Malware analysts tell crooks to shape up and write decent code

Userlevel 7
By Darren Pauli, 10 Oct 2014

Blackhats beware: reverse engineers are laughing at your buggy advanced persistent threat (APT) malware.
You've done pretty well though: your custom payloads were effective at breaking into enterprises and the damage it did was quite devastating.

But many were being found and added to anti-malware signatures all too quickly.
Take a tip from the enemy, FireEye reverse engineer Richard Wartell, who while dressed in a 'dog scientist' lab coat laughed at your mistakes at a gathering of security professionals in Washington.

The Register/ Article/ http://www.theregister.co.uk/2014/10/10/writing_better_malware_with_fireeye/

1 reply

Userlevel 7
I am not so sure this was a bright idea.  Sure, they did give credit to the hackers for some devastating results, but laughing at the code they wrote to do it?  I would tend to think that would have the undesired effect of the hacker codes being much better written, harder to detect, etc.  After all, throwing out a challenge is, I think, likely to be met with a response.

Cookie policy

We use cookies to enhance and personalize your experience. If you accept or continue browsing you agree to our cookie policy. Learn more about our cookies.

Accept cookies Cookie settings