Webroot Weekly Highlights - 8/10/2018

• 10 August 2018
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +36
This is a weekly highlight of the best articles and news going on in the Community.

See any stories that catch your interest? What would you like to see in the future? Let us know in the comments below!

New Community Database: Malware Manifesto

What is it? This is meant to be an encyclopedia resource for any threat that shows up around the web. If you hear about a new kind of malware, our goal is to have Webroot's take on it. Do bear in mind that our perspective for each threat is being gradually rolled out. In the meantime, we've sourced some great articles from other threat researchers.

See the full article here.

Join the WiFi Security Beta!

Webroot is introducing a new product to our award-winning lineup of security products: Webroot WiFi Security. As a virtual private network (VPN) app, Webroot WiFi Security will help protect users on any device or network, especially unsecured public WiFi.

Like all our products, this latest addition to the Webroot family will include advanced Webroot BrightCloud® Threat Intelligence to provide the most robust VPN service on the market and the most comprehensive, up-to-the-minute protection for our customers.

See the full article here.

Snapchat Source Code Leaked

Hackers obtained some source code for the popular messaging application Snapchat and made it public on GitHub, claiming that they were ignored by the app’s developer.

The source code appears to be for the frontend of Snapchat for iOS. The company behind Snapchat, Snap Inc., has confirmed that the code is genuine by getting GitHub to remove it using a DMCA (Digital Millennium Copyright Act) request.

See the full article here.

The FBI warns about compromised IoT devices

The FBI is instructing users on how to recognize when their IoT devices have been compromised and advising them on how to keep them secure.

“Compromised devices may be difficult to detect but some potential indicators include: a major spike in monthly Internet usage; a larger than usual Internet bill; devices become slow or inoperable; unusual outgoing Domain Name Service queries and outgoing traffic; or home or business Internet connections running slow,” the Bureau shared in a public service announcement.

Full Article.

See what people have been saying about us

• "I've been a Webroot user for a lot of years. Never many problems. On the rare occasion that there is a problem, Webroot has always been there for me. I plan to stay with Webroot as long as there is a need to."
  • "I've been useing this company for over 11years. Everything great without worry! I will proudly recommend to anyone needed!"
  • "Webroot's automatic scans and immediate blocking of any virus attempts have served me without fail since installation. I am completely confident in Webroot. I recommend it to everybody."

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +25
Thanks again for some great news. The IoT story was of particular interest as I have way too many IoT devices. I plan to do some more testing on all of them. I think my router solves that issue, but you never knows. 

As a side note, on the last challenge about White Hat hackers, I would like to know why my original comment was deleted? There was nothing in that post (other than to indicate that I have been a White Hat for a long time and the origin of the term Hacker) that should have caused it to be removed. So I have to object to having our posts removed because the author might not like the content. Care to comment please? 

Thanks
Userlevel 7
Badge +36
@ wrote:
Thanks again for some great news. The IoT story was of particular interest as I have way too many IoT devices. I plan to do some more testing on all of them. I think my router solves that issue, but you never knows. 

As a side note, on the last challenge about White Hat hackers, I would like to know why my original comment was deleted? There was nothing in that post (other than to indicate that I have been a White Hat for a long time and the origin of the term Hacker) that should have caused it to be removed. So I have to object to having our posts removed because the author might not like the content. Care to comment please? 

Thanks
Have a link to the thread by chance? It could've been eaten by the spam filter, but I need to know where to look.
Userlevel 7
Badge +25
@ wrote:
Have a link to the thread by chance? It could've been eaten by the spam filter, but I need to know where to look.
Hi, 

It was in the blog actually. https://www.webroot.com/blog/2018/08/06/between-two-worlds-an-interview-with-reverse-engineer-eric-klonowski/

I had posted a rather long answer, and then a quick follow up, and the follow up is there, but the original one is not. Was just curious what happened. If I did something inappropirate, so be it, but was just surprised it disappeared without notice. 

Thank you.
Userlevel 7
Badge +36
@ wrote:
@ wrote:
Hi, 

It was in the blog actually. https://www.webroot.com/blog/2018/08/06/between-two-worlds-an-interview-with-reverse-engineer-eric-klonowski/

I had posted a rather long answer, and then a quick follow up, and the follow up is there, but the original one is not. Was just curious what happened. If I did something inappropirate, so be it, but was just surprised it disappeared without notice. 

Thank you.
Let me reach out and ask about this as I don't personally manage the Blog, I'll get back to you soon.
Userlevel 7
Badge +36
So your comment was not deleted, it was hidden due to the "sort by" function on the comments being set to "top". If you sort by "newest" or "oldest" it shows up, this is a functionality of the Facebook plugin, however your comment is certainly still there. Thank you for posting as well!