cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Community Manager

SOLVED: Issue for Mac users

The Issue:

On April 5, 2018, Webroot experienced an issue affecting some business and consumer customers using Webroot SecureAnywhere in Mac environments. Webroot incorrectly identified some Adobe and other software files as malware. Actual malicious files were identified and blocked as normal. 

The Solution:

The Webroot team is aware of this issue and has released a fix:  definition build 822.  Customers should confirm they are running this definition build, and can update Webroot on devices by right clicking on the Systems Tray. Do not quarantine any files until you’ve updated to definition build 822.

If you have already quarantined files, please do not restart the system or the Webroot agent. Restore the items from quarantine first, and then rescan after you have updated the definition build.

If you have just scanned your computer and have not yet quarantined any files, close the scan results screen. Then update and verify you are on definition build 822, and rescan.

We appreciate your patience and working with us in resolving this issue. For more information, please see our Knowledge Base article here

Community and Advocate Manager
New to the Community?
Get started with these tips.
27 REPLIES
Community Leader

Re: SOLVED: Issue for Mac users

So what happens if the user already has rebooted not knowing and the agent updates ?

Tell me this isn't another issue like the false positive one a while back. 

Community Guide

Highlighted
Popular Voice
Popular Voice

This is ....... less than helpful.

1. No mention of which Apps / files are incorrectly detected.
  2. Where do you find the build version? (turns out it is : Open the full app, WRSA > About .. > attached to the version number : Version 9.0.6.72: 821 ; nowhere labeled as such)
  3. Updating: On a Mac there is no 'System Tray' - it's called the Dock. There is no Webroot icon there unless you pinned it or it is running. Finally, right-clicking doesn't give you any options to update.
  4. Check for updates in the app reports it is up-to-date and doesn't increase the build number (guess: it is only checking for app updates).
  5. (on a side note: A (legit) app update on a Mac almost always triggers WR - the approval speed for mainstrean Apple apps updates needs to be faster.
--
New Voice

How can I push out webroot to all 300 macs from the panel?  And this is a nightmare it's shut down 3 marketing companies who suddenly had to stop working yesterday while Webroot was ripping out their day-to-day software.

This is now the second time in a year that Webroot's false positives have totally wrecked whole sections of my customer base.  The worst part is that I have no way to stop it...so I'm forced to sit there while 6 dozen tickets come in first the alerts from webroot then clients saying that their Adobe products have stopped working.

As of this morning I've had at least 30 requests for dispatch already to re-install adobe, none of it I can bill.

Administrator

@freydrew wrote:

The Issue:

On April 5, 2018, Webroot experienced an issue affecting some business and consumer customers using Webroot SecureAnywhere in Mac environments. Webroot incorrectly identified some Adobe and other software files as malware. Actual malicious files were identified and blocked as normal. 

The Solution:

The Webroot team is aware of this issue and has released a fix:  definition build 822.  Customers should confirm they are running this definition build, and can update Webroot on devices by right clicking on the Systems Tray. Do not quarantine any files until you’ve updated to definition build 822.

If you have already quarantined files, please do not restart the system or the Webroot agent. Restore the items from quarantine first, and then rescan after you have updated the definition build.

If you have just scanned your computer and have not yet quarantined any files, close the scan results screen. Then update and verify you are on definition build 822, and rescan.

We appreciate your patience and working with us in resolving this issue. For more information, please see our Knowledge Base article here

To add to this, if you are able to locally manage the affected system, refer to this link on how to remove the files from quarantine, assuming you are on build 822. If you are unsure about which build you are on, refer to the image below.

https://docs.webroot.com/us/en/home/wsa_mac_userguide/wsa_mac_userguide.htm#ManagingQuarantine/Manag...

definitionNumber.png

For anyone that is only able to manage through the GSM console (or only remotely), we are currently looking into a resolution and should have something here shortly.

If any users have Time Machine available on their Mac (local or remote), do note that it can reverse the quarantined files and restore them.

Bronze VIP

@LLiddell look for a PM from me!

Thanks,

Daniel

Daniel Bow.gif

EPA.giforiginal (6).png

original.png Microsoft® Windows Insider MVP - Windows Security beta_tester_transparent.png

Alienware 17R5 Laptop with the new i9-8950HK Processor Overclock-able to 5.0GHz - 2 Samsung 960 Pro PCIe NVMe M.2 512GB + 1 Samsung 860 Pro 512GB SSD's with 32GB of G.SKILL Ripjaws RAM and NVIDIA GTX 1080 GPU Overclocked. Windows 10 Pro for Workstations 1803 x64.

Community Leader

How do you update the build?  Shouldn't this be done automatically when the agent polls? 

If not, how do we force the update or direct users to update?

Community Guide

Administrator

@jhartnerd123 wrote:

How do you update the build?  Shouldn't this be done automatically when the agent polls? 

Run one or two scans locally on the machine to update the build.

To check the Def version:

It's available either via Taskbar > "About SecureAnywhere", or local GUI > My Account > "About SecureAnywhere". It should show it in the following manner: "Agent version: threat definition version"

Popular Voice
Popular Voice

@LLiddell wrote:

@jhartnerd123 wrote:

Run one or two scans locally on the machine to update the build.

Unless there are good reasons to not include the build in an "Check for Updates' please add that to the process. Making a user run two scans to get a build update does not make sense.

--
New Voice

@LLiddellsimply no sense...

I suggest an immediate to do:

1. put the definition in the "Agent Version" column in GSM (you don't manage 300 Mac like @trafalger1...)
  2. find an easy and immediate way to force the definition update for Mac agents from GSM
  3. put a button or a menu item to force the definition update in client GUI (2 scans for about 30 mins each in my Mac)

If you don't choose a correct path to solve this issue you declare that Webroot is a mediocre product with a mediocre developer team and a mediocre support service...

"We are determined to learn from this service issue experience, and build an even better Webroot." - Mike Malloy in Letter to Customers - May 19, 2017

:-/