Webroot's 2015 Threat Brief is out - get it while it's hot!

Userlevel 7
Badge +56
  • Retired Webrooter
  • 6752 replies
 Full PDF brief here.

12 replies

Userlevel 7
Thank you!
Badge +2
Thank you so much!
Thanks for the info.
Userlevel 3
Badge +4
Great info!
Userlevel 7
I got it....Interesting read! 🙂
Userlevel 1
Wow, I can't believe the US is that high for Malicious IPs! I don't know what's going on with this country of ours but I sure pray it stops. We're undermining ourselves for goodness sake! You'd expect it from other countries but our own? Unbelievable... thank you so much for putting this Threat Brief 2015 in our hands and all the endless work that Webroot has put into keeping us safe.
Sincerly & Thank you,
Doc13
I tried to receive a free financial booklet and I was blocked.  I know it was not malicious information that I was trying to receive.  Is there anything I can do about this?
I'm actually not surprised by the very high number of "snakes in the grass" coming from the US.  As I see it there are 2 big problems: 
a) our entire economic system is based on getting as much as you can out of the 99 percenters (let's call them "99rs") who try to make a living and get by. This leads the big (and small) corporations to rape anyone they can, any way they can.  They literally have millions of people dreaming up ways to charge the 99rs more for what they were getting just a few months ago.  This leads to a moral decay as a good part of the 99rs has no choice but to devote their time to: either fighting the Big Ones, or to cheat their fellow 99rs.  It's a vicious circle.  The 99rs cant beat the Big Ones so more and more of their time is spent on the second alternative. 
b) the second problem is that because of our open door immigration policy, we let in some of the most brilliant minds of the 21st Century.  But most of them (I'm gessing over 80%) don't want to do menial work and channel their energies to creating systems that will try to cheat the Big Ones, so that they can jump into the 1%.  When that doesn't work (and it usually can't), they re-channel their energies to screwing their fellow 99rs, as well as the rest of the world. 

Thus either way, the 99rs can't win and are driven into an economic abyss. Welcome!
Userlevel 7
Hi dj_046

Welcome to the Community Forums.

Would you be able to explain as to how the download that you were trying to do was blocked?  Were there any messages displayed, if so where & what was the information in the message?

Any information on this, including the url (suitably adjusted so that it is not 'active') will be helpful to us in trying to help you with the issue.

Many thanks, Baldrick
Userlevel 7
@ wrote:
I'm actually not surprised by the very high number of "snakes in the grass" coming from the US.  As I see it there are 2 big problems: 
a) our entire economic system is based on getting as much as you can out of the 99 percenters (let's call them "99rs") who try to make a living and get by. This leads the big (and small) corporations to rape anyone they can, any way they can.  They literally have millions of people dreaming up ways to charge the 99rs more for what they were getting just a few months ago.  This leads to a moral decay as a good part of the 99rs has no choice but to devote their time to: either fighting the Big Ones, or to cheat their fellow 99rs.  It's a vicious circle.  The 99rs cant beat the Big Ones so more and more of their time is spent on the second alternative. 
b) the second problem is that because of our open door immigration policy, we let in some of the most brilliant minds of the 21st Century.  But most of them (I'm gessing over 80%) don't want to do menial work and channel their energies to creating systems that will try to cheat the Big Ones, so that they can jump into the 1%.  When that doesn't work (and it usually can't), they re-channel their energies to screwing their fellow 99rs, as well as the rest of the world. 

Thus either way, the 99rs can't win and are driven into an economic abyss. Welcome!
Hi prowalt

Welcome to the Community Forums.

A very dystopian view of things, and quite depressing...but I have to say that in some respects I agree with you.  But then again it has always been much akin to what yo are saying even if the view is somewhat extreme IMHO. ;)

Baldrick
Interesting theory, but I suspect that internet fraud is NOT perpetrated by corporations, or the '1%ers' but rather by young, smart, bored, techies with nothing better to do than create mischie and bolster their ego by proving how smart they are..  Also there are those others who try to scan the system simply because they have a criminal mindset and realize that the internet provides a perfect environment for them to steal a little from a lot of people. The 1%ers, as you call them, do not need to engage in what amounts to electronic vandalism.  They make their money from the status quo. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +56
It's interesting - these criminal enterprises are actually growing up and moving out of the basement.  A lot of them are no longer one person shops, and are instead full organizations with CMOs and everything.