Webroot Weekly Highlights - 11/16/2018

• 16 November 2018
  • 2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +36
This is a weekly highlight of the best articles and news going on in the Community.

See any stories that catch your interest? What would you like to see in the future? Let us know in the comments below!

Windows 10 Quality approach for a complex ecosystem

"While our measurements of quality show improving trends on aggregate for each successive Windows 10 release, if a single customer experiences an issue with any of our updates, we take it seriously. Today, I will share an overview of how we work to continuously improve the quality of Windows and our Windows as a Service approach.  As part of our commitment to being more transparent about our approach to quality, this blog will be the first in a series of more in-depth explanations of the work we do to deliver quality in our Windows releases."

See the full article here.

Malicious code hidden in advert images cost ad networks $1.13bn this year

Malvertising, the practice of embedding malicious code in seemingly innocent online adverts, is evolving through the use of steganography. Files, messages, images, and video can be hidden within content of the same format, potentially leading to malicious redirects and the download of exploit kits.

The steganographic technique is fast becoming a popular method for fraudsters to dupe legitimate ad networks and spread malvertising across legitimate domains, according to researchers from GeoEdge, with a recent string of incidents highlighting the method's capabilities. Malvertising incidents utilizing steganography were first recorded this year. Since the emergence of the first cases, records have been "growing exponentially in Q4 2018," the team says.

See the full article here.

BlackBerry to Acquire Cylance for $1.4 Billion in Cash

BlackBerry on Friday announced that it has agreed to acquire next-generation endpoint security firm Cylance for US $1.4 billion in cash. In addition to the cash payment, BlackBerry will assume unvested Cylance employee incentive awards. The deal is expected to close before the end of BlackBerry’s current fiscal year (February 2019), and Cylance will operate as a separate business unit within BlackBerry.

Cylance, which has raised nearly $300 million in funding, currently has more than 4,000 customers, including more than 20% of the Fortune 500. The company previously said that it had annual revenues over $130 million for fiscal year 2018, and over 90% year-over-year growth.

500 Percent Increase in macOS/iOS Ransomware Attacks During 1H 2018

macOS and iOS users are not as safe as they think they are when it comes to ransomware given that during the first six months of 2018 the number of attacks on macOS/iOS systems reported by managed service providers (MSPs) surged by 500%.

According to Datto's "State of the Channel Ransomware Report" survey which comprises stats gathered from more than 2,400 MSPs from all around the globe, 79% of all questioned MSPs said that ransomware is still a massive threat to small-to-mid-sized businesses (SMBs).

See what our customers are saying about us!

• "Techs were excellent. Held my hands all the way and corrected my mistakes and straighten things out. Very pleased. Thank you."
  • "Been using Webroot for years and had no virus issues. Software does not slow my computer down as other brands did. Customer service is very good."
  • "Webroot is the best protection I have ever used. It lets me know when there is suspicion arising 24/7. Thank you webroot."

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +25
So curious, is Webroot doing anything to help stop these attackes inside images? I know you can't talk about future products, but a hint would be nice. 

Thanks again for a great recap. This was a particularly good colleciton of stories this week. 
Userlevel 7
Badge +36
@ wrote:
So curious, is Webroot doing anything to help stop these attackes inside images? I know you can't talk about future products, but a hint would be nice. 

Thanks again for a great recap. This was a particularly good colleciton of stories this week. 
We are constantly working to improve WSA, and whenever new threats like the one mentioned above emerge, our Threat team is on it.