Webroot Community Weekly Highlights: 10/20/17

• 20 October 2017
  • 1 reply

Userlevel 7
  • Retired Webrooter
  • 1376 replies
Welcome to the Community Weekly Highlights!
#HappyFriday

This is a weekly series to highlight the best articles and stories happening all across the web. 
What was your favorite story? What topics would you like to see? Sound off in the comments!

Tyler Moffitt chimed in for the article on TEISS!
'“I am quite surprised that the encryption keys are reset and reused if the third message of the four-way handshake is replayed by an attacker. This huge as this affects the majority of wireless devices. The damage to Android is particularly devastating since using "wpa_supplicant" forces the clients into using an "all zero encrypting key" instead of the real encryption key.' 

Make to read the updated article for the most up-to-date info.

Enterprises not confident they can protect mobile data traffic
While companies are becoming increasingly dependent on mobile workers and distributed offices, a new survey reveals that IT staff are not confident they can protect remote workers.

"The findings of the survey show two things in stark contrast to each other: large enterprise organizations know that bandwidth demands are increasing, yet they continue to invest in legacy infrastructure that is not sustainable," says Paul Martini, CEO and co-founder of iboss. "It's time for organizations to tackle this problem head-on and investigate solutions that are scalable to grow along with their bandwidth demands."

Find out more and download the full Report.

[i]

[/i]

Browser Makers Agree to Move Web Documentation to Mozilla's Portal
Who says big companies can't get along?

Mozilla, Microsoft, Google, Samsung, and the W3C have agreed today to unify all their documentation sites under one single roof, on Mozilla's MDN portal.

The MDN portal has over 34,500 documentation pages and over 20,500 contributing users. Mozilla founded the MDN portal in 2005 when the foundation grew out of the old Netscape project. The MDN portal evolved from the old Netscape Navigator browser docs, was initially named the Mozilla Developer Center, and was later rebranded to the Mozilla Developer Network. For who still remembers the browser wars, it's ironic that Microsoft is now moving Edge doc pages to MDN.

Read the full story from Bleeping Computer.

[i]

[/i]

Google and IBM launch open-source security tool for containers

Google and IBM, together with a few other partners, released an open-source project that gathers metadata that developers can use to secure their software.

The API will collect the metadata defining a user’s software environment. One of its main advantages is that it can give devs a better view into when and where the code is being changed, and who’s changing it.

Besides Google and IBM, JFrog, Red Hat, Black Duck, Twistlock, Aqua Security and CoreOS worked on the project.

Get the full scoop.

North Korean Hackers Used Hermes Ransomware to Hide Recent Bank Heist
Evidence suggests the infamous Lazarus Group, a hacking crew believed to be operating out of North Korea, is behind the recent hack on the Far Eastern International Bank (FEIB) in Taiwan.

Merging information from BAE's report published today and a report from last week by McAfee, attackers appear to have used spear-phishing campaigns to compromise computers inside FEIB's network.

Bleeping Computer has detailed the timeline of events.

What story from the last week the most important for you? We love hearing your feedback! 

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +48
And we all thought WPA2 was untouchable. Nice quote Tyler