Complete

Add UTC clock to WSA console and support interface

• 25 June 2013
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 7
The WSA console and your support interface uses UTC for time. However, the public is more used to 12hr format in their own timezone.

It's easy enough to figure this out, and you can apply the time offset in your head, but I think it would be useful to display the current time in UTC to the user. This should be in a small box somewhere in each interface. Perhaps in the console you only need it on the first page.

This will give users a bearing on their current orientation to UTC regardless of skill level.

I believe you should continue using UTC throughout your interfaces as trying to figuring out what timezone systems or reports are in always bugs me. This is especially important for those who travel frequently or use remote access VDI solutions that may be in a different timezone.

Also, yes, people could just run their own UTC clocks locally but I don't think that's a solution for the common person.

tl;dr time zones are evil and Webroot is right to use UTC but should make it simpler by putting in a UTC clock
http://www.monkeysushi.net/writing/rants/time%20zones.html

4 replies

Userlevel 7
This is an interesting topic to which there are likely to be some competing opinions. We'll keep an eye on this topic to see if it reaches a goal of 10 kudos, at which point we will consider the idea further. We're interested to see where this discussion goes and what others think about the idea. Thanks!
I don't care for the Time Zone selector either.  I am searching for a time zone for the British Islands or more specifically Diego Garcia.  Would see easy to find time zone using the standard windows time time selector showing the UTC offsets.
Userlevel 6
Badge +24
I don't think this is going to reach the 10 Kudos, but it sure would be nice to have - especially when looking at agent command logs & check in times.
Userlevel 7
Badge +35
Thank you for your suggestion, this has been closed due to a lack of kudos from other community members. Please feel free to start a discussion and submit a new feature request if there is additional interest from other members. Thank you!