New

Agent Version Push Command

Userlevel 6
Badge +19
I've got devices that aren't updating when new agent versions come out. A command to push the new agent or force a refresh of the software so it will download the new version of the agent would be useful. Honestly, a force refresh command from the console would be useful.

Sincerely,

7 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +4
I like this request and would like to see it too.
Your request reminds me of this one that is now closed: https://community.webroot.com/got-a-question-10/is-there-a-way-to-use-agents-commands-to-force-an-endpoint-to-update-to-the-latest-agent-version-212968

-Mike
Userlevel 6
Badge +19
That's useful information. However, it isn't very user friendly. I'm not going to remember that URL and they didn't include one for the Mac. They really should just have one command to update PCs and another to update Macs. I don't see why this would be so hard to add to the console. The instructions are already using a command in the console. All they should have to do is add two new commands that use that same command, but have the URLs built-in so we don't have to know them. Basically it just auto-runs the command using the appropriate URL.
Userlevel 4
Badge +4
NicCrockett wrote:

That's useful information. However, it isn't very user friendly. I'm not going to remember that URL and they didn't include one for the Mac. They really should just have one command to update PCs and another to update Macs. I don't see why this would be so hard to add to the console. The instructions are already using a command in the console. All they should have to do is add two new commands that use that same command, but have the URLs built-in so we don't have to know them. Basically it just auto-runs the command using the appropriate URL.

I agree Nic.

-Mike
Userlevel 4
Badge +4
@NicCrockett This command will work for Mac devices: http://anywhere.webrootcloudav.com/zerol/wsamacsme.dmg
I verified with Webroot support it is correct.
It's not the best solution, I agree, but it's what works for me for the time being.

-Mike
Userlevel 6
Badge +19
Thanks for the info @mjones. However, I gave up using the Mac version about a year ago. It caused issues for my user with key commands. This was fixable with a setting, but it kept turning itself back on. It also refused to hold the keycode for longer than 20-30 days. Re-entering it didn't fix it either. I had to completely uninstall, reinstall, and change all the settings back to where I needed them every time. After 2+ years of doing this, I just said forget it on the Mac. I was mainly suggesting that they add it for those who are using the Mac version. I may hate Apple, but plenty of people don't. 😉
Badge +2
Why this isn't already a feature baffles me. I found the article Mike shared, but that's from three years ago. How can Webroot think it's okay to not have an update command in their management console?
Userlevel 6
Badge +19
I agree with you @lkopari. However, I believe the reason that Webroot doesn't have it is for a few reasons. I'm taking a guess here, but this based on information I've gathered over the years.

1. They do a slow rollout, this way if there's an issue with a version they can stop it from getting installed on so many endpoints. This happened with version 9.0.24.37. Only half my endpoints got updated to that version before they stopped rolling it out after finding an issue. The issue didn't affect me, but because they pulled the rollout half my endpoints were stuck on 9.0.24.37 and the other half were on the previous version, 9.0.21.18. However, they didn't pull the new version down from the downloads page, so you couldn't download the previous version if you were having issues. FYI, they are supposedly coming out with a fixed version anytime now.
  2. The other reason could be a bandwidth issue. They may not want to overload their bandwidth connection every time a new version comes out due to every endpoint downloading the new version in a short period of time.
Even though these reasons are valid concerns, I think the commands should be added. There are times when things need to be done sooner then they have scheduled or they aren't happening and we need to force them to. I also believe they need to pull a bad download if the version is bad.

Cookie policy

We use cookies to enhance and personalize your experience. If you accept or continue browsing you agree to our cookie policy. Learn more about our cookies.

Accept cookies Cookie settings