Webroot Weekly Highlights - 6/1/2018

• 1 June 2018
  • 1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +36
This is a weekly highlight of the best articles and news going on in the Community.

See any stories that catch your interest? What would you like to see in the future? Let us know in the comments below!

Europol Creates Dark Web Investigations Team

The European Union’s law enforcement agency today announced the creation of a dedicated team that will be investigating activity across the dark web.

The newly established Dark Web Investigations Team, embedded within Europol’s European Cybercrime Centre (EC3), is the result of a Europol initiative “to create a coordinated law enforcement approach to tackle crime on the dark web.”

The dedicated team will have participation from EU law enforcement agencies, operational third parties, and other relevant partners.

See the full article here.

2018 Fraud World Cup

There are only two weeks to go before the start of the massive soccer event — FIFA World Cup. This championship has already attracted the attention of millions worldwide, including a fair few cybercriminals. Long before kick-off, email accounts began bulging with soccer-related spam, and scammers started exploiting the topic in mailings and creating World Cup-themed phishing pages.

Our statistics show spikes in the number of phishing pages during match ticket sales. Every time tickets went on sale, fraudsters mailed out spam and activated clones of official FIFA pages and sites offering fake giveaways allegedly from partner companies. But as the event draws nearer, cyber scams are reaching fever pitch. We present our observations below.

See the full article here.

Seven useful macOS tricks you might not know

• Universal Copy Paste - In iOS 10 and macOS Sierra, Apple introduced a universal copy paste feature. On devices where you're signed into your iCloud account, if you copy something on one device, you can paste it to another. So if you copy something on your iPhone, for example, you can swap over to your Mac to paste it.

• Menu Bar - If you hold down the Command key, you can use your mouse or trackpad to rearrange the icons of the menu bar at the top of your screen.

• Dragging Text - You can highlight text on your Mac and then hold down with the trackpad or a mouse to drag that text into another app. If you drag text to the desktop, it'll create a new text clip document.

• Split Screen - To quickly access the split-screen multitasking mode on your Mac, click and hold the mouse cursor over the green button in the upper left hand corner of any app window.

• Emoji - To insert an emoji into any document or message, hold down the Control and Command keys and then press the space bar to bring up an emoji menu interface where you can choose an emoji.

• Picture-in-Picture - When you watch a video on your Mac, like the YouTube video above, click on the Picture-in-Picture button that's in the bottom right of the video player (it looks like an arrow pointing at a separate screen). If there's no Picture-in-Picture button, you can hold down Control and then double-click inside the video to open up a shortcut menu. From there, you'll have a separate video window that can be moved and resized.

• Signing Documents - When viewing a PDF or document in an app like Preview, there are tools for inserting a signature. You can create a signature using a finger on the trackpad of your Mac, which is a handy way to sign digital documents.

New malware from this past week

We've seen a few new threats arise over this past week, here's a look at what's on the horizon of cyber security threats:

See what people have been saying about us

• "Webroot works quietly in the background and protects our computers. We are very glad we purchased this product."
  • "Amazing product. Easy to deploy and works like a dream."
  • "WSA is the fastest AV i have ever used. Uses no CPU or RAM and i never notice when its scanning my PC daily. Its an AntiVirus software i can trust."

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +25
Thanks again for a great collection of stuff. And as an ex-Apple employee, I even learned a new Mac trick here, the split screen. I have never done that. Thanks.