The Weekly Webroot Digest: 9/22/17

• 22 September 2017
  • 0 replies

Userlevel 7
  • Retired Webrooter
  • 1376 replies
Welcome to the Weekly Webroot Digest!

This is a weekly series to highlight the best articles and news stories going on in the Community. 
What was your favorite story? What topics would you like to see? Sound off in the comments! :)

Mike Malloy has been a huge part of the Community since day one. In the past 7 years, his hard work and Leadership has helped shape the face of Webroot as we know it today.

Check out Mike's personal message to the Community!

[i]

[/i]

How to go 'Incognito' on your web browser, and what it means
First of all, what is Incognito mode?

Incognito mode is a particular method of surfing the web via a web browser. It allows a user to hide their web activities from other users on a single, shared personal computer by automatically erasing their browsing/search history and by deleting all cookies at the end of each session.

Found out the top 3 reasons why it can come in handy!

Avast opens up about CCleaner hack
In case you missed it, the massively popular utility CCleaner was just hacked.

Avast now has something of a PR nightmare on its hands as it tries to rebuild the trust of its users. To this end, company CEO Vince Steckler and CTO Ond?ej Vl?ek have written an article clarifying what happened with CCleaner, and give some details about how they plan to protect their customers -- as well as "correct[ing] some misleading information that is currently circulating."

Steckler and Vl?ek say the attack was highly sophisticated, hence it going undiscovered for four weeks. "In our view, it was a well-prepared operation and the fact that it didn’t cause harm to users is a very good outcome," they say.

Get the Full Story and make sure to update to Version 3.35

[i]

[/i]

Apple's iOS 11 Update is here to address multiple security concerns
It's official! iOS 11 for your iPhone & iPad is here https://

This update brings a number of fixes to security vulnerabilities, making iOS 11 a must-update for your devices. While we may like to delay an update as downloading an annual update right after its release is nothing short of a headache, you might be in for more troubles if you delay installing iOS 11.

You can update your device wirelessly by tapping Settings > General > Software Update.

See all the security issues that Apple has fixed!

[i]

[/i]

First half of 2017 sees more mobile vulnerabilities than all of 2016
A new study by mobile threat defense company Zimperium reveals some pretty staggering statistics.

It finds that 94 percent of Android devices are not running the latest software version available, compared to 23 percent of iOS devices. The most concerning risks associated with iOS devices were malicious configuration profiles and 'leaky apps.' These profiles can allow third parties to maintain persistence on a device, decrypt traffc, synchronize calendars and contacts, track the device's location and more.

Learn more and download the full report for yourself!

What was your favorite story of the week?
What stories or topics would you like to see covered next week?

Sound off in the comments and let us know!

0 replies

Be the first to reply!