The Webroot Weekly Digest: 3/23/18

• 23 March 2018
  • 6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +48
Welcome to the Weekly Webroot Digest! 

This is a weekly series to highlight the best articles and news stories going on in the Community. 

What was your favorite story? What topics would you like to see? Sound off in the comments! 

Cyber News Rundown: Zenis Ransomware Deletes Backups

Zenis Ransomware Makes Resolution Problematic for Victims

Researchers recently discovered a new ransomware variant named Zenis that encrypts in the usual way, but, in a new twist, also deletes all available backups and event logs, and even disables startup repair. In a further departure from the norm, the ransom note doesn’t mention a specific price. Instead, the author requests that victims send the ransom note and another small file to various email addresses to verify that the ransomware author can decrypt them. The author then sends a final price, likely based on the types and quantity of files that will need to be encrypted. It’s still unclear how the variant is being distributed—possibly through RDP or spam emails.

Orbitz Suffers Major Data Breach

Travel site Orbitz has admitted to being the latest victim in a continuing trend of data breaches that affect hundreds of thousands of customers. In this case, the data for nearly 800,000 Orbitz customers was compromised, and the breach lasted from January 2016 until December of 2017. While officials are still working to determine the initial access point, they have discovered that the lost data included full payment info, as well as complete personal data for the company’s customers.

Fake Amazon Ad Achieves Top Position in Google Search Results

In the last several days, researchers found that the top search result for Amazon.com was actually fake and was redirecting anyone who clicked it to a fake tech support page that tried to scare the visitor into contacting Windows Support. Fortunately, Google worked quickly to remove the malicious link from its search results, and GoDaddy took down the domain within an hour of being notified.

For more stories you might have missed this week, read the rest of the Cyber News Rundown.

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +63
Thanks Drew great info!
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Thank you Drew! 🙂
Userlevel 3
Badge +9
There is some very helpful info on this site and from its members. Once, one of my e-mail addresses was compromised. I was getting email from my e-address. I found that if I blocked my own email it would actually block the person who compromised my address. Never had a problem since and it's been over a year. I was told that I could not block my own e-address but I tried doing so anyway. It apparently worked.
Userlevel 7
Badge +48
Appreciate the feedback everyone. If there's anything specific you would like us to touch on, let me know! 

Userlevel 3
Badge +9
How about this; Is 46 Mbps download and 12 upload considered fast speeds? My computer seems quite fast. Sometimes up to 52 Mbps download

Thanks,
Mike
Userlevel 5
Badge +24
No mention of ransomware attack on City of Atlanta?  Has had them crippled for the better part of a week.