Complete

Add 'Update/Upgrade' functionality to Agent Command Menu

Userlevel 6
Badge +24
  • Community Guide
  • 119 replies
I know that agents should automatically upgrade when they check in.  I know there is a procedure for manually upgrading a client by pasting a URL into the 'download and run a file' command.

However, it would be nice to combine those two into a single function.  Although not often, I do have occasion to manually upgrade a client machine.  It would be handy if that was included in the agent commands context menu.  

Thanks!

This topic has been closed for comments

15 replies

Personally, I can't believe that this wasn't included in the list of commands from the very beginning.  While I love the fact that the agents update themselves, sometimes it takes quite a while for this to happen, and I'd LOVE to be able to force the update.  Thanks for posting this feature request.  I'll be sharing it with others, in the hopes of getting more votes for it.
Wheres the Voting section, want to put in a yes vote for this...

Userlevel 6
Badge +24
 @Deertech-Dan - Just hit the Kudos (thumbs-up).  That gives it an up-vote.
Great idea..   Hope they get it done...  
Great idea.  Please make this happen.
Userlevel 6
Badge +24
Requested this some time ago.
Userlevel 6
Badge +24
@DTMT - Hopefully it will gain some traction.  I appreciate the upvote!  Currently, it isnt "difficult" to update multiple clients (multi-select, agent commands, paste, OK), but I'd prefer a multi-select "update/upgrade" agent.  It's a nice-to-have feature.

Since updates are NOT always automated, particularly on Macs, this is an important feature to add just to improve reliability.
Speaking of Macs, this URL is used for Windows PCs:
http://anywhere.webrootcloudav.com/zerol/wsasme.exe

What is the appropriate URL for Macs?
Userlevel 7
Badge +31
Although not explicity called out in the system tray menu, 'Refresh Configuration' performs this action as part of its functionality

Please let our support team know if this is not working for you

Jonathan

Userlevel 7
Badge +31
Jonathan,

I am a managed services provider.  I don't want to access each client's desktop to perform this action.  I want to be able to perform it from the Console - where it belongs!
Userlevel 6
Badge +24
Jonathan,

Not only do I agree with kahml (this should be a managed function, not a user-clicked function, this is a SysAdmin's job, not a user's), but further, I find a number of times where doing so doesn't always get the desired results.  I've even mass-scripted the -poll command and find that sometimes, it just doesn't respond on some clients.  I modified the policy for example for one machine yesterday, and polled ten times over 5-10 minutes, manually from the system; zip, zilch, nada.

I seriously want (from the GSM mind you) a "steamroller" command. An "I-don't-care-whether-you-think-you're-up-to-date-and-your-definitions-are-up-to-date-DO-WHAT-I-SAY-NOW" update/upgrade command. One that acts regardless of whether the client thinks its okay, in case it isn't.  Truthfully, I want it to be a "push" command, not a "pull" the next time an agent checks in, in case that agent isn't working fully.  I know this might require a lot of rework (like a background service that can respond to a push request), but it would be my ideal scenario, as nuclear as it seems.

An agent pulling commands from GSM means we're dependent on properly working agents.  Until I'm sure that agents are so reliable that pulling always works (I've found that to be spotty, with some agents just not doing it and having to remediate), I want some push commands, and as we've said, we're the admins.  It's up to us to resolve issues for people, preferably without interfering with their work and touching their systems, which also takes time out of our day to schedule, when we could mass-issue commands from behind the scenes, which is what remote administration is all about.  It's doubly important as an MSP, where I have a hundred clients to work on, not one big client that is myself and my corporation.
I'm with Jonathan on needing a command that will reinstall, update or repair the Agent. However I see it could be a problem with old Agents as they will not know of the command until they are brought up to date. It is also a problem as most of my problem agents no longer talk to the web console as 'there is not active internet connection' when there clearly is. I raised a feature request that suggested we have an option on the console to download an exe or msi for a specific agent that can be run locally on the client computer, that will only work for that computer and the selected agent and all it will do is reinstall the agent with the latest version. No need to go into safe mode and uninstall it from there.
Userlevel 7
Badge +35
We appreciate your suggestion and have taken it into consideration. We are working on several enhancements to agent commands. Once that update has been rolled out, we will look forward to hearing your thoughts on the new functionality. Thank you!

Cookie policy

We use cookies to enhance and personalize your experience. If you accept or continue browsing you agree to our cookie policy. Learn more about our cookies.

Accept cookies Cookie settings