The Weekly Webroot Digest: 10/6/17

• 6 October 2017
  • 2 replies

Userlevel 7
  • Retired Webrooter
  • 1376 replies
Welcome to the Weekly Webroot Digest!
#HappyFriday

This is a weekly series to highlight the best articles and news stories going on in the Community. 
What was your favorite story? What topics would you like to see? Sound off in the comments! :)

Improve your cyber awareness with tips for online safety

Welcome to National Cyber Security Awareness Month!

We'll be sharing tips to stay protected no matter where you connect for the entire month of October.
After all, in today’s connected world, safe and healthy habits go far beyond buckling your seatbelt

Get involved in the Conversation! Join @Webroot for a #CyberAware Twitter Chat on Safe Cyber Habits for Businesses and talk shop with Webroot CISO Gary Hayslip, October 24th from 11 a.m.-12 noon PT (2-3 p.m. ET).

Be proactive. Be prepared. Be #CyberAware.

USPS ‘Informed Delivery’ Is Stalker’s Dream
The U.S. Postal Service has launched free new service that provides scanned images of incoming mail before it is slated to arrive at its destination address.

According to the USPS, some 6.3 million accounts have been created via the service so far. The Postal Service says consumer feedback has been overwhelmingly positive, particularly among residents who travel regularly and wish to keep close tabs on any mail being delivered while they’re on the road.

A review of the methods used by the USPS to validate new account signups suggests the service is wide open to abuse by a range of parties, mainly because of weak authentication and because it is not easy to opt out of the service.

Krebs has the full story!

[i]

[/i]

Why You Should Protect Your Mac from Viruses
I've heard it more times across the Digital Space than I can count.
"I use a Mac, so I don't need any sort of Protection. Apple has it built-in."

These users need to keep in mind that within the last few years, there has been a noted uptick in spyware, adware, and potentially unwanted applications on both Mac and iOS devices.

Don't Get Hacked!

Learn the top security tips for safe browsing on a Mac!

[i]

[/i]

Dark-Web Drug Dealer Arrested After He Travelled US for World Beard Championships
United States authorities arrested suspected dark web drug kingpin late last month while he was traveling from his base in France to the United States of America for this year’s annual World Beard and Mustache Championships.

According to the Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA) affidavit filed in September, Gal Vallerius was an administrator, senior moderator, and vendor on Dream Market, an eBay-type marketplace for illegal narcotics and drug paraphernalia.

Vallerius' laptop also contained the Tor browser, which lets users hide their true internet protocol (IP) addresses, allowing them to operate anonymously on the network.

Check out The Hacker News to get the Full Story!

When it comes to data breaches, consumers don’t know where to turn
A new study surveyed consumers who had experienced a data breach that exposed their personal information and explored the ways that respondents reacted to the breach and the steps they took to mitigate the risk of financial harm.

Some of the highlights include:
  • Less than half of respondents took basic, recommended steps to protect themselves after the theft of their personal information in a data breach.
  • 80 percent of respondents understood that the data breach meant they were at higher risk for identity theft that could lead to financial harm, reflecting a broad awareness of the risks related to losing your personal information.

Help Net Security is here to fill you in!

What was your favorite story of the week?
What stories or topics would you like to see covered next week?

Sound off in the comments and let us know! :manvery-happy:

2 replies

Userlevel 5
Interesting stuff - a beard did them in! 

BTW, Tor was written by the CIA for their own internal use originally  according to what I have read. They use it all the time to keep track of the dark web I suppose. Who could imagine that the CIA would put spyware to look up the owners in a free browser offering? I have never used tor but guessed early that it used spread spectrum technology from the 1990s in a new way. IMO that would be a good idea for all browsers to use along with encryption end to end (with proxy keys same as SSL now I reason) but I presume it is forbidden as it is the intelligence agencies nervousness about getting hacked themselves that they consider encryption to be munitions. In the spy game secrecy is king I guess. In bureaucracies, secrecy often simply hides incompetence IMO.

Anonymous doesn't seem to be around much anymore either. Maybe the easiest way is not to fight but to cooperate?

For those who care the hot stuff today lookup beacons and JSON. Around 18 months ago, I detected beacons in almost everything I saw. So I started reading some more.

Good stuff JP!
Userlevel 7
Thanks for chiming in & I really appreciate the Support, @! :catlol: