Complete

Migrating endpoints will result in running out of licence

• 4 December 2012
  • 7 replies

Userlevel 6
Hi,

I just went through on a situation when our customer's licences ran out simply because a migration from XP to Win7.
The problem is that in this case the endpoints got duplicated in the Console therefore a migrated endpoint took 2 licenes, so we got short of licences and could not protect migrated endpoints.

I suggest Webroot amend the online user guide with these interesting topics all admins should know and understand:

1- Moving endpoints to new subnet
2- Migration to new OS
3- Reinstallation of machines

All topics must explain what happens on the management console, in which cases endpoints will be duplicated and what is the suggested workaround in those cases.

BR,
Gyozo

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Great idea Gyozo! The user guide could use some updating, and these are great topics to include in it. We will bring this up with our technical writers.
Userlevel 6
Hello JimM,

I actaully forgot to ask a feature regarding this:
I believe if one deactivates an endpoint, he does this because he does not wish to protect that endpoint anymore, and yes, the endpoint is not goint to stay protected anymore. But the licence used by this endpiont is then not added to the available licences - I think it should be added. And when the admin moves back from the Deacticated enpoints gourp to any other group an endpoint, he should be able to do it if he still have enough licences not is use and this time the endpoint he moved back should reserve a licence from the pool.

What do you think? Can you develop this easy and convinient licence pool handling feature?

BR,
Gyozo
Userlevel 5
Hello Gyozo,
Yes you are correct that when deactivating an endpoint the license is then available for use on another PC. You may not see that immediately but it will after a few minutes. You will still be able to install on another PC without waiting for the license count to re-calculate.

Best practice is to deactivate a PC before it is reimaged or if any of the identifiers are going to change. This means if the OS or hard drive are going to change so will the identifiers so the PC will need to be deactivated first to avoid duplicate PC's in the console.

I am not clear what you mean by:
"And when the admin moves back from the Deacticated endpoints group to any other group an endpoint, he should be able to do it if he still have enough licenses not is use and this time the endpoint he moved back should reserve a license from the pool."

Can you please clarify?

Thanks Gyozo,
Shawn
Userlevel 7
The help documentation has just been updated to address all three topics. It isn't live yet, but it's on the way and the content has been written. We'll update again when it goes live. Thanks again for the suggestions!
Userlevel 7
Thanks for the suggestions Gyozo! There are new sections for all three situations in both versions of the help guide, available here and here.
Userlevel 7
Cool!
Userlevel 7
Badge +35
Implemented.