Webroot Weekly Highlights - 11/30/2018

• 1 December 2018
  • 0 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +36
This is a weekly highlight of the best articles and news going on in the Community.

See any stories that catch your interest? What would you like to see in the future? Let us know in the comments below!

Justice Department Indicts Two Iranians Over SamSam Ransomware Attacks

Faramarz Shahi Savandi, 34, and Mohammad Mehdi Shah Mansouri, 27, were indicted by a federal grand jury in New Jersey on Monday on several counts of computer hacking and fraud charges. The case was unsealed Wednesday, shortly before a press conference announcing the charges by U.S. deputy attorney general Rod Rosenstein.

“The Iranian defendants allegedly used hacking and malware to cause more than $30 million in losses to more than 200 victims,” said Rosenstein. “According to the indictment, the hackers infiltrated computer systems in ten states and Canada and then demanded payment. The criminal activity harmed state agencies, city governments, hospitals, and countless innocent victims.”

See the full article here.

Webroot's 2019 Cybersecurity Predictions

At Webroot, we stay ahead of cybersecurity trends in order to keep our customers up-to-date and secure. As the end of the year approaches, our team of experts has gathered their top cybersecurity predictions for 2019. What threats and changes should you brace for?

See the full article here.

Making a Ransomware Payment? It May Now Violate U.S. Sanctions

Thinking about making a ransomware payment? If so, you may want to think twice before doing so as it could land you in trouble for violating U.S. government sanctions.

This week the Department of Justice unsealed a grand jury indictment against two Iranian hackers allegedly responsible for the SamSam Ransomware. As part of this indictment, for the first time the U.S. Department of the Treasury’s Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC) also publicly attributed cryptocurrency addresses to individuals who were involved in the converting ransomware cryptocurrency payments to fiat currency.

See the full article here.

Product Update: PC Agent Version 9.0.24.37

• Added[list]
  • Support for ELAM (Early Launch AntiMalware) Driver
  • System Analyzer updates
  • Support for Windows 10 RS5 update
  • Fixed
    • Issue with XP netowrking found in 9.0.24.28
    • Addressed network share slowness issues
    • Other bug fixes
    [/list]_____________________________________________________

See what our customers are saying about us!

• "Installs easily, works very well and does not slow down my computer"
    • "It's a great comfort knowing the level of protection that Webroot provides me. Excellent!"
    • "I can't believe how much faster my devices boot up than before, and I feel alot more comfortable while on the web."

• 0 replies

Be the first to reply!