The Next Generation of Webroot SecureAnywhere is Here

• 25 September 2013
  • 54 replies

Userlevel 7
  • Retired Webrooter
  • 1581 replies
At Webroot, we continually strive for excellence. We're very excited to unveil our latest improvements to SecureAnywhere:

• New interface that's even easier to use
  • Features and protection information at your fingertips
  • Set it and forget it – continuous protection without interruptions or slowdowns
  • Stronger identity protection with real-time anti-phishing to block fake websites that trick you into entering your personal information
  • A seamless update process – product improvements are continually added in the background, with no action required
For a quick recap of what's changed, please take a look at this video, featuring @, our lead developer:

Additional screenshots and explanations are available on this page.

So, what are your initial thoughts?  We love feedback!

54 replies

Userlevel 5
@ wrote:
Hi Joe,
With the integration of BrightCloud how do you now see WSAWSS positioned in the marketplace?

I assume you will be saying WSAWSS is a full in-line IPS and content filter, while WSA will use BrightCloud in a concurrent fashion - getting many of the benefits but in a query-based model as sites existing and new are submitted to be scanned?

That's correct - WSA's web filtering is a cut-down version of what WSAWSS provides. WSAWSS gives you considerably more granularity over what's blocked/how it's managed/how it's reported/etc. whereas WSA is just using BrightCloud's reputation and classification databases to block malicious websites (and feed back into those databases as well).
Userlevel 3
Is the application going to change for business Endpoint Protection as well? Or is it just for home users?
Userlevel 7
@ wrote:
Is the application going to change for business Endpoint Protection as well? Or is it just for home users?
Good question!  It will change for Endpoint Protection users as well, but they are not scheduled to receive the update for at least a few weeks.
Userlevel 5
For those that wish to read it, here is the press release posted today: http://www.webroot.com/us/en/company/press-room/releases/webroot-delivers-next-generation-consumer-protection-and-enriched-user-experience
Userlevel 7
Thx Tony for the link. Great summary of the new WSA features and capabilities.
Userlevel 7
Badge +6

• Wipes away all traces of online activity and makes deleted files unrecoverable
You wipe the pagefile and hibernation file? Every single internet path in every byte of the hard drive? Every piece of slack space that can contain browser information? You instantly update whenever Chrome updates and stores new data in new locations? It also retroactively wipes deleted files?

Is Webroot certifying that if I run their software, I can make a copy of my hard drive, submit it to both commercial and police investigators and they will never find anything?

Someone needs to reign in marketing this is a ridiculous claim.
Userlevel 7
I like when things are not so bright even if they look like ... so can you kindly elaborate. I do not have such IT knowledge to understand your statement. Thx Explanoit in advance.
Userlevel 3
@ wrote:

• Wipes away all traces of online activity and makes deleted files unrecoverable

I don't quite understand why is it mentioned here at all as a new feature. It looks like the old "system cleaner" functionality. Making deleted files unrecoverable is for WSA just rewriting data several times with random zeroes and ones. I think that to make it more or less unrecoverable a given data must be rewritten at least 35 times. I doubt that WSA is that much thorough.
Userlevel 5
@ wrote:
@ wrote:

I don't quite understand why is it mentioned here at all as a new feature. It looks like the old "system cleaner" functionality. Making deleted files unrecoverable is for WSA just rewriting data several times with random zeroes and ones. I think that to make it more or less unrecoverable a given data must be rewritten at least 35 times. I doubt that WSA is that much thorough.

We have simplified the settings for the System Optimizer, and renamed it, so I believe they're mentioning it again to ensure users know where to find it. We overwrite files seven times with random data and do so from kernel mode, avoiding using OS calls to ensure we have a "clean path" to overwrite them. We also have several other tricks in place, like overwriting previously used sectors and partially filled sectors in case the file changed size.

In speaking with experts in the data recovery field, they've said that overwriting files once is sufficient with modern drives, unlike drives of the past where many overwrites were required.

To explanoit regarding wiping all internet traces - technically we do not wipe every trace of everything that you've ever done online (which would involve deleting any downloaded files, removing any downloaded software or updates, etc.) but we do erase your history and cookies/flash cookies if configured. I think the functionality we provide is what users expect from this type of feature, but let me know if you feel there's any disambiguation that would be beneficial provide here.

Thanks!
Userlevel 3

In speaking with experts in the data recovery field, they've said that overwriting files once is sufficient with modern drives, unlike drives of the past where many overwrites were required.
Hi Joe
 By modern drives you mean SSD or something else?

Userlevel 2
As far as overwriting is concerned, the 'full house' setting is more than enough for any of my requirements...

As for the new format, I find that most sections, almost speak for themselves, leaving little or nothing beyond the realms of imagination...

Well done: all those concerned....

Robinski ~ RD...
Userlevel 2
If you remember the Window Washer from Webroot that is now currently the System Optimizer, it initially wiped your device 99 times. But due the fact that the FBI, NSA said if we rewrite over 9 times they can not recover evidence to persecute offenders we had to scale back the amount of rewrites to 9 wipes to allow them to do their job. As of now the 9 rewrites are enough to protect you from any virus that would attack your cookies and temp internet files to recover your sensitive information. Which is the true purpose of the System Optimizer.
Userlevel 3
What happened to Website Filter? I cannot find it in the new release
Userlevel 7

@ wrote:
What happened to Website Filter? I cannot find it in the new release
If you don't have it yet, you will get it soon. The new shield (based on BrightCloud) is being rolled out gradually in batches.
can not create an account because key code is not accepted.  Is there a telephone number I can call for help?
Userlevel 7
Badge +35
Hi basenji56,

You can call our US support line at 866-612-4227, or you can check our knowledge base information on keycode issues here

Userlevel 2
Double check your keycode, the most common mistake is the second set of characters is ONLN no ONIN. If you have any issues, I am at my desk at webroot and can personally help you out. 800-772-9383x3681 my name is Aaron.
Userlevel 7
@ wrote:
can not create an account because key code is not accepted.  Is there a telephone number I can call for help?
Here you go 😉 http://www.webroot.com/us/en/support/contact  Best would be to submit a ticket in that link giving the support team your keycode and asking for help.:)

Edit : Well Anna and Aaron beat me to it.:p
Userlevel 3
Hi since the upgrade I keep getting error 21 when I try to change any settings. The portal says the matches will sync, but the client is turned off.
Userlevel 2
Zoolkeeper, as previously suggested use the open ticket support here: http://www.webroot.com/us/en/support/contact.

Am really liking the new format and ease of use. Covers all the important areas and protects the comp. Thanks for the aweosme update!:D
I like it but I do have one tiny suggestion.  I like to do manual virus scans, manual clean ups, and manual backups.  The manual virus scans and manual clean ups are easy, but to do a manual backup I have to click through about three or four screens.  I would like to see that button in a more prominent place.
Userlevel 5
Badge +24
The new GUI is more compact. I am getting comfortable with it. As far as.. its good.
I still miss the firewall configuration though.
Userlevel 7
@ and @
Hello and welcome to the Community where everyday is a new learning experience.:) Feel free ask any questions or clear any confusions here in the Community. The whole Community is here to help.;)
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
WHY WOULD WEBROOT RELEACE A NEW VERSION/INTERFACE WITHOUT HAVING THE WHOLE APP COMPATIBLE WITH W81....?! THE PASSWORD MANAGEMENT TOOLBAR IS NOT COMPATIBLE WITH E 11. POOR TIMING ON THE PART OF WEBROOT...!!