Complete

Hiding keycode

• 9 May 2013
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 3
Hi
The keycode on the business endpoints is hidden by default which is good. However when I want to install WSA in a remote location outside of LAN to which I don't have access I need to install it via sending an email template to end user. The user can see the keycode because it is in the name of the file. Would it be possible to have a file not named with a keycode? And also is it possible to create an exec file that dissapears after installation? Just like adobe flash does? I don't want the end user to have access to this file and use it freely.

5 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +10
Hi,

Unfortunately there is not a solution to your issue exactly how you have described however there are a few things to take into consideration.
  • Once SecureAnywhere is installed with the default policy all of it's features will be locked down to your end users. They will not be able to change any settings or have any visibility on other company settings unless you grant them this access.
  • Even if they do copy your keycode and try use it to get free AV software you will have the power to uninstall these license remotely and also to bar any machines from future installations.In the Alerts section of your Webroot console you can set an alert to notify you whenever a new installation occurs. This will help you monitor all new Endpoints.
  • In remote environments such as the ones you have described we find admins usually use remote installation software such as LogMeIn or Teamviewer to connect to their User's machines and install it for them. This way the executable can be deleted after use.
  • There is a lot of ways to create a custom installer or to repackage the installer but a determined end user will usually be able to find the keycode.
Please let me know if you have any further queries.

Thanks!

Userlevel 7
Please take a look at Fred's response. The feature being requested may not be available, but there are quite a few ways available of getting around the potential hurdle you mentioned.
Userlevel 7
Your best bet is to encapsulate the installation EXE within a self-extracting 7zip archive that automatically runs the installer and deletes it once done. This won't stop anyone with intermediate skill in Windows but it will stop casual skimming of the keycode by those looking for a free ride on their home computer.

This is something I can give you notes on if you are still reading this. It's pretty simple.
Userlevel 4
Why not prepair an MSI with the keycode and just send that one to the user and have him doubble-click it?
I noticed this post about hiding the Webroot Endpoint Keycode and sharing the install file by email.  We have created a tool that allows Webroot Resellers to hide the keycode and distribute a link when the user can download the customer installation file.  I can be reached at 855-385-0610 x210 if you would like to know more about this tool.

Scott Provvidenza
IGI
Director of IT
www.igius.com