Sticky News

Welcome to the new Webroot Community!

Show first post

69 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +33
MajorHavoc wrote:

Nice new look, but like anything new, it will take some time to get used to its little issues. For one thing, it has a LOT of empty or wasted space, and sadly, I do not like the mobile version at all.

And where did the Beta forum go?

And I used to be listed as a "Community Guide", and now I am listed as a Popular Voice. What changed?

Speed bumps I hope.

Looks like you're a Community Guide currently, is that what you're seeing as well?

I'll have news on the Beta forum hopefully today.
Muddy7 wrote:

Another apparent little bug to be ironed out (unless I am missing something?): after posting I can go on to edit my post but then, I can find no way to post what I have edited!

I'm stumped! How does one post an edit? It seems some others have cracked this. I haven't.

Help!
Userlevel 7
Badge +54
Muddy7 wrote:

Muddy7 wrote:

Another apparent little bug to be ironed out (unless I am missing something?): after posting I can go on to edit my post but then, I can find no way to post what I have edited!

I'm stumped! How does one post an edit? It seems some others have cracked this. I haven't.

Help!

It could be the Browser or one of the Browser add-ons, so try a different Browser and or disable some add-ons that could affect this site as i see no issue. EDIT added 😛
TripleHelix wrote:

Muddy7 wrote:

Muddy7 wrote:

Help!

It could be the Browser or one of the Browser add-ons, so try a different Browser and or disable some add-ons that could affect this site as i see no issue. EDIT added 😛

Thanks, Daniel. It was, i.e. one of the browser add-ons. That's the difference between an IT-minded person (you) and a non-IT-minded person (me ☹).

I'm using Firefox and it was the Bookmark search plus 2 add-on that was interfering with the Save button in the inSided edit window.

Don't get me wrong, Bookmark search plus 2 is a brilliant add-on (indeed essential imo) but yes, it does interfere in the way I've just described. Solution=simple: temporarily disable it whenever I need to edit a Webroot Community post.

Problem solved! Thanks a dozen for the tip!!
Well, I find very little to agree with with @locomotive , but here's one thing I do agree with him about: I find it very bizarre indeed when posters decide to like their own posts. Maybe I'm just plain old-fashioned—for example, I've never been able to get used to the strange, modern habit of people deciding to applaud themselves. Same principle.

Oh well, there you go! Each person to their own... Live and let live.
Userlevel 7
Muddy7 wrote:

I find it very bizarre indeed when posters decide to like their own posts. Maybe I'm just plain old-fashioned—for example, I've never been able to get used to the strange, modern habit of people deciding to applaud themselves. Same principle.

Totally Agree.
ProTruckDriver wrote:

Muddy7 wrote:

I find it very bizarre indeed when posters decide to like their own posts. Maybe I'm just plain old-fashioned—for example, I've never been able to get used to the strange, modern habit of people deciding to applaud themselves. Same principle.

Totally Agree.

But you've done it, PTD: for example, here, here and here 😕!?!
Userlevel 7
Muddy7 wrote:

ProTruckDriver wrote:

Muddy7 wrote:

Totally Agree.

But you've done it, PTD: for example, here, here and here 😕!?!

I knew someone would ask that question. LOL I answered that question in one of the closed forums. I'll answer it here now. I and many more don't like the "Like Your Own Post" option. I feel as you do about it. This last weekend I was going through some very old posts when Webroot started the forum to look at the "Good Old Days" and to bring back memories. While going through the posts I thought what the heck, start Liking my own posts because that is the option on this forum now. You can look at the Leaderboard on my likes. I also wanted to prove how liking your own posts can be abused. The next day I signed onto the forum and looked at the Leaderboard and thought to myself, what do I have a "Narcissistic Personality Disorder"? I guess Webroot feels fine with the "Like Your Own Post" feature. I believe it is a Joke. What would be even a bigger Joke is if these "Likes" went toward your advancement in rank on the forum. I will never ever "Like" my own post on this forum again. I hope that answer's the question Muddy.

Dave
ProTruckDriver wrote:

I hope that answer's the question Muddy.

Certainly does! Thanks for the explanation, Dave!

Btw, in case it is of interest to you, @bjm_ has informed me you can 'unlike' your 'like' by clicking a second time on the 'like'.
Knowledge Base articles coming back ?
Userlevel 5
Badge +19
I like the new design and find it easier to use. However, I agree with @Muddy7 that the notifications section should be added back in. They only way for us to know if there has been activity on a thread is if we receive an email. I don't know about you, but spam filters tend to catch a lot emails like that whether you tell them to or not. I saw a post just yesterday where a community user mentioned only receiving email for a later post not an earlier post, so they didn't know to respond. You might find your community less active without the notification section letting us know what's new on our subscribed threads. what badges we've earned, and so on. Otherwise, great job!
Muddy7 wrote:

I'm using Firefox and it was the Bookmark search plus 2 add-on that was interfering with the Save button in the inSided edit window.

Turned out to be a bit more complicated than that.

Turns out I don't need to disable Bookmark search plus 2. The presence of either the FF native bookmarks or the Bookmarks search plus 2 or the History in the left-hand pane makes the Save button in the inSided edit window invisible. If none of them are there, it is visible.

This (strange) behaviour is on my Windows 7 laptop. I haven't yet tested on my other two devices.

I also agree with @NicCrockett. I am coming to like this new platform for the Community Forum more and more. Perhaps not as many features (though I miss the Notification Feed page, which I mentioned in an earlier post and which @NicCrockett refers to in agreement) but I like the simple and basic approach, and also the clean layout.
Userlevel 5
Badge +19
Just an idea, but on the My Profile page where you have Activity, Followers, Following. Add another section for Notifications that:
  1. Lists the threads that have had replies to them since you last visited them.
  2. Include threads where you've had a comment liked.
  3. Include threads where you've been mentioned.
  4. List badges you've been awarded.
  5. List private messages received.
I would suggest either clearing a notification after it's been clicked or giving the user the ability to clear notifications. You could also make it a chronological list with the unread notifications at the top. If you give the user the option to clear notifications or make it a chronological list, I suggest you bold the unread notifications.

Hope that helps improve the community forum!
Userlevel 7
Badge +33
We can put in a request for what you are describing, however the current standing is however inSided has designed it. We control very little when it comes to features as mentioned above.
Userlevel 7
Badge +44
bjm_ wrote:

Yes, the KB articles are on the site but we are working to make accessing them much easier.
Userlevel 5
Badge +19
LLiddell wrote:

We can put in a request for what you are describing, however the current standing is however inSided has designed it. We control very little when it comes to features as mentioned above.

It would great to add a feature like what I suggested. However, I understand if it isn't possible. I develop user interfaces and sites, so I understand that some features just aren't possible to get into the design. Especially if someone else is the designer, and it sounds like someone else is behind the design. Not that you don't have input, but you have to pay the bill for them to make changes. Those bills usually aren't cheap either. Good luck, and if you need any suggestions, feel free to message me.
Userlevel 7
Badge +33
NicCrockett wrote:

LLiddell wrote:

It would great to add a feature like what I suggested. However, I understand if it isn't possible. I develop user interfaces and sites, so I understand that some features just aren't possible to get into the design. Especially if someone else is the designer, and it sounds like someone else is behind the design. Not that you don't have input, but you have to pay the bill for them to make changes. Those bills usually aren't cheap either. Good luck, and if you need any suggestions, feel free to message me.

I do really appreciate the insight though, and it is possible to use the email notification in lieu of a dedicated notification page. As for now that is the method we are using, along with subscribing to sections of the Community you find to be most valuable.
freydrew wrote:

bjm_ wrote:

Yes, the KB articles are on the site but we are working to make accessing them much easier.

Um, do you have page link so I can bookmark.
Userlevel 7
Badge +33
They're kind of scattered, we're working to bring them all into one section so it makes more sense. Should look similar to the Malware Manifesto part of the site, basically all of them will have one home and we will provide a breakdown of different products so it's easier to hunt them down within that new home.
LLiddell wrote:

They're kind of scattered, we're working to bring them all into one section so it makes more sense.

Oh, okay.
Work-In-Progress.
Thanks
Userlevel 6
Badge +16
LLiddell wrote:

NicCrockett wrote:

LLiddell wrote:

I do really appreciate the insight though, and it is possible to use the email notification in lieu of a dedicated notification page. As for now that is the method we are using, along with subscribing to sections of the Community you find to be most valuable.

I will add a plus 1 for NicCrocket's alert notification idea as their are days where I see way too many alerts in my inbox, which is already flooded with emails anyway. I appreciate you passing on the request.

But I'll add one more: Alerts on some schedule (like 30 minutes, hourly, daily, etc) so that a number of them are put together as a list into a single email. At least that could cut down the number of emails.

Thanks
Userlevel 5
Badge +19
@MajorHavoc's idea of timing and combining alerts is also a good idea. I'll +1 that.

Side note, I find it funny that we're using terminology that was started by a social network that is getting ready to be killed. RIP Google+. A little IT humor for hump day. 😁
Userlevel 6
Badge +16
LLiddell wrote:

MajorHavoc wrote:

Nice new look, but like anything new, it will take some time to get used to its little issues. For one thing, it has a LOT of empty or wasted space, and sadly, I do not like the mobile version at all.

And where did the Beta forum go?

And I used to be listed as a "Community Guide", and now I am listed as a Popular Voice. What changed?

Speed bumps I hope.

Looks like you're a Community Guide currently, is that what you're seeing as well?

I'll have news on the Beta forum hopefully today.

Yep. pay no attention to me, I confused the two boards. 🙂
Userlevel 5
Badge +19
It's best that you did, considering the other is a security risk. I'd hate for you to get hacked. 😯
Userlevel 6
Badge +16
NicCrockett wrote:

It's best that you did, considering the other is a security risk. I'd hate for you to get hacked. 😯

Wait, what? Get hacked where? Did I miss a meeting?

Cookie policy

We use cookies to enhance and personalize your experience. If you accept or continue browsing you agree to our cookie policy. Learn more about our cookies.

Accept cookies Cookie settings