Luas data ransom: the hacker who cried wolf?

Userlevel 7
Badge +48
January 11th 2019, By Christopher Boyd

In a terrible start to the year for Irish tram firm Luas, their site was compromised a week ago and adorned with a stark ransom warning:

You are hacked. Some time ago I wrote that you have serious security holes.You didn’t reply.The next time someone talks to you, press the reply button.You must pay one bitcoin in five days. Otherwise I will publish all data and send emails to your users.

The message came with a Bitcoin address, and the defacement was quickly taken down.

Real threat or a blast of bluster?

Many observers questioned the legitimacy of this ransom threat. One Bitcoin is currently around 3,100 Euros. Luas aren’t exactly short of cash, so it wouldn’t be an issue for them to pay (not that we’d advise it). The general feeling was that either 3,100 Euros was a large sum of money to the attacker, or they just wanted the company to address the problem facing them without fuss.

As soon as the hack was announced, nervous customers wondered exactly what might be dumped into the ether should the ransom go unpaid. Names and addresses? Emails? Perhaps even payment data? However, this is where the hacker’s version of events starts to unravel. I’m not personally familiar with the website in question, and it’s currently still down, so I looked on Internet Archive.

Full Article.

0 replies

Be the first to reply!

Cookie policy

We use cookies to enhance and personalize your experience. If you accept or continue browsing you agree to our cookie policy. Learn more about our cookies.

Accept cookies Cookie settings