Complete

Administrative Override on Local System

• 14 August 2012
  • 13 replies

Badge +5
I would love to see an administrative override on the local system to make changes and have them reflect back to the managed console on line.  For when I need to make quick changes on the fly.

13 replies

Userlevel 2
+1

Same here. In addition, we have over a dozen Point of Sale PCs at work that are now protected with WebRoot SecureAnywhere, but obviously are restricted from full web browsing. It's also unclear what the time period is for updates to propagate. Lastly, did I miss a way to push/pull config changes down to the endpoints?

Thanks for a great product.

Cheers.

Userlevel 7
DiverDude, I'd suggest changing your polling interval to whatever interval best suits your setup.  Policy updates can be set to be polled every 15 minutes.  The setting itself is a policy change setting.  You can also force a poll from a workstation by using the command-line switch, "-poll"

On my system for instance, that looks like "c:program fileswebrootwrsa.exe" -poll
Userlevel 2
Awesome.

I think the -poll at the command-line will help with most of our needs.

Thanks.

Cheers.

Userlevel 3
Hi all,

Is the polling function available from the "Refresh Configuration" menu option (displayed upon right-clicking the WSA icon in the notification area)? If not it could be useful to have that added as part of the refresh procedure, or perhaps an additional "Update Now" menu option?
I just feel that if I needed to get a user to pull the policy updates down it'd be far easier to get them to do this via a GUI rather than a command prompt :)

Kind regards,
Adam
Userlevel 7
Adam, actually yes, that works as well!  Good point!
Userlevel 7
Anyone who likes this idea is encouraged to continue giving it kudos. It's been addressed with product management. I'll update this thread as I start to hear back from them on the status of this request. 🙂
I just can confirm that our users liked the good old CRTL+ALT+P local admin login combination in the old WASCEAV product very much.
I would love to see this too. There are times that I'm working on a system and would like to have this functionality without haveing to log into the console. 
Badge +1
I agree totally - the ability to run administrative functions from the computer would be very helpful, I dont want ot have to login with the user hovering over me
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Dev sees this as a potential security risk - if the end user has this functionality then it could potentially be exploited by malware.  Prefered method is to log into the console to make changes.
Userlevel 7
Although I see the attractiveness in this, I agree with Nic. If you are needing to make local changes to client settings something is going wrong. You need to contact support.

Also, I highly, HIGHLY recommend you never login to the Webroot console on anything except your own machine. If you have to use something other than your machine, make a special account with very limited permissions. Using the Webroot console with full access is immensely powerful and can easily be used by an attacker to whitelist and deploy malware. It is really a nightmare if anyone were to ever get into it.
This would be very helpful
Userlevel 7
Badge +35
Dev sees this as a potential security risk - if the end user has this functionality then it could potentially be exploited by malware.  Prefered method is to log into the console to make changes.