The Weekly Webroot Digest: 9/1/17

• 1 September 2017
  • 22 replies

Userlevel 7
  • Retired Webrooter
  • 1376 replies
Welcome to the Weekly Webroot Digest!

This is a weekly series to highlight the best articles and news stories going on in the Community. 
What was your favorite story? What topics would you like to see? Sound off in the comments! :)

New multi platform malware/adware spreading via Facebook Messenger
Many of us use Facebook Messenger to stay connected with our Friends & Family, but when you see a message from someone you don't expect, your red flag sensors should light right up.

A new malware is spreading via Facebook Messenger that tricks users into clicking a link to a Google doc video.

When the victim clicks on the fake playable movie, the malware redirects them to a set of websites which enumerate their browser, operating system, and other vital information. Depending on the operating system you're running, you will be redirected to various websites.

Please make sure that you don’t click on these links, and always use Webroot!

Burger King has launched WhopperCoin
No, this is not clickbait.

Burger King has launched WhopperCoin, a new crypto-currency in Russia that will allow people to buy burgers using digital coins instead of real cash.

People buying Whopper burgers at Burger King will get one WhopperCoin for each ruble they spend on burgers.

“Now the Whopper is not only a burger that people in 90 different countries love — it’s an investment tool as well. According to the forecasts, cryptocurrency will increase exponentially in value. Eating Whoppers now is a strategy for financial prosperity tomorrow,”
said Ivan Shestov, Head of External Communications at Burger King Russia.

In Soviet Russia, way has you!

IRS Warns of Emails Spreading Ransomware
Another week, another story about people wanting to spread Ransomware in 2017.
If you happen to receive an email reportedly from the IRS and with all the official stamps, CAREFUL!

The IRS alert comes weeks after the IRS issued a series of recommendations for dealing with ransomware attacks as part of its "Don't Take the Bait" drive.

Some of the best recommendations from the campaign to share:
  • Make sure you're aware of ransomware and how you can best protect your personal data.
  • For all your devices, ensure that security patches are installed on operating systems, software and firmware.
  • Back up data regularly and verify the integrity of those backups.[list]
  • Make sure the backup device isn’t constantly connected to the computers and networks they are backing up. This will ensure the backup data remains unaffected by ransomware attempts.
[/list]See what the phishing email looks like for yourself.

Chinese Cyber-Espionage Group Uses Game of Thrones as Phishing Lure
The most-watched show on TV was used as a cyber-espionage unit to lure targets into opening malicious documents sent via email.

Behind the attacks is a cyber-espionage group tracked under the codenames of Deputy Dog, Group 27, or APT17. Several security firms believe the group to be operating out of China.

"The use of a Game of Thrones lure [...] follows a common threat actor technique of developing lures that are timely and relevant, and play on the human factor - the natural curiosity and desire to click that leads to so many malware infections,"
said Darien Huss and Matthew Mesa, two Proofpoint researchers.

A technical breakdown of the recent phishing campaign and the infection process step-by-step is available.

The Pros And Cons Of Self-Driving Cars
With Uber’s robot cars debuting this week in Pittsburgh, many wonder whether driverless technology will improve or endanger our lives.

Our favorite credible news source The Onion weighs the pros and cons of self-driving cars.

What was your favorite story of the week?
What stories or topics would you like to see covered next week?

Sound off in the comments and let us know!

22 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +3
The most common scam right now seems to be helping Huston / flood relief scams.
Remember, giving is good, but go directly to the website of an organization you trust - never a link in an email, even if it appears to be from that organization.
Userlevel 2
Burger coin....really? I can't decide if its genius or completely insane
Userlevel 3
Scammers are getting so crafty and I try to staty away from using certain online resources such as FB messager. Such a shame people will use current events or disasters for their personal illigitimate gains.
Userlevel 7
Badge +33
Good articles. 
Userlevel 7
Badge +48
@ wrote:
The most common scam right now seems to be helping Huston / flood relief scams.
Remember, giving is good, but go directly to the website of an organization you trust - never a link in an email, even if it appears to be from that organization.
I've seen some articles around that too recently. The US-CERT got involved and stated a warning
Userlevel 7
Badge +48
@ wrote:
Burger coin....really? I can't decide if its genius or completely insane
They've really taken "Have it YOUR way" to the next level. 
Userlevel 7
Badge +8
I hope Burger King do this in the uk. I will be minted in no time.
Userlevel 7
Badge +48
@ wrote:
I hope Burger King do this in the uk. I will be minted in no time.
Haha. Burger King fan are ya? I think it's really interesting but could take a little while before it hits the mainstream. 
Userlevel 7
@ wrote:
Good articles. 

Userlevel 3
I'm more motivated to use this than bitcoin.
>> New multi platform malware/adware spreading via Facebook Messenger

...like i had not enough reasons not to "like" FB...
Cheers all
np
Userlevel 4
Badge +4
Also looks like a new wave of locky related RW is on the rise too, and we're hearing of email pretending to be from internal IOT processes - stay safe!
Userlevel 2
I'm waiting for the "McCoin" 🙂
Userlevel 4
Driving in my 2017 Chevy Volt has given me a taste of self-driving cars with its lane assist and adaptive cruise control features. Looking forward to doing remote support while the car drives me to my next appointment. Hyper productivity!!!
Userlevel 4
Badge +6
BurgerCoin - There should just be one common payment that can be used. ApplePay! (And Android Equivalent). It's so much faster than PIN & Chip and more retailers / card holders need to accept it. 
Userlevel 3
Nice articles, it's crazy the amount of people I know as customers who are really careful with emails and phishing, but when it comes to Facebook and using it for messages etc, all of the carefullness goes straight out of the window!
Userlevel 3
Badge +1
I take info like this that I see and send an email to my users - just to remined them
Userlevel 6
Badge +6
I am ammused byt the HBO leak, seems opertunistic to me and very lucrative for the siposed victim.  I typically take info like this and share the articles that I think are pertinent to a spcific user and share them.
Userlevel 2
Badge +3
Using some of these to help keep customers up-to-date and knowledgeable of ongoing/current threats is a good practice.  Thanks for sharing this news! 
Userlevel 7
@ wrote:
I'm waiting for the "McCoin" :)
Good one! :catlol:

Thanks so much for the feedback, Everyone! 
@ @ @ @ @ @ @ @ @
Userlevel 5
Great page to inform our members weekly of the various issues out there. thanks and very much appreciated.
Userlevel 7
Thank you, @! I greatly appreciate it as well.