it as an example of multiple solution posts in the same thread, but given the fact that multiple solutions are going to continue to be allowed here I don't have a problem with the choices that were made. The problem I had is that the OP was never really given the opportunity to mark his own thread solved. I think all the experts that routinely mark other peoples active threads solved should ask themselves how they would like it if they started a thread and someone came along and marked it solved the same day they started it without consulting them, I don't think they would like it much, I know I wouldn't.
Userlevel 7
@ wrote:
The main reason I mentioned that thread was to use it as an example of multiple solution posts in the same thread, but given the fact that multiple solutions are going to continue to be allowed here I don't have a problem with the choices that were made. The problem I had is that the OP was never really given the opportunity to mark his own thread solved. I think all the experts that routinely mark other peoples active threads solved should ask themselves how they would like it if they started a thread and someone came along and marked it solved the same day they started it without consulting them, I don't think they would like it much, I know I wouldn't.
I completely agree.  Experts, let's try to keep this in mind going forward if we aren't already.  Thanks 🙂
Userlevel 7
Time to give my $0.02 worth.

I happen to in the main agree. Usually if I mark a reply as a solution I am 99% sure that solution is valid. If I have doubts, I often wait 24 hours to give the OP a chance to reply before clicking Solution on what reasonably seems valid.

A lot of threads WILL have more than one solution:
A) there may be more than one path to solving the issue
😎 often more than just one person has posted an issue on the thread: both the OP as well as others who feel they have the same issue. The different issues on the thread may have different solutions so multiples will be marked.

If after a wait period that gave the OP a reasonable time to reply, I click Solution, only to later find I was wrong, I remove my own solution. I have done so more than once.

If new guidelines need to be made for the Experts to follow, I fully understand. Ours is a growing Community and we need to be able to adapt as we grow.

@ I will not mark your threads as solved. Any other OP's that make such a request will also gladly be honored as well.
Userlevel 7
I'm just going to move this over to announcements. I feel like we're all on the same page as far as marking solutions goes, and this can live in the announcements forum for reference. Good discussion! (which is welcome to continue - I'm just moving it to a new place)
Userlevel 7
I surely will accept tempfile's and Jim's requirement. No problem for me, if I recall correctly I had marked solutions in less than 10 cases (considering I have made 1300 posts I can dare to say that I am not a frequent solutions marker). As I already said, I see certain value in tempfile's complaint but I have to also say that it doesn't matter who marks solution, at least for me. I don't care if Jim, tempfile, TH, David or anybody else will mark solution(s) in my threads. What matters for me is if the marked solutions are correct and not who marked it.
Userlevel 2
pegas wrote:

if I recall correctly I had marked solutions in less than 10 cases (considering I have made 1300 posts I can dare to say that I am not a frequent solutions marker).

I applaud your restraint, if the other experts were as conservative as you I would see no problem.
Userlevel 2
Wondering why this thread was moved to the relative obscurity of community announcements.  In checking the posts in this thread, I didn't see anything that could be construed as a community announcement. So why was it moved?
Userlevel 7
@   Jim moved it on Thursday.  Please go back 4 posts to his last reply, he explained the move quite clearly I think.

Userlevel 2
I saw that. It was about as clear as mud.