Security researcher cracks Google's Widevine DRM (L3 only)

Userlevel 7
Badge +48
Widevine hack is clever, but it won't spur any waves of Netflix piracy any time soon.

January 3rd 2019, By Catalin Cimpanu

A British security researcher has cracked the L3 protection level of Google's Widevine digital rights management (DRM) technology. The hack can allow the researcher to decrypt content transferred via DRM-protected multimedia streams.
 While "cracking Google's DRM" sounds very cool, the hack isn't likely to fuel a massive piracy wave. The reason is that the hack works only against Widevine L3 streams, and not L2 and L1, which are the ones that carry high-quality audio and video data.

Any user who cracks a Widevine L3 stream would only gain access to grainy low-quality video and lo-fi audio.

Full Article.

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +25
Always hated this because those that need to use custom ROMs and use root can't use netflix. Major reason I ended my sub with them. I need to use adblockers to keep data usage down and battery drain down.

Widevine makes it so these devs can cut off access and a lot of them are doing it, and services that do won't get mine or a lot of people's money.

Cookie policy

We use cookies to enhance and personalize your experience. If you accept or continue browsing you agree to our cookie policy. Learn more about our cookies.

Accept cookies Cookie settings