World Backup Day

Why World Backup Day is a Seriously Good Idea

• 18 March 2020
  • 6 replies
Why World Backup Day is a Seriously Good Idea
Userlevel 7
Badge +48

The internet has enabled a whole host of silly holidays—from “What if Cats and Dogs had Opposable Thumbs Day” to “Bathtub Party Day.” And the list goes on.

But World Backup Day isn’t one of them.

It began when a few concerned internet users decided to establish March 31—April Fool’s Eve—as "a day for people to learn about the increasing role of data in our lives and the importance of regular backups."

Given that increasing importance, the founders argue, it’s more important than ever that businesses and individuals alike take a moment to imagine what would be lost if all our stored digital data were to up and vanish—or be held for an exorbitant ransom by cybercriminals. It could mean irreplaceable photos of childhoods, vacations, and other life milestones that are lost forever. It could mean an insurmountable challenge to a startup business if mission-critical data is deleted.

Because whereas once lost data was the result of failed hard drives or crashed computers, today’s cybercriminals recognize the inherent value of data. They’re out to steal it. They know they can make money by temporarily locking us out it.

World Backup Day is how we can fight back. That’s why we’re happy that so many Webroot users and advocates have committed to taking the pledge:

“I solemnly swear to back up my important documents and precious memories on March 31st.”

Here’s a sample of what some, many of the IT industry professionals, had to say about participating in World Backup Day:

"To me, every day is Backup day!" -David

"I'll be celebrating World Backup Day by staying up late and in real-time watch our backups complete successfully." -Marco

"World Backup Day is bigger than Christmas in our office." -Ashley

"I'm taking the pledge. Customers rely on us to be there when things go wrong." -Daniel

"...I'll ensure the company's data is safe. It's more than a pledge, it's my career." -Bill

So are you ready to take the pledge? Let us know in the comments below!

6 replies

Backup is the bottom line of my cybersecurity policy. I (fortunately) have multiple means of backup, all active. As I hope we all have.

Very important! Not to have a backup policy is suicidal :frowning2: .

Userlevel 7

Multiple backups here too. Time Machine once every hour, iCloud backs up automatically when something (files) are added and SuperDuper backup / Bootable Clone of the Mac. :relaxed:

Userlevel 7
Badge +48

Figures that @Muddy7 and @ProTruckDriver are following best practices. ;) 

You wouldn't believe how many people don’t even think about backing up their computer. Madness. 

Figures that @Muddy7 and @ProTruckDriver are following best practices. ;) 

You wouldn't believe how many people don’t even think about backing up their computer. Madness. 

I remember my wake-up call. I had a language school here in Belgium (now down to a one-man act as I am almost completely retired). I had a flaky backup routine (can’t even remember how it worked it’s so long ago) that only went back something like 14 days.

My database of my students became corrupted. I only noticed this about ten days later. I was able to restore from an earlier date. But I had to restore from my earliest backup that was only three days prior to the database fatally corrupting !?!?!?! (That corruption only became evident later) I basically was three days backup away from losing ALL of the data on something like two-thirds of my students. This means that if I had detected this corruption just 3 days later, I would have irretrievably lost the data on two-thirds of my students. That would have been catastrophic.

I was shaken! Since then, I have become paranoid about having as foolproof a backup system as I possibly can. Not nearly as important now as it was then when I had a language school. But habits happily persist.

Userlevel 7
Badge +48

That would have shaken anyone up. That’s crazy! 

Being paranoid about something like that isn’t a bad thing. Sounds like you learned your lesson and have a great habit. :muscle:

Sounds like you learned your lesson

I certainly did 😮 !