Facebook says users no longer have a say in its privacy rules

Userlevel 7
Badge +55
"SOCIAL NETWORK Facebook announced today that it will no longer let users have a say in its privacy policies.
Facebook revealed on Thursday that it will reverse its 2009 policy that let users vote on its privacy rules, blaming the move on the low quality of the comments that it often received.
Facebook communications chief Elliot Schrage wrote, "We deeply value the feedback we receive from you during our comment period but have found that the voting mechanism created a system that incentivised quantity of comments over the quality of them."

Full Article TH

7 replies

Userlevel 7
I find alot of facebook's practices appalling,especially this.I deleted my account years ago.Will never return.Also warned my wife about all things facebook on more than 1 occasion.Told her that if she gets another pc nuked due to facebook(she nuked a norton protected HPmachine awhile back),not to come running to me to clean it up.It's alarming that your own facebook account doesn't have to be compromised to confront issues..such as some of her family members had their accounts compromised and my wife had obviously phony links placed on her wall from them.All it takes is 1 click and bang.I think facebook should be avoided like the plague if at all possible.There are better and safer ways to communicate on the net.Doesn't have to be facebook.Unfortunately privacy has gone out the window pretty much in all walks of life.I hear a ticking time bomb coming privacywise.Things could get real ugly.
Userlevel 7
Badge +55
Even to this day I never had an account with Facebook or even Twitter.

TH
Userlevel 7

@TripleHelix wrote:
Even to this day I never had an account with Facebook or even Twitter.

TH

I second that. I don't Tweet or Facebook, never did. 😉
Userlevel 7

@superssjdan wrote:
Also warned my wife about all things facebook on more than 1 occasion.

Looks like I'm not the only one with this problem. It's like talking to myself.  LOL

Userlevel 7
I hear that.I remember 1 incident in particular where her sis supposedly posted a link of my wife..umm...dancing.Told my wife to use her common sense.I had my facebook account for all of a few days awhile back.My wife actually created it.I was livid at the fact she did that.I gave up fighting over facebook.All i can do is educate her about all the possible avenues of attack and why your choice of an a/v solution is CRITICAL to minimize the risk.
Userlevel 5
I hear they're now having a vote on whether users should vote on policy changes. Crazy huh?
Userlevel 7
Companies like Facebook and Google are growing way too big and greedy for their own good.It's unfortuntate their corporate greed drives them to cull information about you and sell it to advertisers.There is so much both companies do that teeter on the edge of legality.Neither company could really care less about you or your privacy.It's all about the almighty dollar.Plain and simple.

Cookie policy

We use cookies to enhance and personalize your experience. If you accept or continue browsing you agree to our cookie policy. Learn more about our cookies.

Accept cookies Cookie settings