Webroot Community Weekly Highlights: 11/3/17

• 3 November 2017
  • 2 replies

Userlevel 7
  • Retired Webrooter
  • 1376 replies
Welcome to the Community Weekly Highlights!
#HappyFriday

This is a weekly series to highlight the best articles and stories happening all across the web. 
What was your favorite story? What topics would you like to see? Sound off in the comments!

Webroot's Top 10 Nastiest Ransomware Attacks of 2017
We’re revealing the top 10 nastiest ransomware attacks from the past year!

NotPetya came in on our list as the most destructive ransomware attack of 2017, followed closely by WannaCry and Locky in the number two and three spots, respectively. NotPetya took number one because of its intent to damage a country’s infrastructure. Unlike most ransomware attacks, NotPetya’s code wasn’t designed to extort money from its victims, but to destroy everything in its path.

Read about all 10 on our Threat Blog and be sure to check out the Infographic.

Windows 10 Fall Creator Update Bug Fix
After updating to Windows 10 Fall Creators, users may get notified that access to files and or folders was denied.  Typically, this will happen when creating, updating, moving or deleting existing files and folders.

We’ve identified the root cause and have created a patched version of Webroot SecureAnywhere that is currently undergoing QA testing.   Once all testing is complete, the patched version of SecureAnywhere will be made available to our customers for manual and automated installations using GSM.  We are closely monitoring the inflow of support calls and may push the patched version to all customers if the need arises. 

The next version of Webroot SecureAnywhere, due around December this year, will have the fix included and customers will receive it then as part of the normal deployment processes.

Please utilize one of our two workarounds in the meantime.

[i]

[/i]

Most organizations and consumers believe there is a need for IoT security regulation
90% of consumers lack confidence in the security of Internet of Things (IoT) devices.

Consumers’ main fear (cited by two-thirds of respondents) is hackers taking control of their device. In fact, this was more of a concern than their data being leaked (60%) and hackers accessing their personal information (54%). Despite more than half (54%) of consumers owning an IoT device (on average two), just 14% believe that they are extremely knowledgeable when it comes to the security of these devices, showing education is needed among both consumers and businesses.

Hop on over to Help Net Security to learn more.

[i]

[/i]

Dell Lost Control of Key Customer Support Domain for a Month in 2017
A Website set up by PC maker Dell Inc. to help customers recover from malicious software and other computer maladies may have been hijacked for a few weeks this summer by people who specialize in deploying said malware, KrebsOnSecurity has learned.

Sometime this summer, DellBackupandRecoveryCloudStorage.com was suddenly snatched away from a longtime Dell contractor for a month and exposed to some questionable content. More worryingly, there are signs the domain may have been pushing malware before Dell’s contractor regained control over it.

Krebs has the full story.

macOS Sierra, El Capitan security updates patch KRACK Wi-Fi exploit
On the same day that Apple patched it's front-line operating systems for the KRACK Wi-Fi attack vector, the company has also reached back a bit and issued security updates for Sierra and El Capitan to fix the problem.

Security updates 2017-001 and 2017-004 for Sierra and El Capitan respectively contain just fixes for the exploit that still plagues Android and router manufacturers since its debut earlier in October. Both updates are available through the Mac App Store. 

The exploit takes advantage of a four-way handshake between a router and a connecting device to establish the encryption key. Properly executed, the third step can be compromised, resulting in the re-use of an encryption key —or in some cases in Android and Linux, the establishment of a null key.

AppleInsider has you covered for all things Mac.

What story from the last week the most important for you? We love hearing your feedback! 

2 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +4
Great update, & some good insights - I didn't know about the Win10 problem that for the heads up
Userlevel 7
Not a problem, @. I sure appreciate you chiming in!! :cathappy: