The Next Generation of Webroot SecureAnywhere is Here

• 25 September 2013
  • 54 replies

Userlevel 7
  • Retired Webrooter
  • 1581 replies
At Webroot, we continually strive for excellence. We're very excited to unveil our latest improvements to SecureAnywhere:

• New interface that's even easier to use
  • Features and protection information at your fingertips
  • Set it and forget it – continuous protection without interruptions or slowdowns
  • Stronger identity protection with real-time anti-phishing to block fake websites that trick you into entering your personal information
  • A seamless update process – product improvements are continually added in the background, with no action required
For a quick recap of what's changed, please take a look at this video, featuring @, our lead developer:

Additional screenshots and explanations are available on this page.

So, what are your initial thoughts?  We love feedback!

54 replies

Userlevel 4
Jim, what happened to the "System Analyzer"? Has that been removed? And if so, is the only difference between Internet Security and Complete now only the Back up?
Userlevel 7
System Analyzer is still in there. It's under "System Control," though that area wasn't visited during the video.

There are other differences between Complete and Internet Security Plus. System Optimizer is available only in Complete. The number of devices allowed per keycode is also different based on which version you purchase, with 5 devices being available for Complete. And, as you mentioned, Backup & Sync is available only in Complete.
Userlevel 5
Thanks Jim! We're still putting the finishing touches on the 2014 release but I'll be checking in if there are any questions in the meantime.
Userlevel 7
Badge +6
As I've already left my feedback in private with the screenshots I will just ask these:

Any new functionality regarding out of date browser plugins?

Examples of deep architectural improvements?

Also, your description of phishing shield sounds more like DPI/anti-exploit detections than detecting fake Wells Fargo sites. Please explain.

Also, more info about Webroot Infrared?
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
@ wrote:
Thanks Jim! We're still putting the finishing touches on the 2014 release but I'll be checking in if there are any questions in the meantime.
Hi Joe,

Nice to see you drop by 2014 looks very Kwel! 

Cheers,

Daniel
Userlevel 6
The wait is too stressful!!!:D
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
@ wrote:
The wait is too stressful!!!:D
Hey RP were you part of the original Closed Beta Tester? :)

Daniel
Userlevel 7
I am still on my old phone so have not seen the video yet. Those screenshots look great!

I would like to hear more about "Webroot Infrared" as well.

All in all, it looks like the wait has been well worthwhile!
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
@DavidP1970 wrote:
I am still on my old phone so have not seen the video yet. Those screenshots look great!

I would like to hear more about "Webroot Infrared" as well.

All in all, it looks like the wait has been well worthwhile!
Hey no smoking you always do when your on your phone!  https://community.webroot.com/t5/Non-Techie/Good-Morning-Thread/m-p/57717#M1754

Daniel
Userlevel 7
ARRRG! Busted again! 🙂
Userlevel 6
Not this one TH....
Userlevel 7
Although Infrared is great technology, there were several names for it that did not make the cut. Here is the top list of names that were dropped in favor of Infrared:

1) Ultraviolet

2) Super Duper Virus Scooper

3) Joe's Magic Thing

4) Webroot In The Cloud With Diamonds

5) Nickleback

6) Catastrophic Diverter

7) All Your Base Are Belong To Us

😎 Beer Pong
Userlevel 5
I like "Webroot In the Cloud WIth Diamonds" 😃
Userlevel 7
My favorite is: "Joe's Magic Thing"

:robothappy:
Userlevel 4
I have WSA Complete installed, and it is not updating to the lateset version by autoupdate. It says WSA is up to date when I manually choose update from the tray icon. Is there a direct link for the update? I have V 8.0.3.3 installed.
Userlevel 4
Also, is WSA now using BrightCloud in real-time to block phishing sites?
Userlevel 5
8.0.3.3 is the latest version, so your WSA isn't wrong.

The 2014 isn't released just yet. This is just to give everybody a heads up on what is to come. Since they announced it, I doubt you'll need to wait very long to actually be able to use it.

In regards to your other question. From what I've read, yes, they are using Brightcloud in the new version's phishing shield functionality.
Userlevel 4
Thanks for the info Jgouverneur! I'm part of the original test group, but I have been out of the loop for a while. I will contact them tomorrow.  I'm sure I can get a copy of it. It will be great to see BrightCloud working in WSA!

Thanks!
Michael
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Hi Michael,

You should still have the email with the info to Download the Beta that was given to us back then. With that being said not all the features are turned on at this point meaning the new Web Shield.

TH
Userlevel 7
As is usually the case with updates, not everyone will receive the update at once. It's going to happen in batches to prevent any possible server overload. Please don't be alarmed if you don't have the update yet. You will receive it over the course of the next few weeks. 🙂
Userlevel 5
Hi explanoit - here are a few quick comments:

Any new functionality regarding out of date browser plugins? - We aren't specifically parsing browser plugins but System Analyzer will detect out of date core browser components.

Examples of deep architectural improvements? Yes, we have some significant improvements within our cloud database which will considerably improve performance, and numerous improvements on the client side related to efficiency and efficacy.

Also, your description of phishing shield sounds more like DPI/anti-exploit detections than detecting fake Wells Fargo sites. Please explain. We do have additional anti-exploit technology within the 2014 release but the phishing shield is primarily realtime analysis of page content to determine its intent. It allows us to interpret what is shown on the screen to see if it appears to be a phishing attack, using a machine learning network.

Also, more info about Webroot Infrared? I believe we'll be detailing more information about Infrared in the next few weeks but it is essentially a multi-layered defense system which works in realtime to block threats even if our cloud knows nothing about them.

Apologies for the short responses, but it's a busy week! Let me know if you have any other questions!
Userlevel 5
Yes, the 2014 release fully uses BrightCloud across the stack, as well as several improvements which the teams have made on top of the existing BrightCloud technology.
Userlevel 7
Badge +6
Hi Joe,
With the integration of BrightCloud how do you now see WSAWSS positioned in the marketplace?

I assume you will be saying WSAWSS is a full in-line IPS and content filter, while WSA will use BrightCloud in a concurrent fashion - getting many of the benefits but in a query-based model as sites existing and new are submitted to be scanned?

I keep getting the anouncement popping up every couple of minutes.  It is getting most annoying.  How can I shut it off?
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Hello beckden and Welcome to the Webroot Community Forums.

I wouldn't worry about it at least there letting customers know because the GUI will be Dark Green and didn't want anyone to freak out from the White and Green GUI that you currently have I think it's great that they are showing messages.

Cheers,

TH