Webroot Weekly Highlights - 6/22/2018

• 22 June 2018
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +36
This is a weekly highlight of the best articles and news going on in the Community.

See any stories that catch your interest? What would you like to see in the future? Let us know in the comments below!

Android Oreo Tips & Tricks

• Disable notification dots [list]
  • Press and hold a blank point on your Home screen
  • Click Home Settings
  • Select the item Notification indicators
  • Deactivate the switch under Allow notification dots
  • Permanent notifications of app behaivor
    • Open the Settings.
    • Select Apps and Notifications.
    • Click on Show all apps.
    • In the menu at the top right (the three dots) select Show system.
    • Now in the list, search for the item Android System and select it.
    • Enter the heading App notifications.
    • Here you'll see a lot of options that can be turned on and off but don't be scared.
    • For applications such as Facebook Messenger, you'll see dedicated switches to hide notification for each app.
    • For applications that consume battery in the background there is no such distinction and we can only hide all warnings or show them all.
    [/list] 
    See the full article here.

One more week to enter the contest!

Submit a response to this thread before the end of next week to be entered in to win a Webroot Growler! While you're at it, we have some great information about ideal cyber hygiene and a survey to see which state's level of risk is closest to your own!

MRG Effitas Efficacy Test Results

I’m very happy to report that Webroot was one of only 3 companies tested to pass all the tests in the MRG Effitas Online Banking / Browser Security Certification Project – Q1 2018.

The others were avast! Internet Security and Kaspersky Internet Security.

These are ALL the vendors assessed:

• avast! Internet Security 18.3.2333
    • Avira Internet Security 15.0.34.27
    • BitDefender Internet Security 2018 22.0.20.260
    • ESET Internet Security 11.0.159.9
    • F-secure Business, Computer Protection 18.4
    • Kaspersky Internet Security 2018 18.0.0.405 (g)
    • McAfee Total Protection 16.0 R10
    • Microsoft Windows Defender with SmartScreen 4.12.16299.15
    • SurfRight HitmanPro.Alert 3.7.6 Build 739
    • Symantec Norton Security 22.14.0.54
    • Trend Micro Maximum Security 12.0.1226
    • Webroot SecureAnywhere 9.0.19.43

Read more about this test here.

New malware from this past week

We've seen a few new threats arise over this past week, here's a look at what's on the horizon of cyber security threats:

See what people have been saying about us

• "Works quietly in the background & has protected computer from infections while doing research on the web. Do not notice any slowdown of computer. Scans are fast!"
    • "We have used Webroot for many years now. Customer support is consistently proficient. The product is priced right, too!"
    • "I've had good and bad anti-virus and anit-malware on every computer I've ever had, baring none WEBROOT is the very best by far of all I've tried."

• 4 replies

Userlevel 7
    Badge +25
    As always, a great round up. Thanks for posting this. I always see something I have not heard about yet. 

On Oreo, one of my biggest gripes about Android is that so many phones do not get upgrades after the first few. For example. my Samsung S8 is less than a year old, but already too old in Samsung's bucket of phones to bother putting out an update for.  That is the one thing about Apple products, they get the updates for quite some time. 
    Userlevel 7
    Badge +36
    @ wrote:
    As always, a great round up. Thanks for posting this. I always see something I have not heard about yet. 

On Oreo, one of my biggest gripes about Android is that so many phones do not get upgrades after the first few. For example. my Samsung S8 is less than a year old, but already too old in Samsung's bucket of phones to bother putting out an update for.  That is the one thing about Apple products, they get the updates for quite some time. 
    I totally agree, in fact for the longest time I would get "Google" phones like the Nexus or Pixel to make sure I got updates first. It really is frustrating to have a Samsung phone that gets it up to a year behind the initial release. I believe a major factor in this is the carrier (ATT, Verizon, etc.) in addition to the manufacturer, so there's a lot of filters for it to get through before the end user sees anything.
    Userlevel 7
    Badge +25
    Thanks. I did forget to mention that carriers are equally to blame. You ar correct there. I get the proble, the market is so saturated with Android phones that it would be very costly to keep them up to date longer. Except that they are the ones selling them. 

Oddly, I had a Sony phone on AT&T that AT&T did not sell in the US. It DID get two major OS updates, and continued to work fine. I think Google needs to learn how to separate carrier updates from OS updates (not a trivial task I am sure) so that we do not feel left out in the cold. 

I also wonder if because I have an AT&T purchased phone now on T-Mobile, I also do not get the update? How do they handle this I wonder? 
    Userlevel 7
    Badge +36
    @ wrote:
    Thanks. I did forget to mention that carriers are equally to blame. You ar correct there. I get the proble, the market is so saturated with Android phones that it would be very costly to keep them up to date longer. Except that they are the ones selling them. 

Oddly, I had a Sony phone on AT&T that AT&T did not sell in the US. It DID get two major OS updates, and continued to work fine. I think Google needs to learn how to separate carrier updates from OS updates (not a trivial task I am sure) so that we do not feel left out in the cold. 

I also wonder if because I have an AT&T purchased phone now on T-Mobile, I also do not get the update? How do they handle this I wonder? 
    I wish they would do that too, feels like one of those things that could be far more simple. It must be associated to your IMEI or provisioning that puts you into different groups, but I'm honestly not sure either.