The Next Generation of Webroot SecureAnywhere is Here

• 25 September 2013
  • 54 replies

Show first post

54 replies

Userlevel 5
8.0.3.3 is the latest version, so your WSA isn't wrong.

The 2014 isn't released just yet. This is just to give everybody a heads up on what is to come. Since they announced it, I doubt you'll need to wait very long to actually be able to use it.

In regards to your other question. From what I've read, yes, they are using Brightcloud in the new version's phishing shield functionality.
Userlevel 4
Thanks for the info Jgouverneur! I'm part of the original test group, but I have been out of the loop for a while. I will contact them tomorrow.  I'm sure I can get a copy of it. It will be great to see BrightCloud working in WSA!

Thanks!
Michael
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Hi Michael,

You should still have the email with the info to Download the Beta that was given to us back then. With that being said not all the features are turned on at this point meaning the new Web Shield.

TH
Userlevel 7
As is usually the case with updates, not everyone will receive the update at once. It's going to happen in batches to prevent any possible server overload. Please don't be alarmed if you don't have the update yet. You will receive it over the course of the next few weeks. 🙂
Userlevel 5
Yes, the 2014 release fully uses BrightCloud across the stack, as well as several improvements which the teams have made on top of the existing BrightCloud technology.
Userlevel 7
Badge +6
Hi Joe,
With the integration of BrightCloud how do you now see WSAWSS positioned in the marketplace?

I assume you will be saying WSAWSS is a full in-line IPS and content filter, while WSA will use BrightCloud in a concurrent fashion - getting many of the benefits but in a query-based model as sites existing and new are submitted to be scanned?

I keep getting the anouncement popping up every couple of minutes.  It is getting most annoying.  How can I shut it off?
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Hello beckden and Welcome to the Webroot Community Forums.

I wouldn't worry about it at least there letting customers know because the GUI will be Dark Green and didn't want anyone to freak out from the White and Green GUI that you currently have I think it's great that they are showing messages.

Cheers,

TH
Userlevel 5
@ wrote:
Hi Joe,
With the integration of BrightCloud how do you now see WSAWSS positioned in the marketplace?

I assume you will be saying WSAWSS is a full in-line IPS and content filter, while WSA will use BrightCloud in a concurrent fashion - getting many of the benefits but in a query-based model as sites existing and new are submitted to be scanned?

That's correct - WSA's web filtering is a cut-down version of what WSAWSS provides. WSAWSS gives you considerably more granularity over what's blocked/how it's managed/how it's reported/etc. whereas WSA is just using BrightCloud's reputation and classification databases to block malicious websites (and feed back into those databases as well).
Userlevel 3
Is the application going to change for business Endpoint Protection as well? Or is it just for home users?
Userlevel 7
@ wrote:
Is the application going to change for business Endpoint Protection as well? Or is it just for home users?
Good question!  It will change for Endpoint Protection users as well, but they are not scheduled to receive the update for at least a few weeks.
Userlevel 7
Thx Tony for the link. Great summary of the new WSA features and capabilities.
Userlevel 7
Badge +6

• Wipes away all traces of online activity and makes deleted files unrecoverable
You wipe the pagefile and hibernation file? Every single internet path in every byte of the hard drive? Every piece of slack space that can contain browser information? You instantly update whenever Chrome updates and stores new data in new locations? It also retroactively wipes deleted files?

Is Webroot certifying that if I run their software, I can make a copy of my hard drive, submit it to both commercial and police investigators and they will never find anything?

Someone needs to reign in marketing this is a ridiculous claim.
Userlevel 7
I like when things are not so bright even if they look like ... so can you kindly elaborate. I do not have such IT knowledge to understand your statement. Thx Explanoit in advance.
Userlevel 3
@ wrote:

• Wipes away all traces of online activity and makes deleted files unrecoverable

I don't quite understand why is it mentioned here at all as a new feature. It looks like the old "system cleaner" functionality. Making deleted files unrecoverable is for WSA just rewriting data several times with random zeroes and ones. I think that to make it more or less unrecoverable a given data must be rewritten at least 35 times. I doubt that WSA is that much thorough.
Userlevel 3

In speaking with experts in the data recovery field, they've said that overwriting files once is sufficient with modern drives, unlike drives of the past where many overwrites were required.
Hi Joe
 By modern drives you mean SSD or something else?

Userlevel 3
What happened to Website Filter? I cannot find it in the new release
Userlevel 7

@ wrote:
What happened to Website Filter? I cannot find it in the new release
If you don't have it yet, you will get it soon. The new shield (based on BrightCloud) is being rolled out gradually in batches.
can not create an account because key code is not accepted.  Is there a telephone number I can call for help?
Userlevel 7
Badge +35
Hi basenji56,

You can call our US support line at 866-612-4227, or you can check our knowledge base information on keycode issues here

Userlevel 7
@ wrote:
can not create an account because key code is not accepted.  Is there a telephone number I can call for help?
Here you go 😉 http://www.webroot.com/us/en/support/contact  Best would be to submit a ticket in that link giving the support team your keycode and asking for help.:)

Edit : Well Anna and Aaron beat me to it.:p
Userlevel 3
Hi since the upgrade I keep getting error 21 when I try to change any settings. The portal says the matches will sync, but the client is turned off.
Userlevel 2
Zoolkeeper, as previously suggested use the open ticket support here: http://www.webroot.com/us/en/support/contact.

I like it but I do have one tiny suggestion.  I like to do manual virus scans, manual clean ups, and manual backups.  The manual virus scans and manual clean ups are easy, but to do a manual backup I have to click through about three or four screens.  I would like to see that button in a more prominent place.
Userlevel 5
Badge +24
The new GUI is more compact. I am getting comfortable with it. As far as.. its good.
I still miss the firewall configuration though.